Think a kit is the cost effective option, but at 18St 8Lbs, I may be wrong.

Encantador

Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2008
Hi,

The background is that I purchased two electric cycles from Cytronex in Winchester 12 years ago. They were mainly for taking on our Motorhome. They are Trek Hybrids, you press the button and the motor kicks in and braking shuts it off, front hub motor, bottle battery. Although very lightly used, they have done the job when needed. I am 6ft 5In and over 18 stones, wife is 5ft 2in and 8st.
The only difference between them is the frame size. They have 18 gears (I think), they are buried in the shed at the moment.

We are now retired and as well as taking the abroad on our MH, hopefully, we can make more use of them at home too, both for fitness and transport locally. Cant really see any round trip at home or abroad will be more than 12-15 miles.

The problem is one of the batteries is no longer working. I know the fact they no longer supply the older style batteries has been discussed on here so don't really need to go there. What I am looking for is a solution.

I am a total novice in terms of understanding how these things work, and like most people, like a bargain.

Having looked at new ebikes, I have learnt a bit about the new rules and after looking at the prices, think re-using the bikes we have might be the best option.

I would probably convert one, probably mine and if all goes well, consider also doing the wifes before that battery gives out.

I am guessing that there is nothing that can be re-used and so the Cytronex kit would have to be removed and start from scratch.

If possible I would like advice on the best options for both cycles. I am totally confused by the kits on offer in terms of the best size, watts, volts etc etc to go for and whether the cycles need the same kit.

I have no skills in the area so would probably have to find someone locally to fit for me.

Any advice, suggestions on what would work best for us would be most welcome.

Thanks

Steve

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
can you post some pictures of your bike?

Encantador

Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2008
Not sure if this is any help. Any specific parts to photograph?

Just realised that there is a difference in the frame shape too. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Both bikes look like they use a lithium battery of some type lion or lipo, if that is the case all you need to do is buy new battery's or have your old ones re-celled (if it is possible )so that they will use the same mount and no need to make any other changes.

Reactions: Encantador

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Both bikes are easy to convert - aluminium frame, plenty of space inside the triangle for a standard downtube battery (36cm x 10cm).
Take your time to assess your objectives: would you take on mountain roads? what kind of range is your maximum ride in a day?
then choose a motor and battery to match.

Encantador

Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2008
Both bikes look like they use a lithium battery of some type lion or lipo, if that is the case all you need to do is buy new battery's or have your old ones re-celled (if it is possible )so that they will use the same mount and no need to make any other changes.
Thanks for the reply. Where would I go to get this done?

Steve

Encantador

Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2008
Both bikes are easy to convert - aluminium frame, plenty of space inside the triangle for a standard downtube battery (36cm x 10cm).
Take your time to assess your objectives: would you take on mountain roads? what kind of range is your maximum ride in a day?
then choose a motor and battery to match.
Thanks for the reply. Tried out a pedal assist at a show recently and my wife liked it, as opposed to the simple on/off we have now. So depending on the difference in cost of re-celling as mentioned above, we may decide to convert at least one anyway.

The max I would imagine is riding in a day would be 12-15 miles, so lets say 20 to be on the safe side. Can't say there will not ever be hills to climb, but certainly no mountain riding, at least not on purpose. I am guessing I would need a bigger battery because of my weight.

Is it as simple as any motor as they all have to be a max of 250watts, and a mid range battery (price) because we wont be doing that many miles and if we do both bikes, a slightly bigger battery for me?

Thanks

Steve

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
the 250W is only nominal, a minimum guarantee that the motor won't overheat at that level of output. Ideally, choose an 80NM and above crank motor or a rear hub motor of 50NM or above to take into account of your weight. Your wife does not need the same amount of assistance, so 60NM+ crank drive motor or 40NM+ geared hub motor is OK.
For battery, 36V 13AH battery is fine.
Costwise, allow £500 for a hub kit, £600 for a crank drive kit.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
As the bikes are pre 2016 from about 2008, being throttle/twist and go means they are legal only in the UK. As it stands not legal for EU use.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I see a couple of options.
1. Buy complete new kits with battery and replace both. Cost about £500 - £600 each bike.
2. Keep the existing front hub (dependent on the motor wire connector) and buy a new controller/lcd with PAS, also buy a new battery either 24v or 36v to suit the current voltage in use. Cost about £300 - £400 each bike.
3. For UK use only replace the battery only. Cost about £160 -£275 for each bike.

Obviously option one or two if you want to use them legally abroad without a throttle. Simply having a throttle fitted and unplugged so it is not usable in the EU may not meet approval and could still be open for prosecution/fine when abroad.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Thanks for the reply. Where would I go to get this done?

Steve
If you go down the route of only updating the battery for a re -cell, then call the guys at ebikebatteries.co.uk. tel. 020 8361 1790.
The company is in London and Jimmy is the battery tech expert who is well known to those in the ebike world. Send him a pic of your batteries from all angles and he will tell you if they can be re - celled. He will arrange collection and delivery when ready and you would be mildly surprised as his costs compared to new.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
his front hub motor may have wrong voltage, or rusted or too small for his weight.
I reckon he should upgrade the whole lot.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Although replacing the battery sounds like a simple solution I’m fairly sure there are added complications in the case of the Cytronix kit. The original battery was Nicad with a bespoke voltage. As indicated in OP, there are other threads on the subject. I’m sure a complete kit will be the easiest option (even easier if you go with Woosh).

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
WIth NiCad or Nimh voltage makes little difference as long as the replacement Lithium voltage is similar, some 24v systems use 6s though 7s is more common.
The hub will take a little extra voltage in its stride.

My Swizzbee #2 was Nimh original voltage max was 28v - 28.6v but replaced them with 18650 lion. I made up a pair of 7s lithium for it (23.2ah of PF's & 17.5ah of HE2's), the new lion's are 29.4v max though the hub and controller will take 8s & 33.6v.

It will all boil down to how much Steve wants to spend.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Your point is well argued. However, the controller is inside that special bottle.
If that has gone wrong or goes wrong in the near future, the investment in a new battery would go to waste. Same goes for that 12 year old motor.
I must say I have a lot of respect for the guy who designed that C1 system.
Beautiful job it was. Well ahead of everyone else.

Encantador

Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2008
Thanks for all the replies.

Not sure I understand a lot of what has been suggested, but am leaning towards replacing the whole kit, mainly due to the age. One bike at a time.

So the next question is which kit and whether we would benefit from any particular system over another, I am thinking mainly about the differences/benefits of the different motor locations.

Anyone care to post links to any kit/battery combinations they would recommend for each bike.

Thanks

Steve

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
will you do the conversion yourself?