Theresa May,the Dictator...

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
well, at least they start dealing with it. The brexiters set out their stall first. It's now up to the city to reply. It could well be that the city don't worry too much about not having a passport, they can always set themselves up in Dublin, Luxembourg or Edinburg if they have not done so already. Dublin can always offer then sweetheart tax deals to facilitate the moves. The net effect so far is to stabilize the exchange rates, not a bad thing.
Are you daring to suggest that they City will abandon us and go where the money is?
As if they would do such a thing.
The very idea!

Reactions: trex

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Hammond has a pretty good track record in the dark art of getting result.

• Agree
Reactions: Kudoscycles

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Are you daring to suggest that they City will abandon us and go where the money is?
As if they would do such a thing.
The very idea!
They only need a fiber optic internet connection and some office space. I would suggest Paris, reasonable quality food at lunch time, a quick train ride back home... :rolleyes:

• Agree
Reactions: trex and flecc

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
They only need a fiber optic internet connection and some office space. I would suggest Paris, reasonable quality food at lunch time, a quick train ride back home... :rolleyes:
Well here's one business that can expect a boom!
"
InterPassport
The fastest, legal way to get a European passport.
InterPassport offers a European citizenship (passport) program, completed within 3 months.

InterPassport can offer fast track citizenship of a European member state – without obtaining an investor´s visa or residence. You and your family can get EU citizenship in 3 months from today.

https://interpassport.com/?gclid=Cj0KEQjw6am-BRCTk4WZhLfd4-oBEiQA3ydA3njZlaQpz-FLhO3UYTKGAFJLCZ6F8i6jnOjZL6m1tzIaAgXR8P8HAQ

The ideal Christmas Present!
from €125 Super fast, 3 months process.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Bankers like being in London,they like London and we still don't have the bureaucracy of the French or Germans. Hammond would not want to throw away hundreds of years of history that puts London the centre of world finance.
KudosDave

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
May isn't making many friends in Hangzhou.....the Japanese premier has insisted on an undertaking that May will keep us in the single market and as important the EU banking passport.
Japanese companies like Honda,Toyota,Nissan and Nomura bank are said to employ 140,000 people in the UK,in the short term this will curtail Jap investment into the UK,in the long term they must be tempted to move their operations to mainland Europe.
From memory wasn't Sunderland(Nissan)a big Brexit vote area,I wonder how many who voted Leave from that area realised that they could be voting themselves out of a job.
This Brexit experiment is becoming a perfect storm,it would be hard to imagine anything else we could invent that made a better job of destroying our country.
It must be so embarrassing to our team in China,the Chinese must look at them and think that they don't look like idiots,but what is the plan that none of us understands.
KudosDave

Last edited:
  • Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
From memory wasn't Sunderland(Nissan)a big Brexit vote area,I wonder how many who voted Leave from that area realised that they could be voting themselves out of a job.
Indeed, and immediately following the Brexit result, Nissan announced that investment in the UK was being put on hold.

Far bigger car manufacturing than theirs has been moved away to Europe, Ford at Dagenham for example. That was once one of the most complete car making factories in the world, even including its own foundry. Now all that remains is a minor assembly facility for small diesel engines.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Work isn't all it is cracked up to be, maybe they prefer being on benefits?

I mean once you get rid of all those immigrants there will be more benefits for the UK unemployed... Won't there?... Dave?...

• :D
  • Agree

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Indeed, and immediately following the Brexit result, Nissan announced that investment in the UK was being put on hold.

Far bigger car manufacturing than theirs has been moved away to Europe, Ford at Dagenham for example. That was once one of the most complete car making factories in the world, even including its own foundry. Now all that remains is a minor assembly facility for small diesel engines.
Yep,I used to work at Ford as a student apprentice. Worked at Dagenham during the famous door hangers strike,lasting 9 weeks.
It had nothing to do with the bolshi union door hangers,it was because the Cortina body panels wouldn't go together,Ford management kept it going for 9 weeks until we managed to join panels together. It was in the early days of computers and Ford Germany decided that building a master body wasn't needed,sacked the model makers and relied on the computer,big mistake.
We were flying tooling to Korea for mods,working long in the night to overcome major body panel door and panel aperture fits,the first 200 hundred cars off the line were scrap,it was an exciting time for a young apprentice.
The bolshi union guys didn't understand that they were scapegoats to overcome a problem,obviously when they were on strike Ford didn't have to pay any of the workers.
In those days you could make a complete car at Dagenham....body in white,trim shop,wheel shop,foundry,engine manufacture,assembly....now I think it is only a small engine plant.
Compare that with China,soon Ford will make every world Focus and Fiesta in the new plant in Nanjing,they have even built custom ships to move them......and May says that the UK,post Brexit,is open for business,the worry is that she believes her own rhetoric,nobody else does.
KudosDave

Last edited:
  • Agree

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
The bolshi union guys didn't understand that they were scapegoats to overcome a problem,obviously when they were on strike Ford didn't have to pay any of the workers.
KudosDave
Wasn't that the way the economy was run at the time?

