This seems to be an active and very helpful forum. Anybody's forum replies going straight to spam?

Point Reyes

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2021
I posted about equipment and received all kinds of advice that opened up possibilities I didn't or hadn't considered.

I do have an issue about replies from the forum going to my spam folder. I'm using Gmail and have told Google several times that they aren't spam but they still go to spam. The replies all come from the forum address. I've added it to my contacts to see if that corrects it.

Great job on the forum. It'll be the first place I go.

Thanks!

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I just look at the forum fairly regularly and don't get emails, but just testing by watching this thread to check.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I'll reply to your reply. Did it make it to your inbox?
Nothing yet, in either inbox or spam. 5 mins or so after your post so I would have expected it by now. I'll let you know if I do bet anything.

Point Reyes

Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2021
Nothing yet, in either inbox or spam. 5 mins or so after your post so I would have expected it by now. I'll let you know if I do bet anything.
Your reply came through but it went straight into spam again even after I added russ@fireflyuk.net to y contacts. Maybe if I create a Gmail filter?

I just created a rule saying never send it to spam and always mark it important. Can't any clearer than that.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The replies all come from the forum address. I've added it to my contacts to see if that corrects it.
Russell Scott is the founder of the pedelecs forum and an administrator. I've reported your problem to Admin.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Glad you sorted it. I now see several responses in my spam; not sure why they took so long.
I'll unwatch things for now and continue polling 'New Posts' every now and then, but I'll remember about this spam issue in case I want 'real' watching some time in the future.

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
It's most likely because of the volume of emails sent via one static email address, I think I had to set a filter on my email account and occasionally I get one email from a "watched" thread only to find several new posts have been added, however there is never any emails in my spam folder. There maybe a ghost in the server.:eek:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
The message I got on my emails in spam said something like We cannot verify this was sent from fireflyuk.net
I suspect it is using some older mail server that does not have more modern authentication, or hasn't been configured to use it for the russ account.

Messages can be marked spam if they are sent to too many people. I suspect the number of people of this forum using watch is not that great, so probably not the reason here.

Reactions: Scruffydroid

rsscott

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 17, 2006
Russell Scott is the founder of the pedelecs forum and an administrator. I've reported your problem to Admin.
Thanks Flecc, when I set up the forum I must have used an old email address harking back to the days of dial up! I've now changed my account to use my Pedelecs email.

But I think Gmail is marking a number of Pedelecs email as spam, I've had a few people report the confirmation email link doesn't work.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Thanks Flecc, when I set up the forum I must have used an old email address harking back to the days of dial up! I've now changed my account to use my Pedelecs email.

But I think Gmail is marking a number of Pedelecs email as spam, I've had a few people report the confirmation email link doesn't work.
Thanks Russ.
I got a automated response from your post, which went to my (gmail) spam. but It was still addressed from russ@firelyuk.net. Maybe you haven't changed that aspect of the mail sending?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Yes - my spam filter is full of Pedelecs emails from russ@fireflyuk.net.

It isn't a gmail account.
Aware the sender's account is not gmail. The relevant bit is if our account is gmail then gmail will spam the messages by default, as it can't verify that they really did originate from fireflyuk.net. The auto-spamming is also likely to apply to other modern receiving accounts with spam filtering. That is probably because that server doesn't fully authenticate its message. From what russ said above it is a very old email address from a historic server, so I'm not surprised.

I had thought from his note above that he was reconfiguring the pedelecs email sending to avoid using that obsolete account. I was just pointing out that the change still doesn't appear to have been actioned yet; I know how very easy it is to think you have made such a change when for some reason it hasn't taken.

Reactions: Tony1951

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Thank you Russ, yes, now comes from Pedelecs - Electric Bike Community <russell@pedelecs.co.uk>
Still goes to spam for me, but now with the reason 'seems to be similar to messages that were in spam before'. I reported it as not spam. With luck, after a few reported as not spam it will stop putting them there in future. I don't think there is anything more Russ can do to help with that, so thanks again.