This looks interesting.

bazwaldo

Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2010
Off topic for the Ebike theme I know.
But I bought a new laptop for my daughter with Windows 8 for Christmas - my first exposure with it - out of the box I found pretty much unusable and incredibly frustrating.
There were annoying corner pop-ups continually covering up what I was trying to access.
After a couple of hours messing about and Googling I had it updated to 8.1 and setup more like the traditional windows style and it is fine.
Why don't Microsoft give a simple setup process were you choose the type of device you have, ie, no touch screen, and make it easy to choose the usual desktop format?
I agree about Linux and would suggest Linux Mint would suit a lot of Windows refugees!

Best wishes to all members for Christmas.
Barry.

D

Deleted member 4366

What's wrong with Windows 8? It's what's been wrong with all the NT OSes, it's in the way all the time, constantly interfering.

A good operating system should be almost completely invisible to all senses, just enabling programs to operate perfectly.

I'm still waiting for someone to create one, but on present indications it won't be in my lifetime.
Have you tried Ubuntu yet?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Have you tried Ubuntu yet?
I've tried various Linux forms but they don't support some software that's essential to me and I don't want to run high demand applications in virtual systems, far too slow.

I run my own OS variant, a reduced form of NT using the XP core built upon with content reduced files. End result is smaller and faster and has served me well for years now.

But I just wish Microsoft would grow up and stop producing Windows versions for the nursery when the majority users are adults.

D

Deleted member 4366

Ubuntu sets up a dual-boot system, so you can use Linux for most of the time whilst enjoying the speed and security, and when you want to use your Windows stuff, you can boot to real Windows. While your using Ubuntu, you can still access all the files on your Windows partition.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Sorry,
This is all bit beyond me, but more importantly, I don't really want to know.
As a user of so many things, I just want a product that does what it says on the box, no fuss, no 'extras'

awol

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 4, 2013
(still off topic)
I think Microsoft were turning their back on the standard desktop/laptop user but I haven't seen v8.1 yet and agree mike-it should just work like previous windows has, I am dreading the day I have to switch to Win8+.
Linux Mint is a good windows user alternative but I'm with d8veh for Ubuntu, I used it for a good few years on my main PC and still do on our small nettops. Their desktop environment is far better than any other, but like flecc due to some windows only software compatibility I had to pay the Microsoft tax and opted for Win7 on my main PC. I even still have my taskbar along the lefthand side to mimic my old Ubuntu setup. Like most things though mike you/we will all get used to Win8+ one day and wonder how we managed without it.

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
Just to continue the thread drift, On win 8.1 I have no issue with youtube other than the hesitations on download that are caused by youtube.
I used Ubuntu for a while in place of Win 7 as it used less resources and ran faster (Win 8 is as fast or faster than Ubuntu) the biggest issues with all the Linux OS's I tried is initial setup, they struggle with a monitor that doesn't report its frequency or resolution and it can take a long time to sort out for a noobie, graphic card support is poor, and video playback is not up to the quality of windows.

I agree that Windows 8 should have shipped with a switch to desktop mode option at install.
I keep hoping that Linux gets to the ease of setup and use of Windows and with video playback as good but so far it is not there.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Ubuntu sets up a dual-boot system, so you can use Linux for most of the time whilst enjoying the speed and security, and when you want to use your Windows stuff, you can boot to real Windows. While your using Ubuntu, you can still access all the files on your Windows partition.
Yes, I realise I can do that Dave, but apart from the limited time I spend online, I'd have to be off Linux for most of what I use, so hardly worth bothering booting backwards and forwards. I have no particular Microsoft issues online, since not using IE and my adapted system dealt with the rest.

It's just the Microsoft descent into childishness with each successive OS that annoys.