The Dog Is OK

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Cycling to work on my ebike this morning along the mixed cycle come coastal foot path.

On a narrow section, 10mph ish. The owner saw me coming and immediately called his dog out of the bushes across the path. Right at the last seconds.

Upon hearing him call I realised he was probably calling a dog. I slowed as much as possible before the inevitable impact.

I'm no expert on dogs, other than to say it was a rather large one. I came to a raipd halt as the dog wedged benath the front wheel.

It makes a change for me to get the dog and not the otherway round.

On a serious note, the Dog and bike inspected, no damage to either and the dog owner apologised.

Would I be daft in assuming that one should keep ones dog on a lead when walking on cycle paths?

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
And if you keep it on a lead you can walk on one side of the path with the dog on the other ...

Eaglerider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 25, 2011
East Sussex
I have experienced a number of unfortunate incidents with dogs whilst cycling. I have been bitten on three separate occasions, one of which was rather frightening. I continue to be astonished by the arrogance of some dog owners. Most are polite and sensible, but a sizeable proportion of them feel there is nothing wrong with their long toothed quadraped routinely attacking members of the public. They do not accept that allowing or even encouraging their pet to attack you is a serious offence.

I am getting sick and tired of these unpleasant altercations, and I fear an ugly situation may occur. Why should I have to accept being attacked at all.

Makes me mad!!!!

Gdread

Pedelecer
Sep 9, 2012
Staffordshire
It seems to be getting worse, had three dogs blocking the cycle path/foot path - exchanged a few words with one of the owners. I believe its a offence to not have proper control where theres a risk of injury.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
And if you keep it on a lead you can walk on one side of the path with the dog on the other ...
Perhaps a short lead by ones side? Much the same as one would hold the hand of a small child in a similar location.

Eaglerider, I know where you're coming from. Been chased on cycle and bitten twice myself. Not acceptable but not the norm either.

This particular dog owner was a nice guy, just one of lifes moments and luckily no harm done.

amigafan2003

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 12, 2011
but a sizeable proportion of them feel there is nothing wrong with their long toothed quadraped routinely attacking members of the public. They do not accept that allowing or even encouraging their pet to attack you is a serious offence.
A swift kick to the head (the dog, not the owner) usually enlightens them.

Why should I have to accept being attacked at all.
You don't have to accept it. I killed a dog that went for my 2 yr old daughter - the law will fully support you - although you'll still have to spend an afternoon at the nick answering questions.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Those 15 ft retractable leads are the worst - You can't see 'em stretched across the path!

It's often better if the owner leaves the mutt to it's own devices - At least you've a reasonable chance of guessing which way it's going to move - if at all: Big dogs don't seem to realize their backside is 3 or 4 feet from their head & leave it sticking out across the track.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
There is a cycle path near to where I live that is used by me as both a cyclist and a dog owner. Because it is designated as a cycle path (Number 67 if I remember correctly), I don't believe that it gives cyclists exclusive use. I certainly let my dog run free to chase squirrels and retrieve sticks that I throw for him. It's what dogs do. If I can grab him, I'll hold on to him to let a cyclist pass, but that's not always possible, especially if there is a squirrel in the vicinity. (No squirrels have died. He just flicks them over with his nose and then leaves them alone.)

When I cycle along the same path, I come across dogs running lose and I have to slow down in anticipation of one running out in front of me. I don't think that it's fair to expect people to keep their dogs on a lead and therefore restricted because cyclists don't want to be inconvenienced by having to slow down for a potential hazard. We just need to be aware of each other and do our best to be polite and courteous.

103Alex1

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2012
I don't think that it's fair to expect people to keep their dogs on a lead and therefore restricted because cyclists don't want to be inconvenienced by having to slow down for a potential hazard.
Have to admit I rarely use cycle paths because with slowing down for walkman-wearing pedestrians jay-walking, dogs on leads, huge puddles and heaps of leaves and cyclists stopped in the middle of the path chatting to pedestrians instead of standing to the side it's often just as quick to use the roads. You don't have to actually stop quite as much though - as there are no traffic lights to worry about !

