Technium Privilege (aka Derby/Kalkhoff) Gear Problems

tangent

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2010
I had a problem with my new Technium Privilege the day before yesterday. The gear cable appeared to lengthen so that all the gears slipped down by 2. 7 became 5, 6 became 4, etc. all the way down so that the first 3 gears were all the same. I had assumed that something had happened at the hub end, but I took it all apart and could not find a problem.

Today I found the problem was with the shifter. The gear cable was not properly threaded through the shifter so that the cable drum was not secured as it should have been. I think it was just jammed in somehow. This is extremely sloppy work by Derby Cycles. Unfortunately it was impossible for me to thread the cable properly as the open end had been crushed in the fixing bolt at the hub. So, off to a bike shop tomorrow for a new cable.

For anyone else who has bought one of these cut price bikes, or for that matter another Derby bike such as a Kalkhoff, I would recommend taking a look inside your shifter. The cable should be thread through a hole so that the drum is totally captured. If it is not, then eventually the cable will come loose and you will experience the same problem.

I guess this is one disadvantage with buying a bike remotely – no local bike shop backup. If I had bought a new bike from a LBS I would take it straight back for them to fix. As this came from Wiggle, it is not worth me shipping it back to them for the sake of a £5 cable.

tangent

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2010
Hi Scott,

I am pleased to hear of your arrangement. This is exactly the kind of support that most purchasers need.

Have you ever seen something like the problem I had on any of your bikes? The gear cable was not properly threaded into the shifter.

C

Cyclezee

Hi Tangent,

As Rooel says I would certainly ask Wiggle to sort it out or reimburse you the cost having the cable repaired locally.
If feel sure they must have had issues with non-electric bikes they sell all over the country and being a reputable company should be able to resolve the problem.

J:) hn

tangent

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2010
I have bought a new cable now, but I will contact Wiggle. It will be interesting to see what they have to say. Initially I thought this may have been my fault as I replaced the sprocket on the hub with an 18T and thought I may not have put it all back properly.

tangent

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2010
Fitted my new gear cable last night. What a difference! The gear changes are much smoother now. I would not be surprised if much of the awfulness I had experienced with the 7 speed hub was down to the incompetent way that the cable had been fitted. I think this must be incompetence as I cannot really see how it would have saved anyone any time by not fitting the cable properly.

Hopefully I will not be re-alingning the gears every couple of days anymore either.

I would urge anyone with one of these bikes just to take a look inside the shifter to check the cable. I cannot believe that this is just a one off error.

C

Cyclezee

As I have said before, both my Technium and 2 1/2 yearold Kalkhoff with the 7 speed hub and have not experienced any problems hopefully yours was a one off Tangent.

J:) hn

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
And absolutely no problems with the 7 speed Agattu that both A to B magazine and I tested thoroughly in turn. It just liked the usual slight pause when changing that the 7 speed does. I recently also rode a well used 7 speed power-boosted* Agattu on a hilly test route in the North Downs and found no problems at all with it's drive and gearchange despite it's doubled power.

* Lips sealed. :cool:

tangent

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2010
And absolutely no problems with the 7 speed Agattu that both A to B magazine and I tested thoroughly in turn. It just liked the usual slight pause when changing that the 7 speed does. I recently also rode a well used 7 speed power-boosted* Agattu on a hilly test route in the North Downs and found no problems at all with it's drive and gearchange despite it's doubled power.

* Lips sealed. :cool:
Double powered Agattu, but lips sealed?

I will not probe, but may we expect an announcement of some sort in due course?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Not up to me I'm afraid, but possibly not because it's near 1000 watts peak power was achieved by a risky strategy. A good way to stress the 7 speed hub though, which stands up to it ok.