Tern Link front forks

John Galvin

Pedelecer
May 14, 2014
Hi

I've just taken delivery of my new Tern Link P9 with the intention of fitting a front electric hub.
I ordered a steel front fork at the same time. This is for the D8 specifically but I hope it fits. I'll be bringing it to my bike mechanic later today.
It looks like the fork will have to be widened by just under 10 mm at first glance. Is this a big problem and what is the best way to do this?

I've also noticed that the lugs for the wheel axle seem not to be parallel - they're slightly turned out - is that normal?

The wheel also has a quick release system. Should I replace this with normal nuts or is quick release even compatible with a motorised hub?

TIA

D

Deleted member 4366

An Ebike motor has a solid axle, so quick-release isn't possible.

The drop-outs will go parallel when you bolt the motor in.

To widen the forks, yo can either jack them wider with a bit of threaded bar (10 mm) or a couple of pieces of wood (planks), which you pull apart to lever the legs outwards.. You have to go wider than you need to exceed the elastic limit, then they'll spring back a bit..

Reactions: John Galvin

John Galvin

Pedelecer
May 14, 2014
Delighted to report that the D8 steel fork fits the P9 perfectly. My bike guy told me that it was an easy swap.
As the bike was delivered with a puncture today was the first opportunity to ride it.
I only rode a mile or so back to my office but I was extremely impressed with the ride quality, comfort and speed. I'd highly recommend the P9. The gears don't seem to index very well but I think they just need adjusting. I'll break out the tools tomorrow.
I'm half wondering do I need to convert it as it's so good but I'm going to go ahead anyway.
When I dropped the bike off and again when I collected it, a customer asked was it an electric bike, so just on that basis alone I think I have to go ahead. Can't disappoint my public!
I'll make a final decision re batteries etc over the weekend before ordering but it looks like the front hub motor is a runner after all.

Hi

I've just taken delivery of my new Tern Link P9 with the intention of fitting a front electric hub.
I ordered a steel front fork at the same time. This is for the D8 specifically but I hope it fits. I'll be bringing it to my bike mechanic later today.

TIA