This arrived today :)

Ronnyuk

Pedelecer
Mar 3, 2014
Bristol
ronny.ws
I am about to have my first ride on the Oxygen E-Mate 13ah so will see how it compares on my 8 mile ride home tonight :)

I previously had a Burisch Synergy 250 which was a great bike but not really powerful enough for my ehem big frame haha, this Oxygen is very well built, the pictures do not do it justice as the frame is chunky but side on it looks a quite thin, loving the USB port to charge your phone and the LCD display with backlight is nice.
The Battery is big and is removed with a key but unlike the Burisch it comes straight off so no having to undo silly cables.

Never ridden a bike with hydraulic brakes either so I maybe over the handlebars shortly.
IMG_0011.JPG IMG_0015.JPG IMG_0013.JPG IMG_0017.JPG IMG_0019.JPG

Ronnyuk

Pedelecer
Mar 3, 2014
Bristol
ronny.ws
Ride home was nice, it said I was doing 19mph but I know I wasn't, Strava said I averaged 13mph, the hill at Lodgecauseway still caused me problems so even the CST motor struggles with that hill.

The bike seemed to get up to 19mph indicated very quick but then cut out so this made it hard to sit at 15mph which would have felt right, I may need to tweak it a little?

My Ride

Says it's a 30% gradient hill is that even possible>?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

That's a steep hill. Any legal ebike will struggle up that one.

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
Nice bike, I bet you won't want to get it dirty.
What is your opinion on hydraulic brakes, I've never had them yet either.

Reactions: Ronnyuk

Ronnyuk

Pedelecer
Mar 3, 2014
Bristol
ronny.ws
Well after some Private messages with Daveh I now realised I had the bike setup wrong ha-ha, so tomorrow should be easier, the brakes are amazing they don't throw you over the handlebars like I thought but they do stop much better than cable disc brakes.

I suppose it depends on your weight, the heavier you are the more they have to work.

I prefer the 19" frame to the 18 on the Burisch.

Oh and I would also like to thank the guys at Oxygen, delivered on the day they said and fully built and setup, all I had to do was screw the pedals on. You get a small toolkit and a charger in the box.

D

Deleted member 4366

Let us know how you get on tomorow, now that you've figured it out. It should be even better.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
That's a steep hill. Any legal ebike will struggle up that one.

Just for the record, the above sweeping statement is not true. My Bosch powered bike has been effortlessly climbing gradients of up to 50% this week. Also look at the elevation gains. The rides have been ridden with a mix of mainly eco and tour, along with a couple of minutes of the sport setting. No turbo setting has been used.

Two examples. Strava: http://app.strava.com/activities/344274116

Strava: http://app.strava.com/activities/346040757

Last edited:

Ronnyuk

Pedelecer
Mar 3, 2014
Bristol
ronny.ws
Just for the record, the above sweeping statement is not true. My Bosch powered bike has been effortlessly climbing gradients of up to 50% this week. Also look at the elevation gains. The rides have been ridden with a mix of mainly eco and tour, along with a couple of minutes of the sport setting. No turbo setting has been used.

But how much do you weigh?

I think Dave was referring to the fact I am not 11 stone so I doubt your Bosch Bike will manage the hill?

D

Deleted member 4366

Eddie, your Stava shows gradients of 98% and nearly everything over 30%. Something is wrong. The climb is 4000ft in 10 miles, which is about 8%. If you found a true 30% hill, you would know it. A Bosch is OK up to about 20%. After that, it's hard work.

selrahc1992

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 10, 2014

a problem - for me and I suspect others - is the confusion between "percentage" and "degree" as measures of gradient. Baldwin street in Dunedin, new Zealand, for the record, is the steepest road in the world - at 35% (disputed 38%) (see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grade_(slope)
a student was killed on it when a wheelie bin she was riding in down it hit a trailer. I may be wrong but I think you may be getting degrees and percentages mixed up.

ricoghardforth

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2014
Rotherham
Ride home was nice, it said I was doing 19mph but I know I wasn't>?
I'm was beginning to wonder if the speed on my oxygen MTB display was reading a bit high. Especially now I've put some road tyres on with a slightly smaller profile. I've actually fitted a £6.99 wireless aldi bike computer to compare and the bike display does read about 2mph more than the aldi one so not sure which one to believe. I need to find a full screen gps speed app for my iPhone and check them both against this. If I find the bike it displaying the speed faster than it actually is what would be the ramifications of changing the bike settings from 27.5' to 26'. There is no setting on the bike display like the aldi bike computer to enter circumference in mm i.e. 2090mm only 4 options in inch's. 26, 27.5 , 28, 29.

Ronnyuk

Pedelecer
Mar 3, 2014
Bristol
ronny.ws
Mine was out due to me changing the wheel circumference to 29 instead of 26.5 lol, I was adjusting the Max Speed in the menu and adjusted the wrong setting so my speedo was out :)
Daveh showed me the error of my ways and I have now set it all correctly, plus you can adjust the max assisted speed to a lot higher than the 15.5mph as standard.

PhilYerBoots

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2011
Wallasey, Wirral.
The LCD controller confused me a bit too Ronny. I managed to increase the speed limiter but in the process must have changed something else as the speed was reading permanently at 50mph virtually as soon as I got going, so no assist. Then I changed another setting from 6 to 1 or visa versa and that sorted it out. Wow..it just wants to keep going..better be careful on the PAS levels !
Does anybody have a user guide for the display panel ? Absolute Bikes sent me a PDF that explains some settings but not in depth, e.g. battery voltage is displayed but there's an option for % instead but how do you change it to that..?..and what is trip 2 and the time option for..?
Anyway, enjoy your bike Ronny, as I certainly am..:D.

PhilYerBoots

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2011
Wallasey, Wirral.
Agree the power/torque in the CST motor is impressive, comparing to my old bike with an ezee kit on throttle only.
Nice one, that would be great Ronny, and I'm sure appreciated by others with the same bike/ control panel on here.

ricoghardforth

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2014
Rotherham
Holy Smoke the ride into work was sooooo much different, assistance way past the actual gearing took me 13 mins to do 4 miles lol my journey home was all downhill but omg at the power.

Phil, I will put a little guide on how to adjust everything if you want, Daveh helped me so it should be pretty easy to follow.

http://www.strava.com/activities/346490924
Heres the doc for the oxydrive kit as it has more info on the display than the oxygen mtb manual. John at oxygen printed me a one page cheat sheet for the display and settings but I dont have it at work.

Phil I think you managed to change the setting for what type of speed sensor you had, probably number of poles on hall sensor has, which why your speed was wrong.

On another note I've not got bike to check but do the oxygen bikes have a frame serial number any where. I'm looking into getting bike register tagging kit but can get to the point where you purchase it as it wants to know frame numbers.

Attachments