this is really a big problem. The electric motor touches the brake. Please advise.

dzhem

Pedelecer
May 13, 2021
Guys is there any way to fix this? I don't know how to deal with this. waiting for your ideas.

Thanks..

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Speaking only for myself, I am unclear as to what you have for a problem!
I see that the axle fixing nut and washers are missing or appear to be either broken, or parts are removed or have fallen off, but the parts (disk/brake) you circled, are too unclear for anything better than guessing.
But having the axle not properly mounted and fixed in place, could cause severe problems with the disk brake....
May I suggest more photos from front, rear and sides. Maybe closer up, and your own description to accompany those photos.
Did you yourself remove the axle fixings, or have they just fallen off?
I personally see the problems to be from the area I have circled in black.....
But Ashampoo_Snap_03 June 2021_20h17m11s_001_.jpghopefully, one of our pros here can assist you far better than I can.
regards
Andy

Last edited:

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
Is it not that the hub can't yet be fixed with the shaft nut, simply because it fouls the calliper on initial offering up?

Frame spreading and inserting a spacer washer?

dzhem

Pedelecer
May 13, 2021
Speaking only for myself, I am unclear as to what you have for a problem!
I see that the axle fixing nut and washers are missing or appear to be either broken, or parts are removed or have fallen off, but the parts (disk/brake) you circled, are too unclear for anything better than guessing.
But having the axle not properly mounted and fixed in place, could cause severe problems with the disk brake....
May I suggest more photos from front, rear and sides. Maybe closer up, and your own description to accompany those photos.
Did you yourself remove the axle fixings, or have they just fallen off?
I personally see the problems to be from the area I have circled in black.....
But hView attachment 42769opefully, one of our pros here can assist you far better than I can.
regards
Andy
Since the electric motor touched the brake part, I could not put it back and therefore I did not install those parts. I'm posting some more photos now. I hope this helps you understand the situation. I didn't break anything. I'm still trying to install this. When I put the wheel in its housing, I did not tighten the screws as the engine was touching the brake.

Attachments

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
Hi, I think you have 2 choices...

Like @flecc says, I use the thinnest washer I can that will give me clearance. Best to loosen your brake caliper bolts before fitting the wheel as adding a washer will move the disk sideways - I always end up having to adjust the brakes after I've converted a bike to electric.

Or a brake upgrade as @davell - you will need a larger disk and a new mounting to move the caliper away from the hub. Both are good solutions, the washer is a cheaper option ;)

Reactions: dzhem

dzhem

Pedelecer
May 13, 2021
Insert an extra washer between the collar and the motor in the position shown by the red arrow below:

View attachment 42778
Hi, I think you have 2 choices...

Like @flecc says, I use the thinnest washer I can that will give me clearance. Best to loosen your brake caliper bolts before fitting the wheel as adding a washer will move the disk sideways - I always end up having to adjust the brakes after I've converted a bike to electric.

Or a brake upgrade as @davell - you will need a larger disk and a new mounting to move the caliper away from the hub. Both are good solutions, the washer is a cheaper option ;)
yes, as our friend said, I added a new one, it worked, but now the brake is stuck on the disc. When I checked the setting, I saw that it stood farthest from the disk. so it looks like I'll need a new disc and brake caliper. :(

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Often one has to upgrade the brake rotor to a larger diameter and fit the appropriate brake mount for rotor. One can try and space out the drop out width but the former is easier and saves pulling and puffing if you need to have the wheel out.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
180mm is normally the minimum size rotor for a rear hub- motor, then you should always start your alignment from the left (brake) side. Your first task is to arrange washers and spacers to get the disc lined up with the centr of the caliper. For just about every motor I've fitted, that required one additional standard 12mm washer on the axle closest to the motor.

dzhem

Pedelecer
May 13, 2021
180mm is normally the minimum size rotor for a rear hub- motor, then you should always start your alignment from the left (brake) side. Your first task is to arrange washers and spacers to get the disc lined up with the centr of the caliper. For just about every motor I've fitted, that required one additional standard 12mm washer on the axle closest to the motor.
I tried to do as you said but I couldn't quite understand. I don't understand where I went wrong. As you can see in the photos, the brake caliper still touches the electric motor.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Did you fix the rotor to the motor?
The rotor needs to stand further out from the motor. You could achieve this by placing washers on the fixing screws between the disc and the motor

dzhem

Pedelecer
May 13, 2021
I c
There's no 12mm washer on the axle closest to the motor, which is what I said you should do!

What size rotor do you have?
I understand. I don't have now but i will buy 12 mm washer. my rotor size is 140 mm.

dzhem

Pedelecer
May 13, 2021
The rotor needs to stand further out from the motor. You could achieve this by placing washers on the fixing screws between the disc and the motor
Probably my rotor is small for this motor?
Should I understand that I should buy a 180mm rotor as our friend said?

Scorpio

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2020
Portugal Algarve (temporary)
Hi, I think my Yose 350w kit is the same as yours, mine has a 160mm disk + axle spacer fitted and clearance is fine. Hope the photo exlains.

For testing, you could remove the rear calliper before a gentle ride up your street to check the motor is working - obviously not to use further than needed.

Attachments

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Let's try and apply a bit of logic. 140mm is definitely to small. 160mm will be close one way or the other. 180mm will definitely give you clearance.

I bet your front brake is 160mm, so borrow the disc off the front wheel. Put it on the motor with two screws and slide the caliper on to see how it looks - no need to install completely. If you have sufficient clearance, buy a 160mm rotor and a suitable adapter. The adapter you need is a 140/160mm. If you don't have clearance, you'll need a 180mm rotor aand a 140/180mm adapter.

dzhem

Pedelecer
May 13, 2021
Thanks for your interest guys. I'm having a bike mechanic do this because I cut my finger. It will use 180mm rotor as you said. But he did not advise me to use the brake sensors. He said after a few months it would cause problems with the engine. Is this true?(I told him to put it on anyway because I want to use my own brake levers.)