Thoughts on Carrera Crossfire-E

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
Strange that Halfords have listed a lesser spec battery !.... I would have thought they would want their Carrera Ebike to appear as best they can.
I would check that its just a mistake on the spec listing.... and they haven't asked Suntour for a smaller 9ah battery to keep their costs down for a higher profit margin.

Earn

Pedelecer
Aug 28, 2015
To be honest, I assumed that was the case but the battey that came with the bike clearly says it is 11ah. Cycled 20km this morning with a headwind using Eco assist apart from hills and the battery is still showing full charge.

Another thing I really like is the control monitor. It is big enough to see easiky and backlit and has most features you would want from a bicycle computer. Best bit is that the controls for adjusting level of assist etc are on the handlebars right next to your left thumb not on the monitor. Really easy to move up and down without having to look.

Yamdude

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2013
Somerset
To be honest, I assumed that was the case but the battey that came with the bike clearly says it is 11ah. Cycled 20km this morning with a headwind using Eco assist apart from hills and the battery is still showing full charge.

Another thing I really like is the control monitor. It is big enough to see easiky and backlit and has most features you would want from a bicycle computer. Best bit is that the controls for adjusting level of assist etc are on the handlebars right next to your left thumb not on the monitor. Really easy to move up and down without having to look.
Well that certainly is a nice bonus to what you were expecting..... makes this bike even more of a good buy i reckon.

liam3777

Just Joined
Nov 1, 2015
Thanks for your help. Probably doing about10 miles to start but hoping to join my husband on some of his shorter (30 mile) cycles eventually. I had been looking at the Roodog Chic, which has 10ah battery, but the battery is enormous. Their website says Last generation battery. When I asked eBikes direct they said it meant latest, but based on the size I think it is probably an older generation technology. The benefit of the Carrera is that I have a Halfords close by if there are issues. It also look great and the battery fits neatly on the (ladies) crossbar. Doesn't have a throttle or lights and I need to make sure I can fit a pannier rack for shopping.
I did 15 miles on (red) mountian trials & the battery still had 3/4 left... Tis an awesome bike :)

Reactions: RoRo

wobare

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 4, 2015
Bristol
hello,

I own this mens version of the Carrera Crssfilre E-bike since beginning of October. The battery indeed is 11ah. I had problem with mine (please check yours!) that the electric cable which runs from the batter/controller to the electric motor was guided in such way that was trapped between the kickstand and the brake disc. This caused that the cable was 'shaved off' by the rotating brake disc. The cable should be placed on the outside of the kickstand as shown on Halfords photos. The whole rear wheel had to be replaced.
Apart of that it is a very good bike. I use it to commute to work 9 miles each way and the battery lasts for 2 days and I still have approx 20% left.
One question. I have not got much paperwork with the bike for example there was no user guide related to the operation of the computer. Did you get this? For example I cannot figure out how to re-set the trip counter (distance and total distance). I've tried everything but still cannot set it to '0'. Any ideas?

Attachments

Last edited:

supersneak

Oct 20, 2015
hello,

I own this mens version of the Carrera Crssfilre E-bike since beginning of October. The battery indeed is 11ah. I had problem with mine (please check yours!) that the electric cable which runs from the batter/controller to the electric motor was guided in such way that was trapped between the kickstand and the brake disc. This caused that the cable was 'shaved off' by the rotating brake disc. The cable should be placed on the outside of the kickstand as shown on Halfords photos. The whole back wheel had to be replaced.
Apart of that it is a very good bike. I use it to commute to work 9 miles each way and the battery lasts for 2 days and I still have approx 20% left.
One question. I have not got much paperwork with the bike for example there was no user guide related to the operation of the computer. Did you get this? For example I cannot figure out how to re-set the trip counter (distance and total distance). I've tried everything but still cannot set it to '0'. Ayy ideas?
The electronics are by Suntour, this is a link for the user manual, but it appears to be for the front wheel motor. I would have thought that the programming was the same.

http://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/service/download-area/consumer-downloads/e-bike/owners-manuals/2014/

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
One question. I have not got much paperwork with the bike for example there was no user guide related to the operation of the computer.
Then it isn't EN 15194 compliant!

Full documentation is obligatory to be EN 15194

wobare

Dec 4, 2015
Bristol
The electronics are by Suntour, this is a link for the user manual, but it appears to be for the front wheel motor. I would have thought that the programming was the same.

http://www.srsuntour-cycling.com/service/download-area/consumer-downloads/e-bike/owners-manuals/2014/
Hello, Thanks for that. This manual is for the 2014 model. The one installed in the Carrera Crossfire e-bike is (i guess) 2015 one and it is slightly different. I tried to re - set the computer using the guide from this instruction but it did not work.

wobare

Dec 4, 2015
Bristol
Then it isn't EN 15194 compliant!

Full documentation is obligatory to be EN 15194
You right. I spoke to technicians at Halfords but they did not know either. I guess that when they unpacked the bike from the box they did not take out the documentation in full or they could misplaced part of it. Not sure. I left my number with them as they said that they will find out and call me back once they unpack another bike of that type. They did not call me. Probably they forgot about it once I left the shop:-(
Anyway if anyone who owns the bike is here and can advise this would be appraciated.

ebike101

Dec 7, 2015
Hi. I recently picked up a crossfire-e and love it. I do a 20 round trip to work and it makes the journey much more pleasurable (no more sweaty, sardine-like commutes). Although I think the 25.5kph cut off is a bit low and this would better around 30kph. Wobare, the instruction manual says to press -&i together for 0.5 seconds but that didn't work for me but pressing -&+ for 0.5 seconds did. I wonder if my controller is faulty? Does anyone else have this issue? Also, would anyone know if it is possible to change the display from Kmh to mph? I will post a pdf version of the manual.

Last edited:

wobare

Dec 4, 2015
Bristol
ebike101 thanks for the manual. It helped me understand a few things. For example why the background lighting of the display is sometimes brighter and sometimes dimmer:).
I can say that I could not re-set the trip distance by pressing the combinations as per manual. I did exactly what you did (-&+) and it worked. So I guess there must be something with the different software.
I am not sure whether it is possible to change the display to mph. In the manual they only mention kmh.
I too have feeling that it would be better if the power cut off at 30kph although I have to say that mine cuts at 27.5 kph (according to bike's speedometer).
The manual states that the battery should be discharged every 3 months, would be good to have it done by the charger. I tried to discharge the battery once by continous cycling aroud the house and it is a pain beacuse once the battery is 5% or less the power is reduced so it takes ages (i got as low as 1% and gave up).
I am surprised that the manual does not mention that pressing the button on the battery may show ifo such as capacity of the battery, how many time it was charged etc, I read about this in the manual for 2014 model available on the Suntour but it works also on this battery.

There is a mystery drawing in the manual on page 9 showing battery indicator with one light on and one flashing (0.5s ON/0.5s OFF) - any idea whai is this for?

Generally I am happy with this bike particularly beacuse it has got a good range on one charge and beacuse it appears to be asimple bike. Hopefully it will be reliable (I only did just over 200 miles on it).

ebike101

Dec 7, 2015
I'm afraid I don't know about the mystery drawing on page 9. Strange that there is no description.

wobare

Dec 4, 2015
Bristol
Hi, any of you, owners of Carrera Crossfire E-bike get this problem that the electrical support switches itself off randomly?

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
local Halfords Watford had one in stock nice looking bike very neat insterlation,
but no info on battery at all on attached card, weight given as 23k
I think they may be changing there ebike range Halfords borhamwood herts had ebco ucr 30 couple of weeks back £600 last one.

-Bucks-

Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2016
North Yorkshire, U.K.
Hi, we are looking to purchase a e-bike to help with towing our disabled daughter in a Wike Special Needs Trailer as it is getting too much like hard work for me now We are considering this Carera Crosfire-E! Do you recon it will be suitable & have the power to help in towing the trailer?

Mariusz

Apr 17, 2016
To Wobare
I have the same problem although it is not happen every time Im cycling.
The assistance motor cuts out and I have to disconnect battery and switch the power back on to continue.It was more common until Halfords replaced the controller.Now it happens once every 100 kms but still.
I went back and they are planning to replace the loom.Im not sure it is going to cure it. Id rather have the bike replaced but I suspect it's against their policy.My bike has been affected by this problem since new and I took it back on the second day.They have very little experience with e bikes.

Also trip counter cannot be reset but that is typical of these bikes as I have tried in various Halfords shops -neither bike could be reset.

Mariusz

Apr 17, 2016
Only today I have found out that in order to reset the trip computer one has to press plus and minus together and that is not what the manual is saying.

Reactions: LeighPing

Leccy

Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2013
Ordered this bike yesterday. Out of stock at the moment but due in at the end of the month. Will do a review post once I've had it for a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk