Theft resistance

Steeltoe

Just Joined
Feb 28, 2023
Hi all! I'm finally taking the plunge into electric bikes after tinkering with regular ones for years, and I'll be converting a 26" wheel folding bike I've already got, probably using a mid-drive. I've never really been concerned about my about-town bike getting pinched up until now, as I assume nobody's going to bother cutting a lock to get hold of a step-through bike with sit-up-and-beg granny handlebars, let alone one that's all rusty, covered in stickers and locked up next to much nicer-looking bikes. I'll confess to being a bit behind the times on bike theft prevention as a result of that.

I suspect the idea of avoiding theft by not looking attractive to thieves goes out of the window with ebikes, as ebike bits have much better resale value than the average town bike, so I'd appreciate some advice here, especially as battery-powered angle grinders have significantly improved since I was last locking up nice bikes. Am I likely to lose the bike from outside a supermarket or a pub if it's locked up to something solid using a decent lock (or locks)? Do people go to the effort of stealing ebike bits straight off the bike? Are the locks on batteries enough of a defence against having those stolen, or are the more determined thieves able to bypass the common ones? Will people cut bike frames for the sake of making off with a ruined frame with resaleable bits on?

Maybe I'm being paranoid, but I volunteered with a community bike project for a while and I saw all manner of theft-related damage in the bulk lots of junk bikes we were being donated!

Thanks in advance

Robin

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
If you make it look like this one it will be absolutely fine. Most thieves these days have a sense of self respect.
1676670982724.png

:p;)

• :D
Reactions: trevor brooker

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
A conversion is less attractive than a bike made as electric, especially with a battered base bike.
We've been lucky so far with fairly basic locks. It obviously depends where you lock it, and when, and even how regularly. I think the lock on our HL style battery would be a few seconds to pick for anyone who knew how, probably a fraction longer to rip off without unlocking.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm in London, Britain's bicycle theft capital.

But in 55 years in my current area shopping from local supermarkets and other shops with bikes and pedelecs I've never lost a bike or any part, or suffered any damage. That is despite using the simplest of cable locks and on one occasion just a bungee when I'd left the lock off the bike.

The secret is the intermittent and irregular nature of shopping with its short duration. It's the regular commuter who parks in the same area every day at the same time for the same long period who suffers theft, through making it so easy for a thief.

If you are going to be one of those regular parkers, then you'll need at least two substantial D locks through frame and wheels, yet you may still suffer parts or even the whole bike theft.

But for short duration shopping just one decent lock should be enough.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Bike insurance will go quite a way to removing worry.

slowcoach

Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2020
When we park our bikes at a supermarket, while I apply a selection of locks (at least 2) my wife fetches a trolley and we place the batteries in there and carry a bag containing computer and other easily removed items. Bit of a pain, but we feel reasonably safe that way.
If visiting say a tourist spot, I have a small trolley which fits in one pannier. Take this out, fir the pannier to the trolley and place the batteries inside, well cushioned with spare coat etc.

• Agree
Reactions: trevor brooker

Related Articles

Advertisers