I did notice last couple of weeks that just about every person on a MTB in town rides on the pavements though - only roadies, some 700c hybrids and eBikers really ride on the roads. Perhaps it's something to do with those fat knobbly tryes and 26" wheels making it far too hard work to pick up enough speed to work with a traffic flow ?

I've never seen a dog run a red light or wear lycra (although, with pampered fashion mutts, I'm not too sure the latter doesn't exist).
I expect you'd have to shave the mutts' legs in order to get proper grip and decent aerodynamics :)

Haku

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2007
Gloucestershire
One cyclepath I regularly use I often see dogs and always slow down - they're unpredictable so I never know if I have to brake suddenly or if they'll see me as something they should avoid, when the owner holds onto their dog(s) or tell them to stay put I always make sure to thank them verbally or look them in the eye and nod to let them know I'm greatful.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
In the past with dogs I've preferred to give then the freedom of not being on a lead, but I've always trained them to reliably freeze on the spot at my command "Stay", no matter what the circumstance. One border collie was so good at it she'd even freeze with a leg in the air!

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
One border collie was so good at it she'd even freeze with a leg in the air!
Do you fancy training mine to do that? He's a good boy most of the time and very obedient, but the excitement levels escalate when there are squirrels about and this causes temporary deafness.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Do you fancy training mine to do that? He's a good boy most of the time and very obedient, but the excitement levels escalate when there are squirrels about and this causes temporary deafness.
Squirrels and foxes are a big problem, hardly any breeds of dog can be trained to ignore them. I've only been successful in that with one border collie and a friend's alsatian that I often looked after at weekends, the latter dog an exceptionally intelligent one.

The collie let me down slightly on one occasion when we both froze on seeing a badger blundering along among trees just outside it's sett at dusk. She stayed frozen and silent until the badger almost bumped into my leg which caused her to growl a warning, causing the badger to flee underground.

Storcker

Pedelecer
Nov 24, 2012
I've always thought dog walkers should be banned from public spaces. Taking the dog out for a walk usually just means taking it out to crap anywhere but the dog owners land.
Whenever I meet a dog out cycling I find the encounter is safer if the dog is without its owner as the owner calls the dog which then instead of taking note of you approaching just runs to the owner in front of you.
My other pet hate on shared cycleways is the two women, and it is always women, who have to walk side by side although they can see the path is busy with other walkers and cyclists.

muckymits

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2011
I've always thought dog walkers should be banned from public spaces. Taking the dog out for a walk usually just means taking it out to crap anywhere but the dog owners land.
Whenever I meet a dog out cycling I find the encounter is safer if the dog is without its owner as the owner calls the dog which then instead of taking note of you approaching just runs to the owner in front of you.
My other pet hate on shared cycleways is the two women, and it is always women, who have to walk side by side although they can see the path is busy with other walkers and cyclists.
And the same ones complain about us churning the grass up despite the fact its all horseshoe shapes. :mad:

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
Talking about dog crap always reminds me of an old lorry driving mate of mine, Dave,who has sadly passed away. He was out walking his dog one evening when he was accosted by one of his neighbours.The conversation went like this.
Neighbour. " I am glad I`ve caught you, I have been meaning to have a word with you about your dog."
Dave. "Why, what is the problem?"
Neighbour."I think it`s your dog that keeps crapping on my lawn."
Dave. "No, it`s definitely not my dog."
Neighbour. "But how can you be so sure?"
Dave. "Cos my dog always sh*ts behind the settee..."

And while on the subject, everybody goes on about cleaning up after your dog, and rightly so. But horse riders allow their horses to drop huge piles of crap on roads and paths, and nobody says a thing.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
And while on the subject, everybody goes on about cleaning up after your dog, and rightly so. But horse riders allow their horses to drop huge piles of crap on roads and paths, and nobody says a thing.
I can sort of see why. Horse dung tends to be more fibrous and grass like in texture. Dog ** on the other hand (not literally), is a disgusting smelly paste. Given the choice, I know which I'd rather have stuck to the sole of my shoe.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
As far as I'm concerned; if I'm expected to pick up my dog's crap, then all horse-riders should carry a bucket & scoop as part of their equippage..... And damn well use them.