• Agree

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
Poor Mrs May
It isn't her day
She won't like what they say...
"
The prime minister had been hoping to pitch the UK as a global leader in free trade during her first major outing on the world stage at the G20 summit in Hangzhou.

However, she was immediately confronted with harsh warnings about the consequences of leaving the EU and diplomatic tensions with the Chinese over her concerns about their involvement in UK nuclear power.

After her first bilateral meeting with Obama, May was warned that the US wanted to focus on trade negotiations with the EU and a bloc of pacific nations before considering a deal with the UK.

This was swiftly followed by a message from Japan to the UK that there could be a string of corporate exits from the UK unless some of the privileges that come with access to the single market are maintained.

The lengthy document from Tokyo gives a list of possible consequences of Brexit and a series of specific requests from Japanese businesses. About half of Japanese investment in the EU comes to the UK, including from companies such as Nissan, Honda, Mitsubishi, Nomura and Daiwa.

“Japanese businesses with their European headquarters in the UK may decide to transfer their head-office function to continental Europe if EU laws cease to be applicable in the UK after its withdrawal,” the report concludes.

It says: “In light of the fact that a number of Japanese businesses, invited by the government in some cases, have invested actively to the UK, which was seen to be a gateway to Europe, and have established value-chains across Europe, we strongly request that the UK will consider this fact seriously and respond in a responsible manner to minimise any harmful effects on these businesses.”

Oh Dear, how disappointing!

• Agree

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
surprise-03.jpg

Last edited:

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Looks like Australia likes us.....they will want to sell us iron ore now that China has a glut of steel....we can use it in our steel industry,oops!
What will the Aussies want to buy from us that they can't get from China, which is much closer to them.
KudosDave

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Theresa May looks dreadful on the TV,see her face when talking to Obama,she is under so much pressure and doing a job that she didn't want to do in the first place and the difficult stages of Brexit haven't even started yet....I can see her going to parliament to take pressure away from herself and this Brexit deal exploding in a mess with massive social divides in the UK,Cameron should be ashamed what he has created.
There are no good endings to Brexit only the best of a bad job,that will certainly be worse than what we already have.
KudosDave

• Agree

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
There are no good endings to Brexit only the best of a bad job,that will certainly be worse than what we already have.
KudosDave
I am much more hopeful, Dave. Brexit gives to both the EU and the UK time to reconcile their differences. The UK is still the most tolerant and inclusive country in Europe if not in the whole world. Brexit will be a little xenophobic blip with small economic consequences. It'll pass.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I am much more hopeful, Dave. Brexit gives to both the EU and the UK time to reconcile their differences. The UK is still the most tolerant and inclusive country in Europe if not in the whole world. Brexit will be a little xenophobic blip with small economic consequences. It'll pass.
I don't see it that way, we have thrown away the opportunity to belong to a European society which cared about the people and and environment, and lapsed back to being a greed and jealousy powered insular little offshore island ruled by a pack of rogues.
The public thought it was showing the government who's boss, and will soon learn they made a huge mistake.
Worse the scum at the bottom of society now imagine themselves somehow vindicated.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and Croxden

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I disagree. The current situation is clearly divisive, there are at least 17 million unhappy voters. If brexit makes us all worse off, then the next vote will be a resounding u-turn. If brexit improves the life of people who voted for it, then the majority was right. going through with brexit now will produce a more united country at the next referendum or general election .

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I disagree. The current situation is clearly divisive, there are at least 17 million unhappy voters. If brexit makes us all worse off, then the next vote will be a resounding u-turn. If brexit improves the life of people who voted for it, then the majority was right. going through with brexit now will produce a more united country at the next referendum or general election .
I can't be that optimistic. I think it's inevitable that we will lose in a number of ways and be worse off once there's a trade settlement with the EU. We will have lost our rebate and the EU will certainly not allow us any gains, being nervous about other dissatisfied members who are watching closely. If we have any access at all for services they will be much more restricted than at present, Frankfurt and Paris will see to that just as they've ensured Switzerland is similarly disadvantaged and Canada also denied services industry access.

And I can't see any prospects for compensating gains in trading elsewhere. Those interested like Australia are only wanting to sell to us, and we have little that we can sell to them since they can get the same nearer to home much cheaper.

Advertisers