Thoughts on Carrera Crossfire-E

Artmuzz

Pedelecer
Jul 10, 2016
Scotland
An update. I am having the power cut problem some of you forum members are having. I was cycling round a corner and I felt I was cycling through sticky mud and the speedometer display was blank. I tried to switch the speedometer back on but it wouldn't go back on so I got off the bike and pressed the battery button on the battery until the battery charge indicator lights up then I tried again to switch the speedometer on and this time it went back on and the motor started working again. However, I am worried this will happen again.

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

mcozzy

Pedelecer
Apr 7, 2016
Bugger. Mine went again this morning just on the flat. Had to turn the battery on again but it failed again immediately. Did this a further 3 times & gave up as I was close to work anyway.
So tieing the battery hard to the frame didnt work, will have to try the foam rubber underneath it next.

• Informative
D

Deleted member 4366

If the battery loses contact with the controller, the LCD will go off, but you can switch it on again.

If you can't turn the LCD on because the battery is switched off, and power is restored when you switch the battery back on, then the problem is inside the battery, which means a faulty switch, bad connection, faulty BMS or cell-pack.

If it cuts out on a bump, that would mean a faulty connection. If it does it only at high power, that would mean a BMS or cell pack fault.

If you take your battery off and then re-install it when switched on, it'll burn the contacts. Always make sure your battery is switched off when you put it into its receiver.

Gus

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 5, 2016
Fife
Back up to £999 on Halfords website, ho hum!

I can't believe there are so many e bikes to choose from out there. Unfortunately non of the local stockists em to have any of the models I'm most interested in. Of course the longer you hum n haw and increase your armchair expertise the higher the spec n price rises.

If only I was affluent enough to shrug off a £799 impulse buy if it wasn't a success.

Monday I see my cardio consultant, so might have a better idea just how f####d my body is these days.

Angus

• :D

alvinchip

Aug 22, 2016
london
Hi. Any information received on whether or not another battery is compatible with the Carrera crossfire e? would be great to know. A 15 Ah would be nice.

ive been torn between the Carrera e and the cyclotricity stealth 500w. the Carrera overall has better parts but the cyclotricity stealth has that 15 Ah battery, de restriction mode but quality of parts are below that of the Carrera and quiet a few people have complained about having to change many parts of the stealth not long after purchase.

alvinchip

Aug 22, 2016
london
thankyou for the information soundwave! relieved. I'm planning on going for the 36v 14.5 Ah, not sure whether to choose sony or Panasonic heard Panasonic have good batteries and also, do I choose discharge or not? from what ive read id have to disconnect the old battery and connect this new one to the motor via a cable and there must be a bracket to fit the battery onto, have never done anything with a bike totally new to riding

says at the bottom of the webpage their made for formula E race cars. same voltage as stock though these batteries look like their on a totally different level to the stock battery for the crossfire e. wonder if they improve speed slightly, wouldn't expect it to, though perhaps if I went for the 48v one it would? anyone have this battery? I'm thinking that 48v would mess with the whole software side and PAS system so maybe it best to stick with 36v if not then 48v would be nice

Last edited:

Kev Lakin

Just Joined
Aug 19, 2016
Cheshire
Hi
Picked up my Carrera Crossfire last Friday and I am very impressed by it so far.(£799.00 Bargain).
I got this as I enjoy cycling but I am a runner and often run over 30 miles weekly but at the age of 55 I have found that cycling 60 plus miles a week on top of the running and gym workouts takes its toll.
Today was the first time I used to commute to work(around a 13 mile round trip), arrived at work with very little sweat and full of energy(well as much as I could muster for work). I found the assist very helpful on the hills but on the flat bits i waswell exceeding the 25 klm cut off point(turned off the assist at this point) so had to work a bit.
I got a few snears from people at work saying its cheating but who cares, I am not the one going to work daily in a car, moaning about the traffic and doing no exercise at all,
Only one winner and that,s me and my new found love of cycling.
If you get the chance take one for a test run, You wont look back.

doclatham

Nov 18, 2013
Good for you! I think this is an excellent value bike. I am now up to 800 km.

Only down side. 2 punctures, both in the awkward rear wheel so I am switching to more robust tyres.

Also have had the battery cut out issue twice

But that's 13 commutes to work that I would have done in the car

Have fun

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Informative

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Good for you! I think this is an excellent value bike. I am now up to 800 km.

Only down side. 2 punctures, both in the awkward rear wheel so I am switching to more robust tyres.

Also have had the battery cut out issue twice

But that's 13 commutes to work that I would have done in the car

Have fun

I put a couple of 700 x 35c Schwalbe Energizer Pluses on my corssfire-e last week, the bike rolls much better, with better road grip. Weight wise only about 50g more per tyre that the stock Kenda's, but you can feel the extra thickness in the puncture protection belt in the tyre.
I picked them up from SJS cycles for about £26 delivered for the pair

doclatham

Nov 18, 2013
Interesting. I assume that is on the ebike crossfire? I have ordered 40c tyres as I thought 35s might be too narrow for the rim or not wide enough to take the extra weight of the motor.

I assume they are working well I might change my order

D

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK

doclatham

Nov 18, 2013
OK - this is getting silly - day three cycling to work this week and puncture number three. Yesterday was glass and today was a thorn with a mystery guest on Monday. Those new tyres can't get here fast enough. I have changed my order to 35c land cruisers.

Oh and I got stung by a wasp cycling home last night as well - stuck under my helmet strap.

I'm sure this cycling is good for me!

820km and counting on the Carrera

D

Deleted member 4366

I put a couple of 700 x 35c Schwalbe Energizer Pluses on my corssfire-e last week, the bike rolls much better, with better road grip. Weight wise only about 50g more per tyre that the stock Kenda's, but you can feel the extra thickness in the puncture protection belt in the tyre.
I picked them up from SJS cycles for about £26 delivered for the pair
They have good puncture resistance and last forever, but the downside is their lack of grip, especially in the wet and on salty roads in the winter. Be careful.

• Informative

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
They have good puncture resistance and last forever, but the downside is their lack of grip, especially in the wet and on salty roads in the winter. Be careful.
Thanks for the info. Interesting enough I did check the grip levels on the schwalbe website, and these were rated higher than the marathons (which I'm happy with on my non e bike) and the marathon pluses. Will take it easy in the wet and try and gauge wet grip limits, cheers

Artmuzz

Pedelecer
Jul 10, 2016
Scotland
The motor on my Crossfire-E has cut off again for the second time. It seems to happen when I turn very tight corners for example when I am riding and manoeuvring my way through the fences at the end of bicycle/walk paths.

The only way to get the motor and display back working is by long pressing the button on the battery.

I don't whether to contact Halfords and see if they have any recommendations.

• Informative