The NOT Gears, How Many is Too Many? thread

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Careful Lynda, work is very bad for you. It can lead to tiredness.
Im always careful Flecc......and hopefully it leads to more money than tiredness.....thats if I stop getting tempted by banter and ever get it done :D :D

Lynda :)

Davanti

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2012
Yes Flecc, the world is changing but not for the better in this country as far as I can see. We may well need some of that aid in the future if things carry on the way they are..............................................you got me started on this Flecc!

Indalo

ps Last month, the last company in the top 100 companies listed on the stock exchange to retain a final salary pension scheme ended that privilege for its members.
There's nothing like a good rant approaching a Bank Holiday Monday!:eek: There's nowt you can do about it, Indalo! Get the bike out and give the battery a good pounding!

Stay :cool:

Last edited:

Nick H

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 25, 2012
Interesting; I came here to learn about gears and find this thread. Argentinians were tricked to think we would not defend the Falklands and thus gave us the excuse to militaries the islands, build deep water ports and long runways. Perfect for the Oil Industry and a launch pad for future exploitation of the Antarctic. Tax payers would not have supported this huge expenditure to provide infrastructure for private business unless they believed we were defending poor innocent islanders; at any cost in lives.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Precisely put Nick. We had been in negotiations with Argentina about transfer of sovereignty of the Falklands through the 1930s and again after WW2. In a post war situation where we were happy to give up most of our Empire lands and give independence or new ownership of numerous lands and islands around the world, we might have been expected to do the same with the Falklands. The fact that we so stubbornly resisted that in the later stages showed that there was a hidden agenda, and that was obviously oil as ever.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
Interesting; I came here to learn about gears and find this thread. Argentinians were tricked to think we would not defend the Falklands and thus gave us the excuse to militaries the islands, build deep water ports and long runways. Perfect for the Oil Industry and a launch pad for future exploitation of the Antarctic. Tax payers would not have supported this huge expenditure to provide infrastructure for private business unless they believed we were defending poor innocent islanders; at any cost in lives.
That's quite some tin foil hat you're wearing, does it get too hot to wear in the summer?

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Tssss......cynics......

The people who live there want to stay british......thats their choice, if they are happy, then I am happy to support their defence if needed......

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Our governments haven't done the same for other British people in overseas lands though Lynda, even when second and third generation in those lands. They've just given ownership of their land to others or shipped out those British people against their will. Of course there was no oil in those areas.

Hugh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
Seeing as how we're on politics already, let's add some religion into the mix as well. I commend the politico-religious philosophy of one J Rotten;

" I am the antichrist
I am an anarchist
Don't know what I want but I know where to get it
I wanna destroy passersby
Cos I, wanna be, anarchy
No jobs for me "

To be delivered in full-on North London sneer.

Hugh ;)

C

Cyclezee

Interesting that the reformed antichrist/anarchist now sells butter, how scary is that:eek:

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Nowhere near as 'scarey' to me as listening to you lot.......whatever is going to happen to this country......

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
.......whatever is going to happen to this country......

It will just carry on struggling to undo the damage started in the 1980s which directly resulted in our present financial mess. The "print money" madness of "Reaganomics", strongly supported and aped by Margaret Thatcher, was the foundation for all the following long term banker idiocy that followed, a cloud-cuckoo land where anything was possible just by fiddling figures.

They should have learned the lesson of that earlier leader who used "print money" tactics to succeed in the 1930s, Adolf Hitler. He was able to give a reason for the inevitable resulting hardship as a need to win a world war, but without such a disguise, Reagan and Thatcher have been exposed as the economic illiterates that they were.

Odd that they both ended up with Alzheimers disease, highly unusual in politically active people.

Last edited:

Hugh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
I believe it got Harold Wilson as well.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I believe it got Harold Wilson as well.
Indeed, and again behind it the same flawed basis of a hope for technological advance, what Wilson termed a "white hot technological revolution", one that never arrived.

But Thatcher took this concept much further, deliberately destroying our traditional, and to her, old fashioned businesses on the false assumption that more advanced businesses would take their place. Of course they didn't, we have exactly the same high tech businesses as we had back them. Only short lived "bubble" service industry businesses took the place of the destroyed ones, only to collapse as soon as times got hard in the 1991 John Major recession.

Last edited:

thunderblue

Pedelecer
Aug 4, 2009
Manchester
Afternoon all - just been reading through this thread. If she was still alive, today would have been my Gran's 105th birthday! She only ever voted once in her life - yes you guessed it - and said that she would never ever vote again.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Does anyone think we ought to ban politics from this site?
I have just come back from a few days away and was amazed to see where the gear post had gone.
Although everything is very amicable, strong emotions can be aroused, particularly where Margaret Thatcher and the union bosses are concerned.
If we carry on, inevitable there will be a falling out.

Jimod

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 9, 2010
Polmont
We shouldn't ban things. No-one is being abusive in this thread. Some cycling threads have become abusive yet we didn't ban cycling threads. ;)

Advertisers