Thoughts on my new ebike - crank-drive vs hub-motor - review of TSDZ02 48v

harrys

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 1, 2016
Chicago, USA
My ebike conversions include a BBS02B, a hub motor in a 20" folder frame, and a TSDZ2 in a old 10 speed frame. I've since changed the BBS02 (3rd pic) to a Hailong downtube battery.

P1170631.JPG IMG_2657.JPEG BBS02_2.jpg

This year, half my miles are on the Raleigh with the TSDZ2, a quarter are on the folder and the BBS02 is near the bottom. The latter is a fast bike, with a BBS02B that can pull 25 amps. It's not too bad on pedal assist. Set up for 9 levels, PAS 1 will cover my speeds of 12-15 mph on the flat, and PAS 2 will keep my cadence on hills. There's always throttle too. It probably needs some good Schwalbe tires, but the bike just feels heavy.

The yellow folder has a 310 rpm AKM100H in the rear, with 25A KT controller and either 36V or 48V. With all the rear weight bias, it's lifted the front wheel and surprised me (and others) on hills, and on hard starts. The gearing, tires, etc all make for effortless riding ion PAS 1. I might go to PAS 2 if it;s windy. My wife has a matching folder, and they're great for transport. Fun for a lazy slow ride. I was told I'd melt the AKM with 25A, but this is an old geezer riding this bike.

Why am I riding the torque sensor wheezer so much. It maxes out at 11-12A, half the instantaneous power of the other two. It's also effortless pedalling. The mixte frame soaks up the bumps, which are also mitigated by the 27" tires. It rolls quite well, and the result is again effortless pedalling. I put on Shimano Ultegra rin calipers which cost me more than the donor bike, so it stops well given my modest speeds, Rarely exceed 18 mph, I rarely get past the first assist level (Eco). I've learned o stay in higher gears and spin faster.

Like Peter said, I want my ebikes to feel like bikibg when I was younger. The TSDZ2 does a better job of that. Some of it is the bike frame, tires, etc, but I don't think it would feel the same with a BBS02 and would be a lot different with a hub motor.

Reactions: Woosh and Az.

it is i footpump

Pedelecer
Jul 6, 2018
hello all , not been on the forum for quite a while i have bosch ktm 50nm.
halfords carrera tdz02 60nm and older kudos mtb with yose power 250 hub moter.
i always wanted a bit more power ,i tried a 70nm emtb a while back but was 3k.
2 friends have bought nice hardly used ebikes ktm and haibike battery in frame etc.
2 other have bought cube with bosch moters big batteries 750w 85nm but 3 k +
really nice bikes,
but out of my price range,and would worry about theft if ever left untended (2 ebikes stolen recently expensive bikes)
having just read this thread ,have taken the plunge for bbs01 48v 250 and dpc18 display, as sugested by saneagles reply.
i already have a hardly used 48v downtube battery, and if this kit is (80nm?) and speed sensor rather than ts on tdz and ktm .

my only quibble is do i fit bafang to the carrera tdz or purchase a nother doner bike.

thank you all

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
my only quibble is do i fit bafang to the carrera tdz or purchase a nother doner bike.
Can you post a link to Carrera TDZ? Or you meant Carrera with TSDZ2 motor?

Shame you didn't ask before buying. Woosh has more powerful motors for sale than BBS01

Last edited:

it is i footpump

Pedelecer
Jul 6, 2018
thanks az i have the older first generation tdz2, fitted to halfords carrera, but moter is rather noisy now, a while back got caught in a thunderstorm 3 miles from home, the moter bearings must have had water ingress, sent moter to woosh to replace said bearings.
was not aware woosh was selling newer tdz vertions.

i am now 75 ,problems with right leg aching due to vascular issues.
would love a new cube katmandu or simular, but cant afford one.
i might just swop over the tdz for bafang as i have a hardly used 48v 13ah downtube battery.
i did purchase the programming lead from the usa a while back for the tdz but could not find out how to download the software file.
thank you
ps does woosh programe tdzs

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Your question is very personal and nobody here can answer it except you. Buy bike you like or replace motor you have. Your choice, not ours.

I would recommend step through and TSDZ8 or TSDZ2B from Woosh. Both are more powerful than they look.

There are many Carrera and Cube Katmandu bikes, so we don't know what you like.

Bike from my avatar. Cost around £800

I think it would be better if you opened new thread with pictures of what you have and links to bikes you like.

Last edited: