The horns of dilemma

1GiantLeap

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 1, 2007
I have been lurking here for a few months and have gained lots from following the many threads - thank you all. Flecc's the Godfather though isn't he!? ;o)

So here's the thing... I am one of those people described in the most recent AtoB magazine - see the Cytronex Trek review - a thirty something with a hot hatchback that needs winkling out of the car. (Actually its just a standard fiesta but lets not split hairs here).

My commute is a 13 mile cycle ride (ie 26 miles per day). I commute from a village to the north of cambridge into the city. Sometimes by car, sometimes by bike. I arrived at my desk this morning soaking wet and with wobbly legs but thats the Fiesta for you. (Sorry, that was truely diabolical.) My office is relocating next week bringing the round trip down to a marginally improved 22 mile round trip. I currently use a friends cheap hybrid bike to commute - typically 1 or 2 days per week. However, I feel like I am playing at this and I need to get myself a bike and commit to this cycle lifestyle properly. My problem is I will have nowhere to store a bike in the new office. I am not convinced I could leave any half decent bike locked up safely anywhere in Cambridge. Also, I sometimes need to travel about Cambridge with my work. It is faster and more convenient to do this by bike than car, but again I am concerned about leaving a decent bike about. I am not minted - my wife and I work for a charity - so any purchase will be a big deal for me. However, I can fully justify the outlay of £1k+ if it gets me on the bike every day.

I am wondering about getting a Brompton SL2 which means I do not need to worry about security as I can take this with me at all times (ie bung it under a desk, take it to other venues etc). However, I fear the commute may be too much on 16" wheels.

I am very tempted by the obvious names - Cytronex Trek, Pro Connect, Ezee Torq, Agattu (in that order) but I fear which ever one I opt for, its likely to attract attention and be nicked.

Metaphorically, I have opened the driver door and have one leg outside the car one the ground but I am still aware how comfy the car seat is...

I would appreciate your thoughts.

1GiantLeap