The Negative (IMHO) Trend Towards Built-in Pannier Racks

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
I've used a lot of after-market pannier racks in my time and the makers, such as Tortec, have now refined their designs to match the needs of many cyclists and their luggage.

I've just bought a Cube Kathmandu Pro 2018 model. It's a superb machine and I'm finding it difficult to point out any negatives, EXCEPT the built-in rear rack. It simply does not extend its arms far back enough to be able to fill panniers fully to their weight capacity. And this is on a bike with touring pretensions, hence the name. The rack on my Ortler was the same. My Tortec rack - which I would much rather have on my Cube - is much better for this purpose.

So manufacturers, stop adding racks to your frames and simply provide us with braze-ons and threads to be able to fit the rack of our choice, so we can choose the one that fits our needs, not the ones you're foisting upon us.
tortec.PNG3442834427

• Agree
Reactions: Bikes4two and flecc

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
Designed properly, and there is no reason why the length can't be suitable, the mass of metal built into the frame serving as a rack can't structurally also locate the rear wheel.
I am not a fan of adding on bits serving a single function, preferring an integrated design.
That said, the design needs to be right, rather than what we so often see, somewhat and afterthought, largely more style than function. Style rather than function seems the driver in so much these days, but I suppose it's the buyer's preference for that which motivates what builders make.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and sjpt

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I've used a lot of after-market pannier racks in my time and the makers, such as Tortec, have now refined their designs to match the needs of many cyclists and their luggage.

I've just bought a Cube Kathmandu Pro 2018 model. It's a superb machine and I'm finding it difficult to point out any negatives, EXCEPT the built-in rear rack. It simply does not extend its arms far back enough to be able to fill panniers fully to their weight capacity. And this is on a bike with touring pretensions, hence the name. The rack on my Ortler was the same. My Tortec rack - which I would much rather have on my Cube - is much better for this purpose.

So manufacturers, stop adding racks to your frames and simply provide us with braze-ons and threads to be able to fit the rack of our choice, so we can choose the one that fits our needs, not the ones you're foisting upon us.
View attachment 34427View attachment 34428View attachment 34427
Are you an amateur welder, or do you know one?
As it would be a small job to extend that to do what you want! Cut the rear part off, but leaving enough metal rod on both parts (front and rear), so that you can slip a piece of tube over the ends, to lengthen them backwards, weld and paint!
There are several ways it could be done, this is just one of them!
It is unclear which rack is the one you are complaining about, but I would guess the top one? The bottom one looks better than the top one...
Andy

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
It is unclear which rack is the one you are complaining about, but I would guess the top one? The bottom one looks better than the top one...
It looked fairly clear ... the top one is the rather silly builtin one he is complaining about: the lower is the one he'd rather have but can't (easily) fit because they silly one is builtin.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
Exactly, the lower picture is a Tortec Expedition rack, and very well designed it is too. It has arms that extend well back, meaning that panniers get the support they won't get from the Cube's. I also suspect it is somewhat lighter than the thick aluminium tubing stuck on the back of the Cube.

@Ocsid: the benefit of having a bolt-on rack is that it can be removed when not needed.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I've always found it absurd how few racks have arms that extend back and low. I've thought of trying to make a light fibreglass tube to keep the pannier ends safe, but (like lots of other things) never got round to it.

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
It looked fairly clear ... the top one is the rather silly builtin one he is complaining about: the lower is the one he'd rather have but can't (easily) fit because they silly one is builtin.
I thought I was right!
As I mentioned, some steel tubing and a welder, or some really strong Epoxy glue, for anyone without a welder!
Andy

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
Well, I'm aware what I could do, but my point is that the manufacturers shouldn't be making that necessary, should they? These 'racks' are a triumph of style over substance and fail to stop normal-sized panniers flopping around at the back, with the risk of the back of the bag going into the spokes. And yes, it has happened to me before!

• Agree
Reactions: sjpt and flecc

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk

Andy52

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 28, 2019
I'd agree. I bought my first rack and it was too high and caught my leg when getting on the bike. The next one didn't keep the pannier far enough away from the spokes. Now waiting for delivery of a Tortec Transalp but have realised I may need to modify it as I don't have a hole at the hub for the bolts. Not that I'll be going anywhere for the next few months as I am in the top risk category for that bug thing.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
“Not that I'll be going anywhere for the next few months as I am in the top risk category for that bug thing.”

British Cycling asks Health Minister to recommend cycling

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
:) A tad drastic!

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Well, I'm aware what I could do, but my point is that the manufacturers shouldn't be making that necessary, should they? These 'racks' are a triumph of style over substance and fail to stop normal-sized panniers flopping around at the back, with the risk of the back of the bag going into the spokes. And yes, it has happened to me before!
The problem in so many areas these days is that "designers" are only interested in looks and are simply unable to take a practical look at the product.
I remember buying a buoyancy bag for my dinghy.It had a redesigned air inlet.
The old inlet was the ordinary air bed style and could be inflated with a foot pump.
The same bag now comes with the same sort of mouth inflator that you find on life jackets and was advertised as an improvement.
I emailed the firm asking if they had an adaptor for a foot pump, and some toss pot blithely replied, "Just blow it up by mouth"
All 100 litres of it!
I asked just how was I to get my mouth any where near it because it has to be installed uninflated.
They had no answer.
Obviously they had listened to some totally inexperienced idiot who had never had any practical experience at all.
I guess that is what happened at Cube.

• :D
Reactions: Woosh

ssdtfan2

Just Joined
Jul 5, 2018
Hi, I agree with your comments re panniers straying into spokes, that crossed my mind when looking at the Kath. My worry is that the rack will get bent if I have an off, how strong are they?