tested electric bikes

echowind

Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2008
Went to the Spezi 2009 special bike show in Germany. Tried out quite a few electric bicycles for a few hours. Good experience, saved me a wad of money since I wasn't really impressed by most of them. Decided to wait a few years untill the technology improves and my body does the opposite. Bikes that stood out head and shoulders above the rest were the Swiss flyer and some bionx powered bike, the bionx just shaded it on build quality and ride. The heinzmanns were dull and noisey and the pro connects disapointing. Perhaps they were bad examples. A shaft driven german bike rode better than I thought. This was my first experience of riding electric bicycles.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks for the report Echowind. I'm also a cynic where e-bikes are concerned, often feeling they aren't as good as they could be, though in many cases it's the influence of silly legislation that causes designs to fall short.

Among the Panasonic powered bikes, I think you'd have found the Kalkhoff Tasman a better bike for comparison with the similarly powered BikeTech Flyers, since like them it's biased on quality and comfort.

UrbanPuma

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2007
Among the Panasonic powered bikes, I think you'd have found the Kalkhoff Tasman a better bike for comparison with the similarly powered BikeTech Flyers, since like them it's biased on quality and comfort.
So...Flecc, are you going to upgrade to a Kalkhoff anytime soon? :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
So...Flecc, are you going to upgrade to a Kalkhoff anytime soon? :D
No, I'm more than happy with the Q-bike I built for myself. If I didn't have that an Agattu or Tasman would be around the top of the list of the bikes I like, though I'd need two mass market bikes. Nothing on the market can do anything like all the jobs the Q-bike does, or as well.

poppy

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
Covas, Ferrol. La Coruña. Spain
No, I'm more than happy with the Q-bike I built for myself. If I didn't have that an Agattu or Tasman would be around the top of the list of the bikes I like, though I'd need two mass market bikes. Nothing on the market can do anything like all the jobs the Q-bike does, or as well.
Tony, I would have thought that any of the Pro Connect being lighter would do a better job for a bike that needs to be pedalled...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Tony, I would have thought that any of the Pro Connect being lighter would do a better job for a bike that needs to be pedalled...
The difference in weight is tiny Poppy. The difference of about 4 kilos weight won't show up in the performance of bike and rider, weighing typically from 90 to 110 kilos.

I'd rather have the greater robustness of the other two models.