Tarred with the same brush

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
It hasn`t taken long for people in Authority to mention Ebikes in the same breath as EScooters when it comes to Lithium Battery fires . A London Fire Service Person did so yesterday and I noticed someone on You Tube saying that EScooters should be banned for this very reason .

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It hasn`t taken long for people in Authority to mention Ebikes in the same breath as EScooters when it comes to Lithium Battery fires . A London Fire Service Person did so yesterday and I noticed someone on You Tube saying that EScooters should be banned for this very reason .
The Fire Brigades are as bad as RoSPA, seeing disaster everywhere with little justification.

I'm happy with banning e-scooters though, not for battery fire reasons but because they are intrinsically unstable and dangerous on the roads at all times.

The government proposes that they will take the place of car journeys, what utter rubbish. How will someone on one carry two or more carrier bags of shopping or other bulky items, one of the main purposes of urban car journeys? And if not urban journeys, are people really going to try to scoot to the next town or use them for countryside trips, given their very short range?

Apart from anything else the majority of users I've seen have been too young to have the necessary driving licence or to have jobs to commute to.

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
One might speculate that a eBike battery, with big wheels, air tyres and in some cases suspension would have a reduced risk of vibration damage to the battery.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
While watching the BBC TV News yesterday, an e-scooter was shown and it appears to have been registered as a Moped (small plate). So insurance, tax and correct apparel comes to mind. I could not even say that it was 100% in the UK either, but I think it was.
Has anyone else seen such scooters?
By the way, I am not interested in buying one, as to my jaundiced eye, they look to wobbly and dangerous, plus easy to be overlooked by trucks and cars!
regards
Andy

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
While watching the BBC TV News yesterday, an e-scooter was shown and it appears to have been registered as a Moped (small plate). So insurance, tax and correct apparel comes to mind. I could not even say that it was 100% in the UK either, but I think it was.
Has anyone else seen such scooters?
By the way, I am not interested in buying one, as to my jaundiced eye, they look to wobbly and dangerous, plus easy to be overlooked by trucks and cars!
regards
Andy
A tiny number have been registered in the UK and are legal Andy, but since you mention a small number plate, that doesn't conform since they have to have a full size motor cycle number plate.

A number of modifications are necessary to register and get type approval as a moped, including having a seat, usually mounted on a post from the main platform of the scooter.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
A tiny number have been registered in the UK and are legal Andy, but since you mention a small number plate, that doesn't conform since they have to have a full size motor cycle number plate.

A number of modifications are necessary to register and get type approval as a moped, including having a seat, usually mounted on a post from the main platform of the scooter.
WOW! Great info.
Maybe it was from another country...
regards
Andy