The Ultimate Pro Connect test......

Lloyd_50cycles

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2008
Nottingham
I have recently just got back from the French Alps, and whilst there decided to do some in-house testing on the Pro Connect. We took a completely standard Pro Connect step-through, and headed for the Alpe d'Huez resort, home of the famous 21 turns hill climb section of the Tour De France. The town sits at a height of 1850 metres above sea level, and the total climbing height is 1150 metres in just over 13 kilometres. It is a constant climb over a series of 21 tight hairpin turns, and is seen as a real test for many pro cyclists. Now......I am most definately NOT a pro cyclist, weighing in at 15 stone, there is no possible way I could complete this climb on a normal bike without some serious rest stops.

I'll be honest, I did have my doubts, I mean I have ridden this bike up 1 in 4 hills in wales, and I know how good it is, but when we got there this place really is something else! It just keeps on going up...and up......and up. Whoever decided to build a road up the side of this mountain was either slightly sadistic, or mentally unstable. Possibly both. Anyway, we pressed on.

The battery wasn't fully charged, as I had been staying in a tent all week, and had no way of charging it, but it was showing all five lights on the indicator. I set off and kept a steady speed throughout, finding no lack in performance as the hills got steeper. The bike just kept pulling. I stayed between 1st and 3rd gear pretty much all the time, and completed the climb in a respectable 1 hour 5 mins, with no stops. The scenery was absolutely breath taking, and I can tell you we got a few looks overtaking some of the serious road riders on a step through hybrid, whilst they were struggling to control their breathing!

I will post pics and a full video once I have finished putting it together. I just wish the ferry and 17 hour motorbike ride home was as much fun!

Happy biking

Lloyd

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Well done Lloyd, not a climb to lightly tackle, but definitely the best bike for the job.

Tomorrow week, Wednesday the 23rd will see the Tour de France riders showing how it's done without a motor, though on past history, many won't make it:

On ITV 4: 12 noon to 1pm and highlights of the day: 7pm to 8pm.

Lloyd_50cycles

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2008
Nottingham
It was in high power mode the whole way.....I needed as much assistance as possible! And yes Flecc the whole town was gearing up for it as we were leaving......every corner had a shop selling jerseys or caps. Coming back down the turns was also lots of fun.....it's a shame we don't have something like that in England! Hopefully I will finish putting the video together tomorrow.

keithhazel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 1, 2007
I have recently just got back from the French ALPS.

I will post pics and a full video once I have finished putting it together. I just wish the ferry and 17 hour motorbike ride home was as much fun!

Happy biking

Lloyd
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
i will look forward to the video and pictures too Lloyd...just out of curiosity...if you came home on a motorbike..how did you get the e-bike there ?...post it ?

stokepa31_mk2

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 7, 2008
Sounds like you had a lot of fun Lloyd. Great performance! I hope you've got some video of the lycra boys crying onto their carbon frames :D

essexman

Pedelecer
Dec 17, 2007
cb11
Wow! Great ride and great test of any pedelec that presumes to have hill climbing ability.

Thats a very cool post as well, just as we're all hyping up to to watch it tonight! GREAT tour so far....

john

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2007
Manchester
I thought I'd do a few calculations. I won't bore everyone with the maths (unless someone thinks I've made a mistake), here are the results:

Total bike and rider weight = 116 kg
Energy needed to lift bike and rider up the mountain = 371 Wh
Total energy needed, including rolling resistance = 410.6 Wh

Average slope = 8.85 %
Average speed = 7.46 mph

Total power = 379 Watts
Motor power = 214 Watts
Rider power = 165 Watts

Assuming a full battery, conversion efficiency from battery to wheel = 89 % !!

The efficiency looks a little too high, nevertheless, I don't think any other (non Panasonic) e-bike could come close.

Last edited:

Lloyd_50cycles

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2008
Nottingham
Ha ha, Kieth i wondered if anyone would point that out. I rode my motorbike and Tom took his van with all the gear. In hindsight it wasn't a good idea, 17 hours on a sports bike isn't particularly comfortable! It was however a great way to see France, as we took the scenic route. Video is nearly done now, will post on our blog and put a link up here around lunchtime.

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
I have recently just got back from the French Alps, and whilst there decided to do some in-house testing on the Pro Connect. We took a completely standard Pro Connect step-through, and headed for the Alpe d'Huez resort, home of the famous 21 turns hill climb section of the Tour De France. The town sits at a height of 1850 metres above sea level, and the total climbing height is 1150 metres in just over 13 kilometres. It is a constant climb over a series of 21 tight hairpin turns, and is seen as a real test for many pro cyclists. Now......I am most definately NOT a pro cyclist, weighing in at 15 stone, there is no possible way I could complete this climb on a normal bike without some serious rest stops.

