The Best Electric Bike????

peckerman

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 22, 2008
Ok so here's a little game to play, if you're not all too busy arguing about helmets, lights,what to wear, bike names, zip ties and what car each other drives....:D

I've listed what I can think of as the most popular E-bikes. Now some aren't on here, I know, but these are (as far as I can think) the big players over here. Each person gets 2 points. One to give to your favourite, one to take from your least favourite. Each brand starts off with ten points. Each person can only post and give/take points once. At the end, theoretically you will be left with the most popular? To give/take your points simply copy paste the list below, and alter your 2 points. NO CHEATING! And it would be nice if everyone gives a SHORT reason for there selection. It is an opinion so you can't be wrong, it could be function, price, performance or simply how pretty it looks.

Powerbyke-10
Giant-10
Ezee-10
Kalkhoff-10
Powacycle-10
Wisper-10
Urban mover-10
Gazelle-10
Sparta-10

peckerman

Aug 22, 2008
I'll start off with my opinion

Powerbyke-10
Giant-10
Ezee-10
Kalkhoff-11 * for being German built and pretty
Powacycle-10
Wisper-9 * for looking a bit ugly in my opinion
Urban mover-10
Gazelle-10
Sparta-10

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Powerbyke-10
Giant-10
Ezee-10
Kalkhoff-12
Powacycle-10
Wisper-9
Urban mover-10
Gazelle-10
Sparta-9

One on the Kalkhoff since it's well built allrounder premium bike suited to British conditions.

One off the Sparta since it has to go back to an often distant fully equipped agent just to take the back wheel out, and it can't climb hills due to it's weak direct drive motor. It's wonderful quality and styling cannot make up for those crippling failures.

P.S. I've altered my points cumulatively from the preceding post. Do you want that or each person to start from the 10 base?

Last edited:

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
The best

The best electric bike does not exist as this is only down to personal choice,based on looks performance needed on their local terrain, price and suitabillity to an individual,although i feel happy to advise possible electric bike options to suit peoples budgets,i do not think anybody is quallified to state which is the best electric bike.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
No Heinzmann? they look a nice bike but expensive.....

peckerman

Aug 22, 2008
Yep you got it Flecc, then eventually we will be left with the most popular. And it's just a bit of fun guys before anyone gets upset.;)

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Powerbyke-10
Giant-10
Ezee-10
Kalkhoff-13
Powacycle-10
Wisper-9
Urban mover-9
Gazelle-10
Sparta-9

I agree on the Kalkhoffs, but think the poor UM customer service (with over the top PR) deserves a deduction.

John

Phil the drill

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 14, 2008
TR9
Powerbyke-10
Giant-10
Ezee-10
Kalkhoff-12
Powacycle-10
Wisper-10
Urban mover-9
Gazelle-10
Sparta-9

Ok, I.ve got a Wisper & I like it so it does it for me.
Kalhkhoff, sounds like a relative of Boris Karloff. Made by ultra functional utilitarian robots (Germans), and far too popular for its own good.....
Phil

PS. I Know it's a naff reason, but I'm not being eintirely serious here........

Last edited:

The_Bike_Whisperer

Pedelecer
Jul 30, 2008
Powerbyke-10
Giant-10
Ezee-10
Kalkhoff-12
Powacycle-10
Wisper-11
Urban mover-9
Gazelle-10
Sparta-9

I chose the Wisper based on design, practicality, fun and durability, it has met my requirements, with the exception of the brakes which do need improving.

John

The_Bike_Whisperer

Pedelecer
Jul 30, 2008
Powerbyke-9
Giant-10
Ezee-10
Kalkhoff-12
Powacycle-10
Wisper-11
Urban mover-9
Gazelle-10
Sparta-9

Sorry guys and girls had to post again as I did not remove a point from my negative choice. The Powerbyke sounds a bit too heavy hence lost a point. This completes the voting from the North Swindon Jury.

John

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Powerbyke-9
Giant-9
Ezee-10
Kalkhoff-13
Powacycle-10
Wisper-11
Urban mover-9
Gazelle-10
Sparta-9

I have given a point to Kalkhoff as the bike has exceeded my expectations and it isn’t very often that you buy something and find that it is actually better than advertised.

I have taken a point off Giant for producing their latest hub motored bike. I have ridden one and although well made, it seemed slow and heavy. A definite step backwards from their Panasonic powered earlier efforts.

aaannndddyyy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2007
Norwich Norfolk
Ezee upgradable can take extra power (36 volt motor can take 48 volt) controllers can be upgraded.
Kalkhoff for all the reasons above plus very expensive.

Powerbyke-10
Giant-10
Ezee-11
Kalkhoff-9
Powacycle-10
Wisper-10
Urban mover-10
Gazelle-10
Sparta-10

Last edited:

ElephantsGerald

Pedelecer
Mar 17, 2008
Herefordshire, HR2
Powerbyke-9
Giant-9
Ezee-11 (from aaannndddyyy)
Kalkhoff-12 (from aaannndddyyy)
Powacycle-9 (from me)
Wisper-12 (from me)
Urban mover-9
Gazelle-10
Sparta-9

How did the Kalkhoff go from 13 to 9 in one posting?!?

aaannndddyyy, you must have copied the scores from the original posting. I've added my scores to the latest scores, and incorporated aaannndddyyy's scores too.

Right.
+1 To Wisper, goes without saying really!!
-1 To Powacycle because no-one else has, and they seem a bit under-powered.

Regards,

Elephants

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
Powerbyke-9
Giant-9
Ezee-11
Kalkhoff-11
Powacycle-9
Wisper-13
Urban mover-9
Gazelle-10
Sparta-9

Kalkhoff minus: Too much farting about with rear sprockets

Wisper Plus: Huge range

Last edited:

fcurran

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2007
Bath
www.powabyke.com
Powabyke-10 (+ 1)
Giant-9
Ezee-11
Kalkhoff-11
Powacycle-8 (- 1)
Wisper-13
Urban mover-9
Gazelle-10
Sparta-9

Reasons...Powabyke cos I work for them and they are work horses. "It does what it says on the tin!"

Powacycle as they are the only realistic competitor in the Powabykes price category from the list and their name looks/sounds suspiciously familiar!

PS I have changed the spelling of Powabyke from Powerbyke!
PPS I have corrected Powacycles scores!

Regards

FrankC
Powabyke Ltd

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks for the corrections Frank.

Reminder to all, scores are cumulative, please copy and paste the list from the last post.

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
Powabyke-11 (+ 1)
Giant-9
Ezee-11
Kalkhoff-10 (-1)
Powacycle-8
Wisper-13
Urban mover-9
Gazelle-10