That's the one! 7.66 kg wow

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Amazing and even with the larger battery its only 9.90kgs

I love the throttle and power warning lights in the bell......ingenious man :cool:

Lynda :)

bazwaldo

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2010
Very interesting but isn't the claim of 120 miles and climbing 13,000ft on a day trip rather optimistic!?!

Barry.

GaRRy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 18, 2012
Tamworth
Very interesting but isn't the claim of 120 miles and climbing 13,000ft on a day trip rather optimistic!?!

Barry.
I get the impression that despite his age he could give most cyclists a run for their money even on a normal bike so he is only using the electrics on the really tough bits.

melspea

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2013
All credit to the gentleman for his development work but anyone over in the UK can purchase something along the same principles from that firm down in Winchester. Ok, their bikes are double the weight of the one seen in the link but the small battery, used sparingly, can allow some fairly lengthy trips.

I wonder how many ebikers have never considered/never heard of the Cytronex system and bought one of those 30kg clunkers then used (had to use!) power all the time when they ride. If I were in England, I'd certainly consider that type of bike as they have power when needed but are light enough to ride easily over most terrain. I think those bottle batteries are good for up to maybe 20 miles but in all honesty, how many ebikers actually ride that far in one go?

Melissa

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011

Barry.
the guy is an athlete, he runs marathons, he sure can ride 120 miles in a day without assistance.
BTW, what is in his battery? must be a Sulfur one to pack 800WH into that space.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
As I have said many times on this forum, I am a big fan of carrying only the battery size/weight that you need for a trip. My daily use (10 mile round trip commute) DIY battery weighs 1kg, 36V, 3.0AH and will give me around 15 miles albeit in flat Cambridge. I also have a DIY 2kg, 6AH battery. This is my lightest electric folding bike a Brompton M2L-X at 11.5kg excluding bag/battery.

Even if you had a longer commute of say 10 miles each way you could keep a charger at work.

The trick is to get the battery sizing right and to make sure you dont take it down below 1/3 charge to ensure it lasts you a few years. The beauty of the DIY battery route (not for all I know) is if a cell goes its easy and cheap to replace. I still have my original DIY battery which was used daily for over three years and has 6000 miles on it. Changed two cells in that time.

Of course using Lithium Polymer batteries is another alternative, but not advisable unless you are very confident in their safe use.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
I should add that unlike a folding bike that is build to be carried that I don't really understand, within reason, say around 15-20kg the need to get a touring/mountain bike weight down given that you don't need to carry it and once you put luggage on it the weight shoots up anyway ?

Regards

Jerry

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
Climbing, acceleration, ground handling ie. through gates designed to stop motor bikes.
Also off road I find it easier to control/throw/jump a light bike.

But the above only applies if you are fit and like extracting maximum performance from your bike, now days an over weight cruiser does the job :)

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
My Battery selection, though I have a fourth option now as well.

Regards

Jerry