The power to make cycling make sense

Miles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
Hmmm... I'm still not convinced. I think it would be divisive. You'd also need a whole set of criteria to distinguish between different types of bike... yuk.

Now, if you had a new category of super-ebike, which was already regulated, that would be a better case for some kind of fiscal encouragement..

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Divisive yes, these distinctions always are where winners and losers are concerned, but as said, we've had many examples of hair splitting by chancellor before.

A new category of super-ebike, yes great, but as 50cycles intimates, it's wish list only realistically. We live in an age where restriction is the imperative sadly, and this government is the master of it's implementation. A thousand new criminal laws since 1997 apparently, does anyone remember what they are?

MP1

Just Joined
Feb 4, 2007
Hi,

I really was impressed by Scott and 50cycles on my visit. I walk to work and cylce quite a bit but I was convinced by my visit to look more seriously at electric cycling. I have been working with a local company Intelligent Energy on hydrogen fuel cell technology and they have developed a motorcyle which I would also like to see promoted and developed in the UK. Scott made some interesting and valid points and I have already tabled a few questions in parliament over the weekend. I will keep in touch ith 50cycles and do what I can to promote them locally & nationally.

Andy Reed MP

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Many thanks for this very positive reaction Andy. I'm sure I speak for all the members in saying just how much we appreciate your help on these issues.

The use of electric assist bikes makes such good environmental sense that we get frustrated by the lack of anyone willing to listen, so you'll understand just how heartening your reaction and forum membership is.

electric.mike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2007
grimsby
andy
yes thanks for the support, to give you an idea of the the simplest help electric bikes can be to the enviroment
monday, 9am my wife and i go to asda and the butchers on our bikes about a 4mile round trip.10am we are back home.
now without electric bikes we would have taken our vw camper (when we had push bikes we did about 25miles in 12months)at about 17mpg in town thats 1.07lit of fuel saved plus the exhaust fumes not much you may say but what if 10,000 motorists did that this morning.
if my maths are right 10,000 x 1.07 =10,700 lit~2,351gallons of fuel in one morning.and probaly tons of polution.
i know these figures are in dream land.
its easy to do, but not so easy to convince car drivers that its easy and fun.
ime a bit odd i wanted an electric bike from day one
mike

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Another warm welcome to the forum Andy! We all look forward to hearing more about the response to your questions in parliament.

cheers
Russ.

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Hi Mike

These figures are far from Dream Land. 50cycles is well on the way to achieving these sorts of figures taking into account our average commuters are travelling at least 6 miles each way and some as much as 25 miles. The great thing is that these figures multiply rapidly with every journey taken each day, and the result being a major reduction in carbon emissions around the world. Which shows that just a little change from everyone can make a huge difference despite what some pessimists may say.

Best Regards

50cycles
I think the biggest change will come when we once again become more localised in all that we do. I think within a few decades we will all be living and working much more closely again than we have done since the late 20th century. I think transportation options like the electric bike will really see an explosion in daily use as people accustom themselves to ever increasing cost of fuel for their cars. This is another whole subject to itself!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The great thing is that these figures multiply rapidly with every journey taken each day, and the result being a major reduction in carbon emissions around the world. Which shows that just a little change from everyone can make a huge difference despite what some pessimists may say.
Dead right, as that famous truism says, "every journey begins with a single step", and our individual single steps are cumulative.

Last edited:

electric.mike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2007
grimsby
Dead right, as that famous truism says, "every journey begins with a single step", and our individual single steps are cumulative.QUOTE

another one i read today

an electric bike doesnt cost the earth
mike

Flying Kiwi

Pedelecer
Dec 25, 2006
Buckinghamshire
I have been working with a local company Intelligent Energy on hydrogen fuel cell technology and they have developed a motorcyle which I would also like to see promoted and developed in the UK.
This morning on BBC 1 there was a "Silent Bike" with green hydrogen cell power plant and electric motor, It's called the ENV, pronounced Envy. The review was very positive with the journalist claiming it could go 50 mph with a range of 100 miles on its 5 HP motor. It should be avail in the UK this year but no price was mentioned.

I found this artical about it in the US (who've already got it surprise, surprise :rolleyes: ) Fuel Cell Motorbike to Hit U.S. Streets but over there the price is still very high. Hydrogen fuel cell power plant technology has been hinted at on the Swizzbee website for some time but I dont know whether they've already been manufactured with this included.

Flying Kiwi

Pedelecer
Dec 25, 2006
Buckinghamshire
On the most recent report on the BBC 1 news, there was mention it had a 10 HP motor. I really cant see why it wouldn't be able to do that range at its usual cruising speed (whatever that is) under ideal conditions. Just as with claims I've read somewhere that the Swizbee can reach 45 mph (with a huge amount of pedal assistance no doubt), I'm not sure how comfortable it'd be at that speed compared to normal cruise speed. I wonder what its hydrogen tank storage seepage rate is like. Just as with current batteries, hydrogen storage is also subject to leakage so part of the fuel will seep through the walls of the containment cylinder. I remember hearing at school many years ago that containing hydrogen is a big problem.

Flying Kiwi

Pedelecer
Dec 25, 2006
Buckinghamshire
Thanks for the link Miles. Assuming the motor consumes 6 KW at 50 mph then the range would be low but at its usual cruising speed, it's likely to consume much less power due to reduced drag. I have to laugh at their choice of using lead acid batteries - so much for high tech. Perhaps this will be corrected in the version they eventually sell here.

Miles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
Thanks for the link Miles. Assuming the motor consumes 6 KW at 50 mph then the range would be low but at its usual cruising speed, it's likely to consume much less power due to reduced drag.

I have to laugh at their choice of using lead acid batteries - so much for high tech. Perhaps this will be corrected in the version they eventually sell here.
Yes, sure - the only point I was making was that you wouldn't be able to go very far at 50 mph. The cruising speed is limited by the 1 kW output of the fuel cell - probably less than 30 mph.

Yes, this bit doesn't feature very prominently in their literature...

The principle of it is great, though - I certainly wouldn't mind one :)

Last edited:

Miles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
I remember hearing at school many years ago that containing hydrogen is a big problem.
Yes, I was reading about that the other day, in connection with Hydrogen in Stirling engines - difficult to imagine, a gas seeping through metal... a bit unsporting, I thought :)

Miles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
Hi

We are most proud to say that the ENV Fuel cell bike is Developed in Loughborough and something that Andy Reed MP is also supporting. We are also in discussion with ENV and keeping a close eye on the technology just down the road. Very Exciting stuff with maybe a Glimpse of what the future holds.
Yes, I think it's great that products like this are being developed in this country. It's certainly a more intelligent direction than the ghastly Tesla car that's got so much attention in the US...

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Oh look, we've had half an inch of snow! Wave the white flag! Raise interest rates! We're finished.... stay in your homes and await further instructions.

Except if you own an electric bike of course,
And if it has a front wheel motor like nearly all eZee bikes, so two wheel drive for the best adhesion, our equivalent of the 4 x 4, but without the gas-guzzling.

Last edited: