Thinking now is it all worth while ?

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
You missed out Hareem pants, Leggings and Bermuda shorts! :)
Well, I suppose if she was still around, Mrs Bloomer herself would feel peeved at my not giving her a mention, after all she did invent and popularise the things.

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's fair enough flecc but hey I wasn't around in the days

eh the Penny farthing bikes :D
I've actually ridden one back in 1952, a terrifying experience first time. I had the job of delivering it back the the customer at 16 years old after we'd worked on it.

There used to be races for them in Yorkshire, may still be, but the correct name for these bikes now is High Wheelers. There's also a penny farthing club, here's some of the members riding along the Thames embankment, suitably attired:

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
For those interested in old bikes, there is the Online bike museum.

I was interested at that picture of the 5 riders Flecc,
I see from contemporary drawings of that era, many riders were pictured as leaning back rather than bolt upright. I suppose this was to ensure that the small back wheel remained in contact with the road.

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
For those interested in old bikes, there is the Online bike museum.

I was interested at that picture of the 5 riders Flecc,
I see from contemporary drawings of that era, many riders were pictured as leaning back rather than bolt upright. I suppose this was to ensure that the small back wheel remained in contact with the road.
And what if the small back wheel wasn't in contact with the road , I wonder then ?

Good pic though flecc of them penny farthing bicycles :) Is interesting
old bikes to look back on ..

flecc > Was that you at the back or in the front ?

• :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm sure those drawings are just artistic licence, it isn't necessary or even practical to lean back. These old high wheelers are very heavy and unlikely to ever lose ground contact in normal riding on the flat. They're all steel of course and even the spokes surprisingly thick like rods.

Jamming on the brake hard would lift the back wheel, pitching the rider over the handlebars, so they are scary going downhill. The worst thing is getting off when stopping, you have to slow to almost standstill and hop backwards off the saddle and plant the feet both sides of the rear wheel while holding onto the handlebar, calling for tricky co-ordination.

Reactions: budsy

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Those men look quite small and in that era probably were, so it is surprising just how large their bike frames were and how high their saddles.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Those men look quite small and in that era probably were, so it is surprising just how large their bike frames were and how high their saddles.
There's a distinct difference in stature between northern and southern Italians, due to their historic racial mixes. That's led to the cruel northern joke:

"Why are southern Italians so small?

It's because their mothers told them that when they grew up they'd have to go out to work".

Also traditionally utility bicycle use has always been far greater in the south, Vittorio De Sica's famous film "Ladri di biciclette" ( The Bicycle Thieves) based on that.

The Italians in the above photo are very typically southern, my family are from the far north near the foot of the Alps.

Reactions: RossG and budsy

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
There's a distinct difference in stature between northern and southern Italians, due to their historic racial mixes. That's led to the cruel northern joke:

"Why are southern Italians so small?

It's because their mothers told them that when they grew up they'd have to go out to work".

Also traditionally utility bicycle use has always been far greater in the south, Vittorio De Sica's famous film "Ladri di biciclette" ( The Bicycle Thieves) based on that.

The Italians in the above photo are very typically southern, my family are from the far north near the foot of the Alps.
I thought that all Southern Italian Males carried short barrelled shotguns, I saw it in 'The Godfather' so it must be true.

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
The worst thing is getting off when stopping, you have to slow to almost standstill and hop backwards off the saddle and plant the feet both sides of the rear wheel while holding onto the handlebar, calling for tricky co-ordination.
And I was mentioning in a post a week or so ago about "The mans bike " we all know with
the bar all along the top of the frame in which in a way is annoying me more these days
as its not so easy to get the > leg over getting them days > pardon the pun :)

But seeing how high up them guys were on their penny farthings
then I think id have given up on a bike long before now if I lived in their World of bikes
in them golden days and I think we all would have :D

• Agree

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
And I was mentioning in a post a week or so ago about "The mans bike " we all know with
the bar all along the top of the frame in which in a way is annoying me more these days
as its not so easy to get the > leg over getting them days > pardon the pun :)

But seeing how high up them guys were on their penny farthings
then I think id have given up on a bike long before now if I lived in their World of bikes
in them golden days and I think we all would have :D

make one mistake your dead fkn crazy ppl lol :p

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
I chose a 'step thru' due to me suffering the effects of old age' It is as strong as the traditional bike, has 14 speed hub gears and is an absolute joy to ride.

It is also streets ahead of its predecessor and that was very good.

It just cost a lot but worth it to me.

Reactions: flecc and budsy

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i ride round like that anyway just 30mph on the flat off road on the pavement dodging all the retards :p

DSC_0222_03.JPG

• :D

RossG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2019
I love those old photo's of cyclists from the past, look closely at the fine details. The chap far left has a very small chain ring compared to the others, spot the fitted pumps clipped into the frames. Far left again it's in the top tube, second cyclist has his in the seat tube same as the third but his is behind the tube.
Notice the single brake lever for the front wheel, great for travelling fast downhill I should think. Looks like each has a bell fitted, on the left you'll see keeping the right hand free for braking. See the front light brackets as well ?
i ride round like that anyway just 30mph on the flat off road on the pavement dodging all the retards :p

View attachment 35925
Ah..the third eye, good man. ;)