The T bike, Torq Radical project

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
Hehehe! Nice one Jeff :D

We've been having lots of Grandad "cartoon moments" lately, so you'll have
plenty of opportunities if you can find them all :D.

So what happens when flecc drives Lewis's Maclaren F1 then...? :eek: :D.

Stuart.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
So what happens when flecc drives Lewis's Maclaren F1 then...? :eek: :D.

Stuart.
I'd need to correct it's faults first Stuart, the M car project. :)

P.S. Thanks Jeff (Grandad).

Last edited:

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
flecc said:
I'd need to correct it's faults first Stuart, the M car project. :)
:D curve ball! I didn't see that one coming flecc, touché!... come to think of it, I have a feeling I wouldn't want to be around for that project... :eek: :D.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks Jeff! :D

I had considered clockwork in an entirely different e-bike use in fact, but didn't go ahead with it!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, you got it Django, well done! :)

I had loads of fun scattering those clues. :D

There's an update announcement due on the T bike, might do it tomorrow. ;)

Another landmark for a Torq.

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
Talking of updates, now you've ridden the T some more, I'm very interested to hear how you find the bike's rideability without power has improved, specifically rolling resistance (lack of!) with the narrow m+ you fitted, and how good you find the gearing, low gear in particular (you said your low gear was 35" the other day, but on the T-pages its 42", have you reduced the front chainwheel?) as a "get me home", also how have the overall changes affected range - any more than the modest increase you estimated do you think?

Do you find you ride the bike more without power, and do you similarly find a good increase in the speed you can comfortably ride at without power, as you did with the Q? (You previously said that, on kendas, beyond 10mph on Quando & 13-14mph on Torq were difficult without power).

I suddenly feel a lack of T-info :D.

P.S. I look forward to the update :).

Stuart.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, I meant 42" Stuart, a crossover mistake, the 35" being the low on the same freewheel on the Q bike with 20" wheel and 60 tooth chainring.

The bike is easier than before to pedal without power, but still nothing like as pleasant as a normal bike, and it's definitely the hub gear drag that's the problem. Yesterday's ride gave me a chance to check out all the factors in pedalling at different rates and at different speeds in three of the gears, narrowing down what the trouble was. Definitely the hub orbital gears. They're very free running at walking pace, but as it spins up it seems to give more drag. Oddly enough, it improves again at higher speeds. That shows up in the Q bike where the spin speed is much higher due to the gearing for lower speeds, and that makes it easier to pedal at moderate speeds. Electro-magnetic drag maybe.

The 42" is fine as a get me home on a slight up gradient as I had most of the three miles yesterday, but on the flat the 60" was better just through feeling I wanted to get a move on.

I never try to ride the T bike without power normally, since it's purely a performance bike for me. It goes so well that I wouldn't want to ride it slowly. :)

Last edited:

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
:D I can understand that flecc!

Thanks for the info, thats what I wanted to know, though it came from a slightly different angle than I expected! It does sound odd, that hub orbital gear drag behaviour. Your lowest gear is just less than my 44.8" lowest now :D (40T front; standard derailleur).

Well now... I wonder what's in the update then...? Oh! hold on... you've probably already slipped in half a dozen clues in your last weeks posts already! ;).

Stuart.

allotmenteer

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2006
Aldershot, Hampshire
Definitely the hub orbital gears. They're very free running at walking pace, but as it spins up it seems to give more drag. Oddly enough, it improves again at higher speeds. That shows up in the Q bike where the spin speed is much higher due to the gearing for lower speeds, and that makes it easier to pedal at moderate speeds. Electro-magnetic drag maybe.
My motor is the same flecc. I have no problem peddling it at 17mph+, and also none below about 10mph. In between it is definately harder. The problem I had with it being really hard to pedal must have been down to a loose connection. Also I recently took the motor cover off and regreased the gears. I think it's a bit quieter now as well.

Paul

coops

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 18, 2007
Manchester U.K.
Do you suppose that both could be because of the effect of the "internal motor gearing to wheelsize" ratio then? Another vote for "appropriate" motor gearing, like the Quando? :rolleyes:

Stuart.

JohnInStockie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2006
Stockport, SK7
Do you suppose that both could be because of the effect of the "internal motor gearing to wheelsize" ratio then? Another vote for "appropriate" motor gearing, like the Quando? :rolleyes:

Stuart.
..He just wouldnt let it lie.. :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Don't worry John, I knew he wouldn't!

This motor has just been rebuilt as with the Quando one, greased and everything perfect. It's just as Paul says, a midpoint of higher drag. Although I casually remarked on magnetic drag, I was busy answering someone else's query on the phone at the time while I was typing, hence the lack of consideration that it can't be that, there being a free wheel in the motor.

I think that as the orbital gears spin up, they break through the grease surface tension drag, or release point, making life easier thereafter. With the high geared torq motor, that turn release rate rate is beyond the normal band of unassisted cycling speed.