The NOT Gears, How Many is Too Many? thread

indalo

Banned
Sep 13, 2009
Herts & Spain
How the world has changed, the West cycling and China driving cars! They'll be sending us food aid next!
Yes Flecc, the world is changing but not for the better in this country as far as I can see. We may well need some of that aid in the future if things carry on the way they are.

Just last week, we saw the well-known British bike maker Raleigh snapped up by foreigners and today, Weetabix is now Chinese owned. In this morning's BBC news, one can read about Argentina's continuing veiled threats about the Falklands.....it's only a matter of time! One can also read about the Phoenix 4 and the £3.00 each former employee stands to receive while the criminals, sorry...businessmen, who raped MG/Rover, (some say) enjoy the trappings of unimaginable wealth none of them had before their crime...sorry!....acquisition of the company, from BMW.

We have no aircraft carriers, we have no engineering industry to speak of. We have massive unemployment, we have banks who make vast profits for the bankers first, then their shareholders and ultimately, if our revenue officers can track down some of their profits, the nation benefits from as little tax as the bankers can't avoid paying.

Once upon a time, we had British entrepreneurs who created work, created employment so that work could be done. Indeed, some even built houses to accommodate their workers. That wasn't communism; it was capitalism at its best. Today's entrepreneurs, like Branston, Sugar, Dyson and their ilk don't have a compassionate bone in their bodies. Sadly, we will probably never see the likes of Cadbury or Carnegie again. Today's successful businessmen have no concept of philanthropy and happily employ cheap foreign labour for the sake of even bigger profits, rather than playing their part in British society.

But we've got the Olympics so that's good!...and the tory party ruining the country, a tory buffoon ruining London, younger generations who must work till they drop...............you got me started on this Flecc!

Indalo

ps Last month, the last company in the top 100 companies listed on the stock exchange to retain a final salary pension scheme ended that privilege for its members.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
ps Last month, the last company in the top 100 companies listed on the stock exchange to retain a final salary pension scheme ended that privilege for its members.
I have sympathies with any organisation ending final salary schemes. As hard as that might seem to employees, they simply are not sustainable and a quick route to running out of money. We've been in a fool's paradise for decades where pensions (including the state ones) are concerned, one which was always bound to collapse.

C

Cyclezee

Please stop now Indy before I slash my wrists:(

At least we have got a Bank Holiday weekend to look forward too and not a clould in the sky:cool:

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
All I can say is.....pity we cant bring Margaret Thatcher back to number 10 ......and , no, I refuse to 'duck' LOL :)

Lynda :)

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Its OK Roger I forgive you.........I have a sense of humour.....:D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
For a long time I harboured the thought that 1936 wasn't the best year to be born but since this lot grabbed power I'm sure it was a better bet than, say, 1976!
1936 was a very good birth year, it's mine of course!

1925 was a dreadful one for Britain's future, the year of Margaret Thatcher's birth. Still, she's been suffering Alzheimers disease for ages, so maybe there is justice after all.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Now now Flecc......that really isnt a very nice thing to say is it.......

I might not have agreed with everything she did but I DO absolutely admire her.....and even if I didnt , I wouldnt wish alzheimers on anyone.....not even Tony Blair.....

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
She killed a lot of people Lynda, both with force and driving many to suicide, and every one of those deaths was completely unnecessary. I don't forgive that.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
I dont agree with you Flecc.....but Im not going to spoil my 'happy' day arguing politics........

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Flecc.....perhaps you would have been happier if she had been LOL

I can still remember where I was (shopping in Okehampton) and crying all the way home when I heard the news of her being forced out :( :(

Roger.....I thought she had a great sense of humour and very quick wit.......are you sure we are talking about the same person ? ROFLOL :D

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
On this Forum we are of various political persuasions, and whilst we disagree on politics, we still remain as friends. That is one of the major strengths of the forum. It is said that everyone can remember where they were when they heard the news of the assassination of President Kennedy. The same may well be said of the day Maggie got the sack. Personally I was driving an artic on the A1 north near Biggleswade, when the news came on the radio. I was so stunned by the news that I pulled into the next laybye to get my head round it. It was a tight squeeze to park, as many other drivers had the same idea. I was amazed to see a number of drivers dancing arm in arm in a sort of Hokey Cokey dance. I remember being sad that it was over before I could join in...
Incidentally, I think the very worst thing you can say to a person who is being dismissed is "I am afraid that we are going to have to let you go." As if you would have left years ago if only you could have got permission.

Last edited:

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
Neptune, you should have been in Scotland that day. We were over the moon. I don't wish her any harm but I wish she had never taken up politics.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Now that page really IS distasteful.......

Seems to be a lot of deluded people around here who have very short memories of some of the great things Margaret Thatcher actually did for this country.....and I, for one, am grateful for the good that she DID do.....one of the greatest prime ministers this country has known and prepared to stand by her
decisions with a strength of character not many men in politics seem to have these days.......never mind the ones out of politics.........of course, a lot of men do seem to see strong women as a threat..... even now.....

And, of course, we are all entitled to our opinions and theres nothing quite like politics or religion to start heated discussions, but no matter what, I stand by my opinions absolutely ......no matter how many of you 'gang up' ( LOL ) against me.......I've got tough skin and strong shoulders.....I can take it and still smile, whilst I remember the 'good old maggie days' :D

As far as Im concerned I just think its a great pity that more strong minded women are not in charge of the world these days, because I guarantee that if they were, it wouldnt be in the s*** its in now......

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Seems to be a lot of deluded people around here who have very short memories of some of the great things Margaret Thatcher actually did for this country.....

As far as Im concerned I just think its a great pity that more strong minded women are not in charge of the world these days, because I guarantee that if they were, it wouldnt be in the s*** its in now......
It's precisely because some of us have excellent and highly detailed memories that we know how much harm she did to Britain.

As for the record of women previously in power in various countries around the world, their record doesn't bear examination. Gandhi, Meir, Bandaranaike, Peron, Thatcher, war after war after war, so much for the supposed "gentle sex"!

Advertisers