Those pesky Grids

BLADERUNNER

Pedelecer
May 5, 2008
I have had my electric bike now for nearly a year, and have cycled in all weathers along the same route everyday day.

My biggest gripe though are the pesky grids,many of them on my commute are truely horrendous.Some of them are a good 2" below the road level, and often have big holes around them where the tarmac has broken away.Of course when it rains you haven't got a clue how deep the water is!

My question is what strategy do you use for avoiding the grids.Do you cycle as close to the pavement as possible and swerve out when you get near to the grid ; or do you take command of the road and cycle away from the kerb to miss the grid altogether.

Cheers
Bladerunner

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I take command of the road and try never to ride in the gutter which is too dangerous and also a prime source of puncturing materials.

Painted cycle lanes are a problem since one does feel obliged to be roughly in them, but I have a mirror on my bikes so I can just pull out safely whenever I need to.

Drain covers are a major problem now, often deeply recessed as a result of modern cost saving road surfacing techniques.

Rad

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 16, 2008
Have to agree, with Mussels and Flecc. You're in front, it's up to the vehicle behind to overtake safely. I also tend to drift into the middle of the road when approaching traffic islands just to make it as difficult as possible for someone to attempt an overtake manouvre. I also always ride at around a meter out from the kerb. Drain covers and potholes if I see them coming I will swerve to avoid but only after checking behind me.

WALKERMAN

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2008
I was just thinking about this when cycling home yesterday - quite a coincidence as I was thinking of posting the same question.

I talked with a motorcyclist last week about this and he was of the opinion that you should have 'road presence' and I think I agree with him. I used to keep well in to the kerb but now I keep a line just outside where the drain covers are positioned.

It can be useful having a bit of extra space between you and the kerb just in case someone does get a bit too close so that you can then move out of the way and not end up being pushed onto the pavement.

I also now take a position to prevent someone overtaking when approaching those middle of the road little islands. I often hear someone braking behind me because they have mis-judged the situation. The standard of driving is appalling these days. Many drivers don't 'think ahead'.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I also now take a position to prevent someone overtaking when approaching those middle of the road little islands. I often hear someone braking behind me because they have mis-judged the situation.
I had someone do this on Monday in the snow, he had to go the other side of the island as he was travelling too fast.

BLADERUNNER

Pedelecer
May 5, 2008
I talked with a motorcyclist last week about this and he was of the opinion that you should have 'road presence' and I think I agree with him. I used to keep well in to the kerb but now I keep a line just outside where the drain covers are positioned.

It can be useful having a bit of extra space between you and the kerb just in case someone does get a bit too close so that you can then move out of the way and not end up being pushed onto the pavement.
This is the approach i try to take.However, since flecc mentioned about using a mirror, i did not realise until this morning on my way to work how often i look over my shoulder, particularly when trying to navigate grids and pot holes.

I think i will have to invest in one!(a mirror that is. Not a pot hole. LOL)
Cheers
Bladerunner

Last edited:

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
While living in Spain for a couple of years, I quickly realised that over caution, any sign of nervousness and , quite frankly, politeness often cause accidents. The Spanish are totally selfish drivers, but as long as everyone else is, there exists a perfect equilibrium of madness. I remember when I was a learning to drive, a coluple of years ago;) , my driving instructor taught me to push drivers over "psychologically" by where you position the vehicle in the road. This will force them to make space for you. This is an invaluable and even more applicable lesson when cycling, I believe.

When I returned to cycling (e-cycling) last year, for the first couple of weeks I found myself afraid of vehicles as they passed me (I couldn't quite believe how close they would get to me) and my cycling reflected my fear of being hit.. I found myself rattling over drains and swerving to avoid potholes, ditches and banks. But as I became more confident, my cycling behaviour became a lot more assertive and controlled and as a consequence, drivers responded accordingly, giving me more space as they passed and more of a reluctance to sqeeze in between me and the on coming vehicle.

Having said all of that, you still have to remain cautious and vigilant of lthat special breed of loony drivers who seem hell bent on the total eradication of all cyclists.

BW
musicbooks

Last edited: