The future of bike locking

Haku

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2007
Gloucestershire
Very nice :)

Just have to make sure someone else doesn't 'lock' one up just below yours or it'll be stuck up there until the other guy takes theirs down.

yusstay

Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2010
Angus
Or if my wisper slipped down it would maim some poor biddy passing by:p

Barnowl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2008
Heh heh :D who says the Germans don't have a sense of humor.

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
Lol - that is brilliant...

Does this make anyone else want to try and shimmy up the lamp post and unhook the bike? Just me?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Lol - that is brilliant...

Does this make anyone else want to try and shimmy up the lamp post and unhook the bike? Just me?
Exactly my thought, and I think our UK teenagers would see it as a challenge impossible to ignore!

Scimitar

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 31, 2010
Ireland
They won't get a chance - some jobsworth will be along to shout, "Oi, you can't do that 'ere!"

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
They won't get a chance - some jobsworth will be along to shout, "Oi, you can't do that 'ere!"
That's right, it's actually an offence in the UK to lock a bike to a lamp post. Could also be true of other countries as well.

In fairness, access is needed at all sorts of times to the hatch at the base and they have to be painted at times. These functions are usually contracted out so lack of full access could bring complications.

When parking meters were first introduced to London many decades ago, a special provision was made that the correct place to park a bike in a parking zone was locked to a meter post on the pavement side. I don't know if that regulation is still in place, but it's useless anyway, the bike with lock can be lifted over the meter post! :rolleyes:

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
I didn't know that!

Still as it is an offence to tweet ill advised jokes on twitter, this shouldn't surprise me...

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
That's right, it's actually an offence in the UK to lock a bike to a lamp post. Could also be true of other countries as well.

In fairness, access is needed at all sorts of times to the hatch at the base and they have to be painted at times. These functions are usually contracted out so lack of full access could bring complications.

When parking meters were first introduced to London many decades ago, a special provision was made that the correct place to park a bike in a parking zone was locked to a meter post on the pavement side. I don't know if that regulation is still in place, but it's useless anyway, the bike with lock can be lifted over the meter post! :rolleyes:
London councils recently tried to get the law changed so they could remove bikes from any street furniture they wanted, some traffic wardens even threatened people with it before the law was passed, Fortunately it got thrown out. :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
London councils recently tried to get the law changed so they could remove bikes from any street furniture they wanted, some traffic wardens even threatened people with it before the law was passed, Fortunately it got thrown out. :)
Good, I don't know how railings stand in this. Some inner South London boroughs have every inch of pavement edge railings covered with bikes locked to them in off peak hours, sometimes even two or more deep. Tooting Broadway junction and the stretch down to Amen Corner are good examples, on a weekend one might even be momentarily mistaken into thinking it's Holland with the sheer number of bikes involved.