Tern gsd s00 review

Bus biker55

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2019
Tyne and Wear
Hi all.
I have recently bought a tern gsd s00. These are my 1st impressions of the bike.
My bike has the front rack fitted, along with the rear short bed tray & panniers, it also has a second 500wh power pack fitted so she is a heavy old beast at 35kg. The bike comes with the performance cx motor and cvt hub gearing.
Given the above specs, you could be forgiven for assuming it would ride like a tank. Wrong!! This bike has no right to be as sprightly, responsive and flickable as it is, it is mega!
The panniers (standard) are massive. I have the lower decks on mine, which offer extra support. I have not filled them to capacity as yet but they seem very well made and durable.
The carrying capacity of the bike is huge, passengers (I've had both kids on the back, and my wife, though not altogether!), shopping or cargo.
The frame is very rigid and sturdy. It is not an uncomfortable bike, but the ride is on the firm side, I am currently experimenting with tyre pressure to fine tune this, I may invest in a cane creek thud buster St in the future
In short I am delighted with my bike.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
the ride is on the firm side, I am currently experimenting with tyre pressure to fine tune this, I may invest in a cane creek thud buster St in the future
In short I am delighted with my bike.

A £10 gel saddle and a suspension seatpost, even an inexpensive one, will work wonders for you. :)

Bus biker55

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2019
Tyne and Wear
A £10 gel saddle and a suspension seatpost, even an inexpensive one, will work wonders for you. :)

Hi LeighPing,
Like I said, it is not an uncomfortable bike, just firm. Most seat posts have an up and down action. The thud buster is a parallelagram design (more back and down) and I think it would suit my commute better. Maybe when my mushy old butt firms up a bit it won't matter as much!

• :D
Reactions: LeighPing

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
The Thud Buster is very expensive. Also look at the Suntour; still fairly expensive but much less so.
My wife really enjoys it on the back of the tandem; and lots of good reviews all round.
suntour-sp17-ncx
(lots of other supliers too)

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I've recently changed from a Thudbuster to a hydraulic dropper post to aid getting on and off the Riese and Muller bike in my avatar.

Seems to me the Thudbuster didn't do a lot, although I didn't ride the bike with a rigid post to compare.

Too early to tell if I will miss it.

I could be persuaded to sell it, and I reckon with the shim it would fit your Tern bike.

That could be checked, but at the moment the post is in my local bike shop on the off chance they find a customer for it.

I have the three supplied chocs.

The hardest one is fitted, so it would be worth trying one of the softer ones to see if that made the suspension more effective.

Bus biker55

Pedelecer
Dec 29, 2019
Tyne and Wear
I've recently changed from a Thudbuster to a hydraulic dropper post to aid getting on and off the Riese and Muller bike in my avatar.

Seems to me the Thudbuster didn't do a lot, although I didn't ride the bike with a rigid post to compare.

I could be persuaded to sell it, and I reckon with the shim it would fit your Tern bike.

That could be checked, but at the moment the post is in my local bike shop on the off chance they find a customer for it.

The hardest one is fitted, so it would be worth trying one of the softer ones to see if that made the suspension more effective.
Hi rob
Thanks for the offer but I hav

Thanks RobF,
But I have already purchased my thud buster. I find it makes a massive difference on my bike as I have a rigid frame. It made my cold ride to work at 3.15am almost bearable!

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Is there any way to transfer the energy generated in a suspension seatpost into saddle heat (or better still glove heat)?

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Hi rob
Thanks for the offer but I hav

Thanks RobF,
But I have already purchased my thud buster. I find it makes a massive difference on my bike as I have a rigid frame. It made my cold ride to work at 3.15am almost bearable!
Good to hear a Thudbuster is working for you.

As I said, it didn't seem to do a lot for me, but I might change that view after a couple of long rides using the dropper.

Luckily for you, your bike is designed to take a standard seat post inside the longer post that goes into the frame.

My AVE MH7 is a similar compact frame 20" wheel Bosch ebike, but it has one long seat post, so no chance of putting another type in its place.

Related Articles

Advertisers