I'll be honest, I did have my doubts, I mean I have ridden this bike up 1 in 4 hills in wales, and I know how good it is, but when we got there this place really is something else! It just keeps on going up...and up......and up. Whoever decided to build a road up the side of this mountain was either slightly sadistic, or mentally unstable. Possibly both. Anyway, we pressed on.

The battery wasn't fully charged, as I had been staying in a tent all week, and had no way of charging it, but it was showing all five lights on the indicator. I set off and kept a steady speed throughout, finding no lack in performance as the hills got steeper. The bike just kept pulling. I stayed between 1st and 3rd gear pretty much all the time, and completed the climb in a respectable 1 hour 5 mins, with no stops. The scenery was absolutely breath taking, and I can tell you we got a few looks overtaking some of the serious road riders on a step through hybrid, whilst they were struggling to control their breathing!

Happy biking

Lloyd
Fantastic Lloyd.. You are very brave.. I thought I was hardy cycling up the teeny hills of Bath.. Are you sure you didn't cheat..? I'm sure I saw you laid out in the back of a top of the range BMW with a large cocktail in one hand and an ice pack in the other (pressing onto very stretched ligaments!) ;)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I thought I'd do a few calculations. I won't bore everyone with the maths (unless someone thinks I've made a mistake), here are the results:

Total bike and rider weight = 116 kg
Energy needed to lift bike and rider up the mountain = 371 Wh
Total energy needed, including rolling resistance = 410.6 Wh

Average slope = 8.85 %
Average speed = 7.46 mph

Total power = 379 Watts
Motor power = 214 Watts
Rider power = 165 Watts

Assuming a full battery, conversion efficiency from battery to wheel = 89 % !!

The efficiency looks a little too high, nevertheless, I don't think any other e-bike could come close.
I'd done the same calculations John, precisely the same results. You can see why I have so much respect for the Panasonic units, as you say, nothing else comes close.

Lloyd_50cycles

Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2008
Nottingham
Fantastic Lloyd.. You are very brave.. I thought I was hardy cycling up the teeny hills of Bath.. Are you sure you didn't cheat..? I'm sure I saw you laid out in the back of a top of the range BMW with a large cocktail in one hand and an ice pack in the other (pressing onto very stretched ligaments!) ;)
Ha ha, I wish I did have a top of the range BMW! In all seriousness I wasn't actually tired at the top. I had been riding my mountain bike all week, and was absolutely shattered beforehand, so the bike really didn't get much help from me! You'll be able to see from the video that I'm smiling all the way! I haven't had time to post the blog yet, but the video is up on youtube.

YouTube - Kalkhoff Pro Connect climbs the Alpe d'Huez

That's the link, I have also got some pictures and a handlebar mounted camera of every turn( the youtube version is a shortened version),but will add them later.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Is this the same type of battery that will be supplied with my new Pro-Connect when I pick it up tomorrow? Or is the battery mentioned above a new development?

Thanks

Tom

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's exactly the same 10 Ah battery Tom, the one and only current one, and the same as the one I tested in the Agattu last year.

Erik

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2008
The video clearly shows how slowly you should pedal to get max assistance from the Panasonic motor with the small motor sprocket fitted on the 25 km/h legal versions.

I must make an effort to get a larger one.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My BH¨s Panasonic says it´s Ion Lithium 8ah/26v. Doesn´t seem the same. Is it my impression or it lacks power?
That's last year's model battery Poppy. You'd better check out whether the bike you are buying has that or the later 10 Ah one, and also whether your bike has the High Power mode option.

The performance of a bike with the 8 Ah battery is about the same, just the range a bit shorter.

poppy

Pedelecer
Jun 9, 2008
Covas, Ferrol. La Coruña. Spain
That's last year's model battery Poppy. You'd better check out whether the bike you are buying has that or the later 10 Ah one, and also whether your bike has the High Power mode option.

The performance of a bike with the 8 Ah battery is about the same, just the range a bit shorter.
To be more precise Li-Ion Mn 8Ah/26 v. It has (English version of the manual) Economy, Normal and Sport modes. The Eco says Assist:force applied x1.5, Norm Assist.: force app. x2.0 and Sport: Assist.: force app.x2.3 ?????

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's all the same as the Kalkhoff except for the battery which was commonly fitted on 2007 models like last year's Gazelle Easy Rider. This year's Gazelle has the 10 Ah battery.

Although I have no confirmation, one member with a 2007 Gazelle has said the latest 10 Ah battery has a different fitting so cannot be used.

Therefore as I've said, I think you should check this out before completing purchase.