Help! The Pedelec Law has got me thinking .

D

Deleted member 33385

Indeed, nothing will happen until something bad happens, someone on a petrol powered bycycle seriously injures someone on a pavement and the press run with illegal pushbike insured pedestrian.

Already seeing this happening in my area, an influx of cheap Chinese e-scooters with no max limit, fat tyres and more like sit on motorcycles, being used on pavements all over the place.

The police then have a massive clamp down..

Yep, I was overtaken walking on the pavement by one of those guys the other night -he was dressed like a ninja, looked furtive and on the down low lol. In constast, I'm dressed head to toe in dayglow reflective - including my BMX helmet. Like the man who has just jumped off a tall building "So far, so good..."

D

Deleted member 33385

Surely you can't ride it with that seat angle. If so, you should be busted for crimes against gonads

My gonads have sued me on many occasions for many abuses, but oddly... that really is the most comfortable angle. I don't understand it either - it's extremely comfortable at that angle, no matter how many hours I ride my bike, and there's no chance that my long suffering gonads are ever abused by the bike seat - when I'm wearing undercrackers...

Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: LeighPing

montwo

Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2019
Never said it did. I said it's a giveaway for a homebuild that is almost certainly illegal.
Sure.
In the same way as seeing a shiny bike with a Bosch motor is a giveaway for someone using a dongle that is almost certainly illegal.
When I say 'sure' what I actually mean is 'rubbish', obviously.

Reactions: MontyPAS

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I've been on this forum for more than 10 years. During that time, we've seen kits from all sorts of suppliers - some dodgy ones and some highly reputed ones. A large proportion of forum members have built their own electric bikes by conversion of either a previous electric or non-electric bike, and there are many thousands of such bikes on the road in this country being enjoyed by their owners.

Every few months since 10 years ago, I check to see if I can find any news or evidence of anyone getting prosecuted for having an illegal one. I have never found anything. I ask if anybody can find such hard verifiable evidence to post it here.

Every so often during those 20 years, we get people spreading scare stories. I don't know why they do it. Maybe it gives them a sense of power or they're simply jealous of what other people have.

From 10 years ago, their have been stories posted on the forum every so often about imminent crackdowns.

With social media today, it's too easy to post fake stories about events. Luckily, they don't stand up to any scrutiny.

All this intellectual masturbation is great for us nerds to show how clever we are, but everybody else should take it with a pinch of salt. You don't have to panic. Just ride your bike and enjoy it, and if you have an illegal one, don't make it obvious by riding without pedalling, especially at 30 mph.

Remember, you have more chance of winning £100M from the lottery than getting prosecuted for having an electric bike.

Michael Price

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2018
The only time you are likely to have a problem when your ebike is a bit dodgy is when
a) you are clearly doing far over the 15.5 mph limit with no effort at all on the flat - and the cops have some free time
b) you do something that causes an accident which then prompts them to check
c) you are riding in an area where there are a lot of apparently illegal ebikes and e-scooters around and there have been a lot of complaints. Hence, the cops end up doing a blitz on everything - and you get pulled up for a 'random' check

Riding along in a reasonable way in an area with few ebikes is always going to be pretty OK - it isn;t worth their time to randomly check any old ebike.
WHen I had my previous ebike I did wonder if I would get pulled up for having a throttle. As it was quite old it was legal by the pre 2016 regulations - but the chances of your average copper knowing that would be quite low!!

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The only time you are likely to have a problem when your ebike is a bit dodgy is when
a) you are clearly doing far over the 15.5 mph limit with no effort at all on the flat - and the cops have some free time
b) you do something that causes an accident which then prompts them to check
c) you are riding in an area where there are a lot of apparently illegal ebikes and e-scooters around and there have been a lot of complaints. Hence, the cops end up doing a blitz on everything - and you get pulled up for a 'random' check

Riding along in a reasonable way in an area with few ebikes is always going to be pretty OK - it isn;t worth their time to randomly check any old ebike.
WHen I had my previous ebike I did wonder if I would get pulled up for having a throttle. As it was quite old it was legal by the pre 2016 regulations - but the chances of your average copper knowing that would be quite low!!
I'm not disagreeing with the practical aspect of your advice; however, we need to keep a proportioned view. For any pragmatist it's very much an over-statement. The word "likely" should be replaced by "unlikely".

Certain forum members are known to have spent a lot of time over the 15 mph limit without pedalling, but they never got prosecuted for it, and, apparently, nor did anybody

There was at least one forum member plus the guy that killed that woman, who had their bikes checked by the police after an accident. One wasn't charged and the other was found innocent by a jury. They're the only two examples I have. There are probably a lot more.

As far as (c) is concerned, nobody has been prosecuted, so it's just theoretical.

As an aside, I live at the end of a culd-de-sac. Opposite me is a small branch off it, which also has a small brach off it, so it's sort of like a letter h. I'd noticed a kid about 7 years old riding a go-kart from time to time. A couple of days ago, I looked out of my window and saw that there were 4 very small kids all with similar go-karts having a race doing laps in the last branch and turning in the branch opposite me, which is where I could see them. It looked like a lot of fun. None of them were pedalling. It was difficult to judge the speed because I could only see them doing the 180 deg opposite me, but probably around 8 mph. The karts were quite small, so maybe something like this:

Should I knock on his door and ask him if he wants his kart hot-rodded?

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Someone was looing at my 700c Norco the other day and couldn't quite figure it out.
I returned the bike to load the shopping and they had to ask. The bit they couldn't figure out was the battery, to which I pointed to the silver drinks bottle in it's holder.

The said battery is the one I made and fitted 2p12s 6ah of LG hg2 cells inside.