Thinking now is it all worth while ?

Bobajob

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2019
Cornwall
Interesting Germany well they always have been ahead of Britain with many things
as for bikes Germany shall be alike that of Holland I guess .

Im happy enough for now with bike ive stayed loyal to now for the past 20 plus yrs
and for now im in no rush for a bike.. this bike I still use today was built by Raleigh and copied from the Dutch style of back brake in the hub

ive come from way back with a bike with no gears at all on a bike
to that's of 3 speed old dutch bike with Sturmey Archer gearing
and the with back pedal to brake .. and then as now the 7 speed Nexus
gearing inside the back wheel of the hub is the gearing again taken from
the Dutch style and no probs in all that time .

Possibly the converting the bike I have would be the best way for me to go ?
but again I aint any engineer or sorts :)

Im In no big rush and that's when you can rush into buying and regret it
much best to take your time over any move u make , when it comes to parting
with good money > as e bikes are expensive today .
I have a German bike which is aHaibike.This German bike is built in Taiwan with Taiwan and Japanese parts, the motor is Japanese and it’s all assembled in Hungary.

I agree not to rush in but by sitting back waiting for better development/upgrades etc etc will be akin to computers, where there is always a better model just a few months away.
I felt when purchasing, go for the best in budget option you can as no matter what you buy there are areas which you like and dislike, which will only be found out once you’ve been riding it for a few months.
People ask me about bikes when I’m out and I always say the same sort of advice, if you’re fairly fit stay with non electric if not or want another form of transport go for an ebike.
areas I find is peddling above 15.5mph is substantially harder than a light weight non electric (drag) bike which when on the flat you can spin along nicely. If you’re not going to pedal above 15.5 on the flat but require assistance up hills then go for an ebike.

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
I have a German bike which is aHaibike.This German bike is built in Taiwan with Taiwan and Japanese parts, the motor is Japanese and it’s all assembled in Hungary.

I agree not to rush in but by sitting back waiting for better development/upgrades etc etc will be akin to computers, where there is always a better model just a few months away.
I felt when purchasing, go for the best in budget option you can as no matter what you buy there are areas which you like and dislike, which will only be found out once you’ve been riding it for a few months.
People ask me about bikes when I’m out and I always say the same sort of advice, if you’re fairly fit stay with non electric if not or want another form of transport go for an ebike.
areas I find is peddling above 15.5mph is substantially harder than a light weight non electric (drag) bike which when on the flat you can spin along nicely. If you’re not going to pedal above 15.5 on the flat but require assistance up hills then go for an ebike.
Good answers ^ Of course with a non e bike when say u come into hilly areas
and I mean pretty hilly then can always walk up them parts , and cycle up on the slight hilly
parts , and of course flat and downhill .

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I love those old photo's of cyclists from the past, look closely at the fine details. The chap far left has a very small chain ring compared to the others, spot the fitted pumps clipped into the frames. Far left again it's in the top tube, second cyclist has his in the seat tube same as the third but his is behind the tube.
Notice the single brake lever for the front wheel, great for travelling fast downhill I should think. Looks like each has a bell fitted, on the left you'll see keeping the right hand free for braking. See the front light brackets as well ?

Ah..the third eye, good man. ;)
More of Flecc as a young man (Eons ago!!)
SAM_2406.JPG

• :D
Reactions: flecc

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
The one on the extreme right looks like Lupino Lane (flecc knows who that was)

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
Much a side issue, but one these photos share with many from the past, even our family album, is the "ears".
What has generically happened, exceptions accepted, that today they are far more streamline?
Could it be the advent of the bike, the greater speed of travel, so the chilling effect has in a Darwinian way resulted in the hauling in?;)

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Much a side issue, but one these photos share with many from the past, even our family album, is the "ears".
What has generically happened, exceptions accepted, that today they are far more streamline?
Could it be the advent of the bike, the greater speed of travel, so the chilling effect has in a Darwinian way resulted in the hauling in?;)
Now that you mention it, yes, no obvious reason why.
Although the countryside has got a bit noisier (Traffic, farm vehicles etc.) towns have certainly got quieter since the end of iron tyres on horse drawn vehicles.
What fascinates me is just how high the saddles are set and the general large size of the bike frames.
That might be something to do with horse drawn vehicles, horse manure on the roads, rabid dogs, who knows?
I know that all those old bikes were mounted in a totally different way to the way we do.
Probably left over from the Penny farthing, all bikes had an extension of the rear axle known as the step. to mount, you scooted along with left foot on the step and then swung yourself up into the saddle.
I remember learning to ride in 1950 and my Mother insisted that both my feet should reach the ground, but it was still common practice to scoot the bike with the right foot on the pedal and then swing up onto the saddle. I clearly remember watching this being done as I was learning.
Yet today, most riders get on from the left hand side.