Thank-you to all- this Forum is great!

Wooky72

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 18, 2010
Just want to say thank-you to all here, it's made for great reading over the last 3 months since buying my Giant Lafree Lite, and I've learnt so much from knowing nothing at all about electric bikes!

It's got me back into cycling after years, (although only a mere 38...) I'd forgotton how much I loved it and the pedelec part makes it much more fun. I now cycle to work and all my friends think I've gone a bit mad :D

And the most exciting part......after toying with different possibilities of bikes to upgrade to, I feel very lucky to have just got hold of an ex-demo step-through Kalkoff Agattu!

So thank-you for all the good advice, especially to Flecc, who really does know it all ;)
Anna

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Reminds me of getting my first ebike a couple of years ago. A memorable experience and much of it thanks to this forum. Good luck Anna. :)

John L

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 23, 2007
Just want to say thank-you to all here, it's made for great reading over the last 3 months since buying my Giant Lafree Lite, and I've learnt so much from knowing nothing at all about electric bikes!

It's got me back into cycling after years, (although only a mere 38...) I'd forgotton how much I loved it and the pedelec part makes it much more fun. I now cycle to work and all my friends think I've gone a bit mad :D

And the most exciting part......after toying with different possibilities of bikes to upgrade to, I feel very lucky to have just got hold of an ex-demo step-through Kalkoff Agattu!

So thank-you for all the good advice, especially to Flecc, who really does know it all ;)
Anna
I know how you feel Anna :) . It's 10 years since I did any serious cycling and commuting on my ebike this summer has given a new enthusiasm for cycling with and without the motor - I've got my old road bike up and running again and I've been out on it a few times now.

Good luck with the agattu :) from what I hear its the bees knees.

John

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks Anna, Dave and Poppy (V). :)

For any baffled by these references, many people PM or email me through my websites with detailed queries, so a large number of answers tailored for individual's specific requirements are never seen here in the forum.

Maybe not ideal, but sometimes people feel embarrassed to ask highly specific questions in the forum, especially if calling for a range of detailed answers when they need a personalised service.

Stumpi

Pedelecer
Dec 3, 2009
Scotland
You're spot on Wooky

I remember how in the dark I was when I first joined the forum and how informed I feel now. I reckon the forum must have saved its members 1000s of pounds over the years as well as encouraging people back on to two wheels who may not have gotten there alone

Last edited:

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Thanks Anna, Dave and Poppy (V). :)

For any baffled by these references, many people PM or email me through my websites with detailed queries, so a large number of answers tailored for individual's specific requirements are never seen here in the forum.

Maybe not ideal, but sometimes people feel embarrassed to ask highly specific questions in the forum, especially if calling for a range of detailed answers when they need a personalised service.
I know at the beginning I did ask Flecc a question via pm rather than the forum but in retrospect I think it would be better if people didn't do that. I know on other forums the "guru" specifically request that questions are shared with all members. Of course there will always be some things that are better done privately (for example where a company is involved and you don't want to necessarily cause commercial harm particularily if it is fledgling company - and there may be other better examples).

Of course many of the questions have been asked before and you can find a solution via a search. This forum is now a great resource!

These views are mine personally of course and as you say many more come directly via your website.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I fully agree Harry, I would much prefer all questions be asked in the open forum. In the opening year of this forum I did redirect those sending PMs on nearly all occasions, but this produced two undesirable results.

The first was that some didn't do that, just vanished with their query unanswered.

But the second and most common was that they would start using the contact button on one of my three e-bike websites to email me. Of course that then demanded a direct answer and was even more undesirable from a forum point of view. I do have links to the forum from my main sites, indeed I used my websites to get this forum started for Russell back in September 2006, but some seem to miss those links.

I don't want to remove the contact buttons from those websites since some of the queries are very highly specific and require lengthy and very detailed technical answers, sometimes not suitable for universal publication.

Last edited: