Thoughts on Carrera Crossfire-E

mcozzy

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2016
Ah nice one thanks! CABE 28 on mine, dont know what the cabe stands for though.
Unfortunately through some more digging it appears that there are different part numbers for the controller depending on wheelsize.
ebct14-sr3604phc-485-26-x
x can be either 26, 27.5, 29 & 700c (28 I assume!)
So no chance of a bit of fiddling.
I think I read on here that someones bike didn't cut till 27.5kph. Maybe they have a 26 controller fitted by mistake, every little helps!
In fact they must do according to my calcs.
difference between 26 & 28 =7.7%
25.5kph +7.7% = 27.3kph

Last edited:
Reactions: LeighPing

mcozzy

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2016
Whats everyone mileage then?
46km (29 miles) and 17% left, or 2 bars on the battery. So that lasts me a week for my 6 mile a day round trip.
I may push it to running out at some point, but dont want to be too far away from home!
A few hills on my commute & I'm quite heavy at 15.5 stone.

wobare

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 4, 2015
Bristol
I cycle 9 miles each way. One charge lasts for 2 journeys (36 miles) and I still have from 10% to 20% percent left. All depends what level of support I use, what the weather conditions are etc and whether I have any shopping in the bag:) It is difficult to to run it out. I managed to get to 1% but it took a long time cycling around my estate to get it from 10% to 1%. I think the battery usage indicator is not linear so there is still a lot of power left at the bottom of the battery.

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
I fitted an ezee kit to a Carrera crossfire 3. Bike started at 15.5Kg (it had 24 gears) and ended up at 28\Kg after fitting kit, panniers, lock, waterbottle, mudguards, stand and lights. The bike itself feels great, responsive and the quickfire gear change is good. Disc brakes took a some fettling as Halfords hadn't set them right but work well.
Don't know the system fitted to the Carrera e, but I would think that 9Ah is a bit small. There's nothing worse than battery anxiety when you're miles from home and thinking of having to pedal a heavy dead lump home against the wind. (Have you noticed how there always seems to be a head wind when cycling?:rolleyes:) Overall I'd say the basic bike is nice enough and can be had for £255, so I'd look at that and look at kits with a bigger battery.
View attachment 12722
I like your style and setup good bike and thumbs up to you awesome cycle mirror.

MS.

mcozzy

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2016
Well I suffered the dreaded battery disconnect this morning 3 times in 20 metres :(.
The bike has done about 200km. It was after a particularly bouncy bit of path. The battery does feel noticeably looser in the mount than it did when new. I am going to try a cam strap around the frame & battery to see if that prevents it.

linda

Just Joined
Jul 30, 2016
scotland
Anyone got one of these? I can't find the weight of the bike anywhere or much about the Suntour system. Also reports on Halford's website are very positive but I thought the 36v 9ah battery might be a bit weak.
I purchased this bike 6 weeks ago, weight is 23kg. I only use assisted power on hills, after a 40 mile cycle i still had 68% power left in battery, the quote says range is about 60 miles but if using this way I would have though capable of 100 miles. It's strong enough to get you up the hills without killing yourself but you still need to pedal so still get the natural feel of going out and riding a bike.I love this bike but it's heavy to lift on to a car cycle carrier and you need to count it's weigh as 2 bikes when purchasing a carrier. The down side-comes without lights, bottle rack, mudguards, pannier rack (which I have been told I can't get as the frame is too wide for the rack to fit). Front wheel is quick release but not back which because of the motor will be difficult to change so best to invest in a quality puncture proof tyre. Currently bike is in for it's free 6 week service from Halfords and they are investigating why the battery is randomly switching off when cycling, I'm hopeful this can be resolved as after a lot of research and finding this great bike I don't really want to replace.

