Thicko arrived...

Alib

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 18, 2016
Cornwall
Hi all.

I've wanted an electric bike for a long time, replacement knee not allowing me to do my passion of downhill mountain biking!

Anyway, I've bought this bike that has obviously a home made electric kit on it. I've swapped the bits over to my kona but would like to know what I've actually just bought.

Anyone fancy helping me out if I post pics?

Ali

Reactions: LeighPing

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Get on and post them other wise you will not get anywhere and keep us guessing.

danielrlee

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 27, 2012
Westbury, Wiltshire
torquetech.co.uk
Has the fork broken yet?

EDIT: Sorry, I'm just being a bit of a tool. Seriously though, do you have a torque arm installed? If not, the fork dropouts won't last an hour and dental work ain't cheap.

Last edited:
  • :D

fishingpaul

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2007
Could possibly be a golden motor,they had the same three rings,just guessing by the large size of what i think is the controller by the back wheel,,i would imagine it would give out a lot of amps,the 8ah battery may struggle to cope with the demand and cut out on hills.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Going by your battery a 36v system , 10" leaf front Direct Drive hub either 750 or 1000w. Some where on the hub should be some markings which can be de-cyphered to find the speed winding, but from your input sounds like a fast wind motor as on the hills you say it all but stops. Mounted on the front ideally you will need a torque arm each side because the ali fork drops outs may eventually snap with a heavy powered motor and you will only know about it once you hit the deck, there should be on each side an anti - rotation washer but you can't rely totally on them to stop steel axle from spinning or breaking ali drop outs. Also the axle is probably 12 or 14mm so needs to sit a bit d beeper in the drop outs by 2 -4 mm this has to be done carefully with some files or better still a Dremel type of multi tool. The two controller boxes are they seperates or one dual double box ?
Battery wise I'd be surprised if you can get much more then 10/12 miles range or an hrs ride out of it so keep it very local until you know how far and how long as when there is no power left you certainly won't be pedalling , pushing it will be hard enough.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: LeighPing and Alib

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Going by your battery a 36v system , 10" leaf front Direct Drive hub either 750 or 1000w. Some where on the hub should be some markings which can be de-cyphered to find the speed winding, but from your input sounds like a fast wind motor as on the hills you say it stops. Mounted on the front ideally you will need a torque arm each side because the ali fork drops outs may eventually snap with a heavy powered motor and you will only know about it once you hit the deck, there should be on each side an anti - rotation washer but you cant rely totally on them to stop steel axle from spinning or breaking ali drop outs. The two controller boxes are they seperates or one dual double box ?
Probably a sensible precaution, but as the OP has discovered, it has very little torque.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Alib

Jun 18, 2016
Cornwall
Going by your battery a 36v system , 10" leaf front Direct Drive hub either 750 or 1000w. Some where on the hub should be some markings which can be de-cyphered to find the speed winding, but from your input sounds like a fast wind motor as on the hills you say it all but stops. Mounted on the front ideally you will need a torque arm each side because the ali fork drops outs may eventually snap with a heavy powered motor and you will only know about it once you hit the deck, there should be on each side an anti - rotation washer but you cant rely totally on them to stop steel axle from spinning or breaking ali drop outs. The two controller boxes are they seperates or one dual double box ?
Battery wise I'd be surprised if you can get much more then 10/12 miles range or an hrs ride out of it so keep it very local until you know how far and how long as when there is no power left you certainly won't be pedalling , pushing it will be hard enough.
There's only one controller, I meant the other silver box is the battery. So, apart from the torque arms, how else can I make this better, especially in the hills?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
get rid of it and get a bafang mid drive ;)

or this

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The hub motors are wound for certain speeds for hill climbing a low wind is required of about 200 rpm give or take 10 rpm but lack fast speed, for high speed then 328 rpm or with these motors they are quite often 400- 490 rpm for very fast riding on the flat but then are totally inefficient for slower climbing where they overheat and all but stall. There for most try to go for 230 - 270 rpm for the best of both worlds and use a geared hub up to 500w and then tinker with the set up to get what they want.
There shoulds be a label or stamping on the hub some where to give an idea of the winding also a label on the controller.
With a lower wound hub you can improve things by increasing voltage you gain more speed and a small improvement in torque, a higher rated controller will give more torque but this does not work on a high wound motor that is inefficient for hill climbing.

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Probably a sensible precaution, but as the OP has discovered, it has very little torque.

I wouldn't want to be on it as 30 mph if it does decide to spin out what ever the torque.

Alib

Jun 18, 2016
Cornwall
Hi guys and girls.

Just to let you know, the kit worked fine and I did what was said and got a torque arm fitted. However, this weekend the end of the forks completely sheared off where the axle sits in...

Ali

• Informative

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Hi guys and girls.

Just to let you know, the kit worked fine and I did what was said and got a torque arm fitted. However, this weekend the end of the forks completely sheared off where the axle sits in...

Ali
Maybe the torque arm was fitted wrongly?