Thoughts on the Agattu prop stand

tgame

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2007
Felixstowe
www.axst45.dsl.pipex.com
My Agattu was delivered with a faulty prop stand, and although 50 cycles immediately sent me a new one I remained slightly dubious about the very obvious strain which it placed on both the frame and the prop. Now several others have suffered from broken prop stands, and my worries have increased. I have thought of all sorts of ways round the problem, but nothing appeared to be easy. Eventually I wondered whether the angle of lean needed to be quite as great as it is. I experimented with various blocks of wood under the foot, and came to the conclusion that raising it by 1 inch still left the angle of lean at a perfectly safe level whilst the strains on frame and prop arm were very obviously much less. No doubt someone could readily calculate these stresses, but my fourth form physics are too far away for me to do so, but it is trivially obvious that they are much less. Of course the bike can more easily fall over but in my opinion it is still perfectly safe. The sort of gale that would blow it over would mean that one would wish to lean the bike against something in any case, and the risk of careless people or hooligans pushing it over are as great whatever the angle of lean. I decided to make this modification.

I found the easiest way of doing it was to drill a hole through the centre of the foot and bolt on a round rubber doorstop which was readily available. This has worked perfectly well, and although it does not look quite as one would wish it to do I think it very little noticeable. I am sure others more technically able could devise a more satisfactory solution but mine does work and is cheap and I am very pleased to have done it.

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
My Agattu was delivered with a faulty prop stand, and although 50 cycles immediately sent me a new one I remained slightly dubious about the very obvious strain which it placed on both the frame and the prop. Now several others have suffered from broken prop stands, and my worries have increased. I have thought of all sorts of ways round the problem, but nothing appeared to be easy. Eventually I wondered whether the angle of lean needed to be quite as great as it is. I experimented with various blocks of wood under the foot, and came to the conclusion that raising it by 1 inch still left the angle of lean at a perfectly safe level whilst the strains on frame and prop arm were very obviously much less. No doubt someone could readily calculate these stresses, but my fourth form physics are too far away for me to do so, but it is trivially obvious that they are much less. Of course the bike can more easily fall over but in my opinion it is still perfectly safe. The sort of gale that would blow it over would mean that one would wish to lean the bike against something in any case, and the risk of careless people or hooligans pushing it over are as great whatever the angle of lean. I decided to make this modification.

I found the easiest way of doing it was to drill a hole through the centre of the foot and bolt on a round rubber doorstop which was readily available. This has worked perfectly well, and although it does not look quite as one would wish it to do I think it very little noticeable. I am sure others more technically able could devise a more satisfactory solution but mine does work and is cheap and I am very pleased to have done it.
Hi Tony,
Haven't heard from you for a while. Hope you are still enjoying the pleasures of the Agattu. I have just about completed a full month of commuting and the bike is an utter joy.

Is it serendipity or did you just read my last post?
bw
musicbooks

Erik

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2008
I haven't looked at my broken stand for some time, and don't have it here, but I know it's adjustable.

Is it already in the longest position when you get it?

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
mine is on its highest setting.

Erik

Pedelecer
Feb 20, 2008
mine is on its highest setting.
That's ambigous, shortest or longest is not.

If the plastic part sits higher = closer to the hinge, the stand is shortest.

If the plastic part sits further down the aluminium part = lower, the stand is longest, but the bike stands up higher.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
You cannot raise mine any Higher. It is at its longest setting. Yours may be different.

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's what I've did on one of my bikes Hal, again due to insufficient stand length. I agree about the Agattu stand, when I first saw it I thought the lean was too great, due to the longest stand being still too short with 28" wheels.

The Lafree with the Panasonic unit tended to have the same problem, and I think part of the trouble is that the lower A frame tubes sit well above the bottom bracket height on the Panasonic bikes, unlike on ordinary bikes where they are at the same level as the BB.

They really need stands with longer reach made exclusively for them.

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
That's what I've did on one of my bikes Hal, again due to insufficient stand length. I agree about the Agattu stand, when I first saw it I thought the lean was too great, due to the longest stand being still too short with 28" wheels.

The Lafree with the Panasonic unit tended to have the same problem, and I think part of the trouble is that the lower A frame tubes sit well above the bottom bracket height on the Panasonic bikes, unlike on ordinary bikes where they are at the same level as the BB.

I think I need something like that made exclusively to extend the reach of my short Scottish legs:D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think I need something like that made exclusively to extend the reach of my short Scottish legs:D
You and me both, but I hadn't realised it was my Scottish grandmother to blame for that inheritance.

tgame

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2007
Felixstowe
www.axst45.dsl.pipex.com
Hi Tony,
Haven't heard from you for a while. Hope you are still enjoying the pleasures of the Agattu. I have just about completed a full month of commuting and the bike is an utter joy.

Is it serendipity or did you just read my last post?
bw
musicbooks
Weird coincidence! I had only seen the couple of further breakages.

So glad you are enjoying your Agattu. I get more attached to mine every day that goes by. It has just the right amount of shove to avoid getting breathless while never making one feel one is simply being propelled. And of course the current weather is a joy.

tgame

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2007
Felixstowe
www.axst45.dsl.pipex.com

My little mod has the advantage of not making the arm stick out any further from the bike centre line which I find useful.

C

Cyclezee

You guys obviously didna eat yur porridge and haggis as my Scottish ancestors did:p My clan seem to have increased in stature from generation to generation apart from my 2 offspring who are slightly shorter. This probably all due to my wife's inferior English genes:rolleyes:

John:)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You guys obviously didna eat yur porridge and haggis as my Scottish ancestors did:p My clan seem to have increased in stature from generation to generation apart from my 2 offspring who are slightly shorter. This probably all due to my wife's inferior English genes:rolleyes:

John:)
I did John, but I as well as the 25% Scottish genes I have 50% Italian ones, notoriously short legged too. So we were all doomed! :D