Tasman

Joe

Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2008
In the swirl of agattu/pro connect talk not alot said about the tasman.It shares the current kalkhoff family trait of being equally unobtainable but presumably not ordered by anybody yet on the forum. Whether it does indeed arrive in april or may or june (!) what do you think of the brakes? Are they tricky to set up and/or maintain. An internet search shows them up on a few mountain bike forums with general high praise for strong performance and reliability.

JamesC

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 1, 2007
Peterborough, UK
not alot said about the tasman - what do you think of the brakes? Are they tricky to set up and/or maintain. An internet search shows them up on a few mountain bike forums with general high praise for strong performance and reliability.
I fitted Magura HS11 rim brakes to the front of my Torq some 500 miles ago. No troubles at all - performance is very good, no adjustment has been needed yet, very easy to unclip one half of the brake for wheel removal.

James

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Magura are great brakes in every respect, expensive but the best.

Given how good I found the Agattu standard brakes though, they are a luxury.

Joe

Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2008
Nice to have a bit of luxury in your life though, even if it is through your bike.
i had my one and only accident on a drop bar bike back in the 80's coming down a steep urban hill in the rain to a car that pulled out and stayed in my lane. After the collision he came running up to me (now prone in the oncoming lane just infront of a car) waving a piece of his mudguard screaming "look what your bike has done to my car".

after that i raided the piggy bank and bought a mountain bike from a small british builder with drum brakes which i found fantastic and reassuring.

I take your point about the agutta brakes being good but am still attracted by the top and secure performance reported of the magura brakes.

For the extra £150, at current prices, you get a fair bit of luxury over the agutta: upgraded brakes, tyres and hub. I am tempted.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I agree with that Joe, if something like this can be afforded it's well worth it.

Regardless of the performance, the satisfaction and pride of ownership is always good to have.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
The HS11 are highly recommended especially for those doing a daily commute. They are virtually maintenance free. I have had them on my Torq front and rear. I did change the front pads as I thought they were worn but in hindsight it was unnecessary. It is not that the pads are any harder it is just that there is a lot more of them to wear and adjustment is so easy. They are incredibly powerful as well compared to the original Torq brakes.

I am sure that the Agattu's brakes are excellent but I am not sure they will last and almost certainly need constant adjustment with the cable. I will probably consider upgrading them (only the front) and £39 will be well spent in my books.

Last edited: