Theresa May,the Dictator...

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I find it amusing that May is proposing to have tariff free trading with China,for me that will be wonderful eliminating all the customs duty and anti dumping duty but it will put even more strain on an already uncompetitive UK manufacturing industry.
I suspect the EU will put protectionist tariffs on us to protect their industry,which will make goods made in the UK or China more expensive in Europe. The effect will be that we will become a more inward looking economy,retreating back into our little island,maybe that is what a lot of Leave voters wanted?
At the moment the only big sellers from the UK to China appear to be Bentley cars and Scotch whiskey,I think both have very heavy import duties into China.
KudosDave

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I can't be that optimistic. I think it's inevitable that we will lose in a number of ways and be worse off once there's a trade settlement with the EU. We will have lost our rebate and the EU will certainly not allow us any gains, being nervous about other dissatisfied members who are watching closely. If we have any access at all for services they will be much more restricted than at present, Frankfurt and Paris will see to that just as they've ensured Switzerland is similarly disadvantaged and Canada also denied services industry access.

And I can't see any prospects for compensating gains in trading elsewhere. Those interested like Australia are only wanting to sell to us, and we have little that we can sell to them since they can get the same nearer to home much cheaper.
we tend to look at gains and losses in economic terms. Brexit brought out a lot of people who normally don't vote. If they see they win and the result is carried out, it's a big gain in itself. So far, it's the poor who bears all the costs of the vote, through the drop in the value of the Pound. Businesses don't suffer a bit. Inflation of this kind (competitive devaluation) is godsend for the treasury. The 'elite' mandarins will always find a clever way to sort the mess out in a few years.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I disagree. The current situation is clearly divisive, there are at least 17 million unhappy voters. If brexit makes us all worse off, then the next vote will be a resounding u-turn. If brexit improves the life of people who voted for it, then the majority was right. going through with brexit now will produce a more united country at the next referendum or general election .
What next vote, one wonders? The papers spew hatred and envy, Parliament has lost any respect from the public and has let the genie out of the bottle how is it to be put back in and the cork inserted?

This whole business has become a disaster for all concerned , discredited Parliament, and inflamed passions among the population, unfortunately some of which are frankly racist and antisocial.

And all because of an "Advisory Referendum" that has morphed into an unholy crusade.
The people believe this is in their interests in the worse aspect of the whole sordid affair.
And if the Government get the short end of the deal from the EU, guess who will get the blame?
United Country? and what pray will they be United in and For?
I shudder to think.

Last edited:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
we tend to look at gains and losses in economic terms. Brexit brought out a lot of people who normally don't vote. If they see they win and the result is carried out, it's a big gain in itself. So far, it's the poor who bears all the costs of the vote, through the drop in the value of the Pound. Businesses don't suffer a bit. Inflation of this kind (competitive devaluation) is godsend for the treasury. The 'elite' mandarins will always find a clever way to sort the mess out in a few years.
Is their expertise the reason the debt is now £1.6 Trillion and rising?
I shouldn't hope for much from these "Elite Mandarins" they are more like
"Sour Lemons" to judge by their past performance.

Reactions: trex
So far, it's the poor who bears all the costs of the vote, through the drop in the value of the Pound. Businesses don't suffer a bit. I
I'd welcome you to come up here and help me out with my business then... because I can assure you this increase in our cost prices and the uncertainty we're facing is most definitely having a negative impact on my business.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
At the moment the only big sellers from the UK to China appear to be Bentley cars and Scotch whiskey,I think both have very heavy import duties into China.
KudosDave
But the Bentleys are completely German made and designed, the parts shipped over and usually assembled in England, except for one model often completely made in Germany.

Oh and Dave, you'll really be upsetting the Scots, theirs is whisky, the whiskey you've mentioned is Irish!

It's all in the spelling. ;)

Reactions: Kudoscycles

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I'd welcome you to come up here and help me out with my business then... because I can assure you this increase in our cost prices and the uncertainty we're facing is most definitely having a negative impact on my business.
you can at least re-position your product range or rejig your marketing, the salary men on PAYE has no such recourse. Hammond is at least happy with the competitive devaluation of the Pound. The longer Mrs May takes to trigger article 50, the more tax take Mr Hammond is going to enjoy. Who knows, if Mrs May takes a year to decide, Hammond may even balance the budget!

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I find it amusing that May is proposing to have tariff free trading with China,for me that will be wonderful eliminating all the customs duty and anti dumping duty but it will put even more strain on an already uncompetitive UK manufacturing industry.
I suspect the EU will put protectionist tariffs on us to protect their industry,which will make goods made in the UK or China more expensive in Europe. The effect will be that we will become a more inward looking economy,retreating back into our little island,maybe that is what a lot of Leave voters wanted?
KudosDave
China is as worried as Japan about Brexit because for them the UK is a traditional gateway to the EU market. They have been trading with the UK for a very long time but since they have taken a liking to Bordeaux they seem to do quite well at learning French (sorry @flecc...). Every Spanish town, even the tiniest village, seems to have a Chinese Bazar shop so they have no trouble learning Spanish either. They are very pragmatic, if they feel they are losing out on access to the huge EU market they will drop you like a handful of hot coal (pun intended).

• Agree
Reactions: flecc and trex

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
China is as worried as Japan about Brexit because for them the UK is a traditional gateway to the EU market. They have been trading with the UK for a very long time but since they have taken a liking to Bordeaux they seem to do quite well at learning French (sorry @flecc...). Every Spanish town, even the tiniest village, seems to have a Chinese Bazar shop so they have no trouble learning Spanish either. They are very pragmatic, if they feel they are losing out on access to the huge EU market they will drop you like a handful of hot coal (pun intended).
it is ironic that many of the chinese suppliers attended the first Automechanica show in Birmingham this year. This show originated from Frankfurt,which is the popular show that the Asian suppliers always attended. They tended to avoid UK shows because the lack of Schengen agreement made it difficult to obtain visas,this show was a bulk deal including visas.
Many have told me that they will probably not attend again if it looks like the UK will break away from the EU.
KudosDave

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Trex...I dont agree that it is the poor that have been affected,it is SME's that have been most hit,those that couldnt hedge their currency trading,they were hit on June 24,the day the pound plummeted.
I dont think the poor have been hit yet,it will be Christmas time when everything seems that bit more expensive and the price rises filter through.
I read somewhere that May/Hammond will have to modify benefits if Brexit does hit the economy!
KudosDave

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
the economy will be OK until at least the a year after brexit negotiations have started. In the meantime, exports to the EU increase, imports from the EU decrease thanks to competitive devaluation, consumption of imported goods decreases, tax receipts are up due to short term inflation and plenty of supply of cheap labour. The losers are the consumers, the treasury and businesses have nothing to fear until foreigners start moving their operations out of here.

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
the economy will be OK until at least the a year after brexit negotiations have started. In the meantime, exports to the EU increase, imports from the EU decrease thanks to competitive devaluation, consumption of imported goods decreases, tax receipts are up due to short term inflation and plenty of supply of cheap labour. The losers are the consumers, the treasury and businesses have nothing to fear until foreigners start moving their operations out of here.
Not just the Foreigners but "The City" will relocate as well.
Bad though this may be for "The Economy" (Whatever that might be)
It is of small concern compared to the social loss of being reduced to a Political Backwater still run by a corrupt Westminster Cabal.

I don't doubt that as always the gap between the poor and the rich will widen, and frankly that is a small matter compared with putting the future on hold.
Throughout our sordid history we have sought to prevent Europe uniting against us, and yet here we are passing up the opportunity to be part of something huge, as a major player, giving all that potential away and diminishing ourselves, and when we inevitably fail, having to creep back as a client member state on their terms, if they will have us.

We already have everything we could possibly need from the EU for us to be successful.
It is utter insanity to give that up for a so obvious a dream that won't come true.
We'll be dreaming of getting the Empire back next.
The only way to get a good deal over Brexit is the simplest one of all
Throw the idea of leaving the EU on the trash heap where it belongs.

• Agree

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
We'll be dreaming of getting the Empire back next.
I thought that was the plan all along: sail up in your tall ships, rape all the women, reduce the men to slavery and run off with the raw materials to jump start your industry again. Making Britain Great again! Hold on hasn't that already been trademarked by someone?

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I thought that was the plan all along: sail up in your tall ships, rape all the women, reduce the men to slavery and run off with the raw materials to jump start your industry again. Making Britain Great again! Hold on hasn't that already been trademarked by someone?
'Ere are you castin' nasturtiums an' that? wotcher mean 'xactly, eh?

• :D
Reactions: anotherkiwi

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
The speech by Davis which demonstrated the Governments attitude to not revealing it's plans and damaging it's negotiating position reminds me of an entry in one of the Dublin papers some years back where an unmarked Police car had been stolen
It went something like this
"Dublin Garda have announced that one of their unmarked patrol cars has been stolen
They have declined to give a description as they don't want the criminals to know what it looks like."

Makes perfect sense
My wife is Irish and agrees :D

Last edited:

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
OG.....May and Davis are managing not to reveal anything about their plans for Brexit,I think that is easy because they haven't a clue what that plan will be.
However,Davis has said 'that staying in the single market is improbable', do we assume that means holding onto the banking passport will also be improbable?
It is surprising that Davis would make that statement so soon after the Japanese Premier made it clear that if the UK did not retain the single market and the passport it was putting 140,000 UK jobs within Japanese companies at risk.
I wonder if employees in those companies appreciated that a vote Leave was a possible vote to lose their jobs,Boris didn't mention that,actually I don't think Cameron did either.!
KudosDave

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
I get the feeling that Davis is, like Boris, off on a planet of his own, and following his own agenda.
Statements coming from all three seem to contradict each other!

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Can we go all out and presume today there will never be a "Saint Teresa of Brexit"? :rolleyes:

oldgroaner

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2015
OG.....May and Davis are managing not to reveal anything about their plans for Brexit,I think that is easy because they haven't a clue what that plan will be.
However,Davis has said 'that staying in the single market is improbable', do we assume that means holding onto the banking passport will also be improbable?
It is surprising that Davis would make that statement so soon after the Japanese Premier made it clear that if the UK did not retain the single market and the passport it was putting 140,000 UK jobs within Japanese companies at risk.
I wonder if employees in those companies appreciated that a vote Leave was a possible vote to lose their jobs,Boris didn't mention that,actually I don't think Cameron did either.!
KudosDave
One wonders what they can actually want from the EU? more disturbing than the fact that it isn't obvious to an outsider, is the sneaking suspicion that they haven't realised that they will have no say in the matter and will simply have to accept what the EU is prepared to offer.

The position of the Government can be likened to that of a man about to be hanged demanding a last cigarette of an expensive brand.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Theresa May is starting to look like a bully....the way she treated Osborne,she slapped down Boris because she didn't like the Australian points syste,she slapped down Davis for suggesting that we would probably leave the single market and at PMQ she seems to respond with clever and glib remarks even to serious questions.
Whilst I have no time for Corbyns policies he is a genuine guy and should expect responsible answers to his questions.
KudosDave

• Agree
Reactions: oldgroaner and trex

Advertisers