Brian lee

Just Joined
Jul 20, 2016
Blackpool uk
Hello everybody, how interesting it's been reading your posts. I to have a Carrera crossfire e, had it 3 months now and done 1200 km on it. It's a good bike I think it's a false claim that you can do 100 miles between charge, the most I've got is 52 mile. I am 18 stone 6 foot which might have a part to play. This bike is ace who needs a 1000 watt motor. I've broken my arm in two place on this piece of kit as it is lol. Will be getting another battery. ..... 350 quid Halfords or amazon 300 quid 9 amp.........It would be nice to know, how to put the accelerator on the handle bars. I'm looking in to this . I've got my
multimeter ready. ....... changing wheel size hmmmm very interesting it is a 400 watt motor after all. We should be able to do it.. We own the bike ..... Some times the law an ass lol. Safe riding everybody.

linda

Just Joined
Jul 30, 2016
scotland
Hi, any of you, owners of Carrera Crossfire E-bike get this problem that the electrical support switches itself off randomly?
Yes, mine did this twice during a 40mile run and once each time I was on a 15mile run, put it into Halfords for it's 6 week service, they tested it and it wouldn't switch off for them, they told me that they contacted their HQ and that this is not a common fault. I will be keeping any eye on any other replys to your question.

doclatham

Nov 18, 2013
Hi. Well in two weeks I've had this happen to me 3 times. My colleague at work had it happen to him once already and he has only had the bike a couple of days. We will both be reporting this to our own local Halfords. It will be interesting to see if they also deny any knowledge of other customers having the same issue.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

mcozzy

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2016
I cleaned the contacts with a cotton bud & solvent and also applied some petroleum jelly. Also with a thin screwdriver bent the contacts in the battery closer together.
One of the prong terminals on the bike was slightly burnt.
I have strapped my battery to the frame with a cam strap. I did read on the halfords website review someone has stuck a foam rubber strip under the battery to stop rattling, this sounds quite a tidy solution as there is a bit of room to do this.
I wont be riding mine for a few weeks unfortunately to test it due to a knee op the other day.

IR772

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2016
Leominster
The burn is a sign of high current across a small surface area which is bad.

Rather than Petroleum jelly you would be better off applying a small amount of conductive paste to each terminal to try and make a better electrical connection.

Copper grease I would try, just be careful to only grease the individual contacts.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Hello all

New Crossfire-e owner here, very pleased with the bike. Any recommendations on puncture resistant tyres for this bike ? Am thinking Schawlbe Marathon Plus or Energizers...

Gus

Aug 5, 2016
Fife
Hi all,

Anyone know how long the 20% off has left to run at Halfords.

I've been humming n hawing about buying one for a while. The big thing that has me worried is my weight, I'm 156kg at the moment, and most ebikes have a max rider weight buried somewhere in the spec but I can't find it on the website.

Any thoughts?

Gus

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
waight wise you should be fine ur not like 30 stone ;)

Brynric

Pedelecer
Jun 29, 2015
Worcestershire
Gus, I'm 6'2" and 120 kgs. I bought a Crossfire this week and I feel it's a good fit. It feels robust and has powered me up some serous hills. I gave it a test up to Snowshill for its first outing.
That said the handbook that comes with the bike reads "adult bicycles are designed to carry a rider of up to 120kg and up to 20 kg of luggage". It goes on "the maximum weight of cycle, rider and luggage should never exceed 160 kgs"
When I asked in the shop they didn't know when the promotion would end but stock was very low. I looked for a small frame step through Crossfire for Mrs B and the nearest available was in Ireland. We agreed to order one now and it would be available to the discount price when available, (September?). I think there's a suggestion that prices may go up because of exchange rates.

Gus

Aug 5, 2016
Fife
Opps, that should have been 156kg, not 146kg, and that's out of the shower, so 160kg with my togs on, lol!

Where I live, all routes out of town are uphill really. 6/8 years ago i was a couple of stones lighter and cycling short distances every day to work, etc, but since redundancy/early retirement and my wife passing away the weight has piled on and whilst I'm still happy walking reasonable distances, cycling up any incline feels like a imminent heart attack.

Gus

Artmuzz

Pedelecer
Jul 10, 2016
Scotland
I have had the Carrera Crossfire-E for a month now and so far it's been an excellent bike. In fact it's been the best thing I've purchased in a long time. I use the bike every day to do shopping and to tour about and it has been a godsend. Where I live there is a lot of uphill cycling and the bike just glides up those hills with hardly any pedalling effort which is great and it's got me back as a cycling addict. Also as a bonus the cycling has helped with the awful depression I have been suffering for the past few years. My only wish is that the maximum speed of the motor was 25mph and the kph was in mph on the pedometer but 15.5mph is still ample.