Tapered vs straight steerer?

Mozomu

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 30, 2018
Hello, I need some help please on my lack of knowledge on mountain bikes. I have a Carrera Vulcan-E (nearly 2 years) and when the battery soon comes to the end of its lifespan, instead of buying a new battery, I am thinking of converting my old hybrid bike Carrera Subway 1 with the Bafang kit BBS01B. (A bit more liberty with its control settings, throttle, etc.)

I use my Vulcan-E almost every day for commuting to work or the occasional long casual bike rides on bridleways and footpaths. On the very rare occasion (maybe once a year) I might be cycling down a very rugged track for a few 100 yards at a fairly slow speed (about 7-10mph).

I see there are some key differences between the Vulcan-E and the Subway 1, but the one key difference is that the Vulcan-E has a tapered steerer on the front fork and the Subway has a straight 1 1/8 steerer instead. I have already changed the Subway fork to a suspension fork and it’s tyres to 1.95 mtb tyres (nothing great, but better than its hybrid tyres)

I am just wondering that because I am a very light person (63kg) and because I am not really a mountain biker that cruises down these very rugged trails at very high speeds, but just on these footpaths and bridleways between 17-23mph, will having a straight 1 1/8 steerer instead of a tapered steerer matter that much?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I like tapered steerers but I'd say not much difference.

Reactions: Mozomu

Mozomu

Nov 30, 2018
Thank you for your responses. I am glad to see that converting my hybrid bike Subway 1 should be okay. No need to pull out my wallet for a new bike then.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Reactions: Mozomu

Mozomu

Nov 30, 2018
Thanks for the advice sjpt. I might actually do that and keep the Vulcan as a backup spare bike.

AlejoBike

Just Joined
Jul 5, 2021
I see there are some key differences between the Vulcan-E and the Subway 1, but the one key difference is that the Vulcan-E has a tapered steerer on the front fork and the Subway has a straight 1 1/8 steerer instead. I have already changed the Subway fork to a suspension fork and it’s tyres to 1.95 mtb tyres (nothing great, but better than its hybrid tyres)
Quick question Mozomu, I just bought a Subway and have been looking to change the fork for a supension fork, but there's not a lot of info around....which one did you get? Any advice in terms of dimensions, travel, etc...??
Many thanks!

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
@AlejoBike - once you know which type of forks will fit your bike, I got some last year from seller "Bankrupt Bike Store" (they're on Ebay & Amazon), basic but very good and very cheap. I like them a lot.