The why and how of service intervals

Cooper

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 17, 2015
Rye, East Sussex
I bought a Freego bike just before Christmas and I was surprised to see the owner's manual has a place for service history stamps in the back, like a car would. In particular, they recommend a first service at six weeks (which they say is free, presumably if you take it back to the dealer you bought it from).

How important is this, and what are they checking, exactly? Could a regular bike mechanic do it, or are there aspects of the electrics that need looking over? The manual doesn't say if the checkup affects the warranty, but I bet it would if I ever made a claim.

I can't get the bike back to the seller easily. I could get it to a regular bike mechanic nearby, if it's important.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Things settle in the early weeks of use and a need for tightening can result. In particular, spokes settle in and can often lose tension initially, leading to wheels getting out of true and sometimes giving spoke breakage trouble later. Square taper fit crank arms can slacken slightly leading to creaking and spoiling the taper fit. Crank motor units often suffer initial slacking of the motor mounting bolts as the paint on the frame crushes under the bolt pressure at the mounting points, again leading to creaking noise and a feeling of insecurity when pedalling. And loosening after first use can also affect the minor fixings such as mudguards, chainguards etc.

So the initial check is a security and precautionary one. It's all a bike/mechanical check, electrical knowledge isn't necessary.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cooper