Throttle hidden switch

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
I would tend to agree.

In particular a throttle seems to make for a more stable getway from stationary, you can keep both feet on the ground as you pull away.

Thumb throttles, I am not so sure about, I have knocked one of those a few times when you get off to push the cycle just before one of those 'Cyclists must dismount' signs.

And a full throttle, easy to forget about it, you lean bike against wall and off it goes.

Half throttles seem the safest to me.
I've been told those "cyclist dismount" signs have no legal basis behind them and so can be ignored - maybe someone can clarify.

Anyway, I prefer a thumb throttle as your hand soon gets tired with a twist throttle.

I don't think a thumb throttle is any worse than a pedal getting knocked and activating the PAS. Yes you can turn down the PAS sensitivity, but then it doesn't activate soon enough when you need it!

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
One thing I'd say about the Yose power 250W kit with a throttle (of the OP), is that I've had trouble finding a setting so that the throttle cuts out at 25 kph. Even though the speed setting on the LCD is limited to 25kph, the throttle seems to over ride that and take the bike to it's max possible speed. I've been through all the options, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

My throttle cuts out at 25km/h.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've been told those "cyclist dismount" signs have no legal basis behind them and so can be ignored - maybe someone can clarify.
Depends where the sign is. It it is a pedestrian crossing or legally another pedestrian only facility, the sign cannot be ignored since someone on a bicycle is not a pedestrian.

Here is a related legal ruling:

a rider either seated on a bike or with a foot on a pedal as in scooting is not a pedestrian, as ruled by Waller L J in the Court of Appeal, (Crank v Brooks [1980] RTR 441).

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Depends where the sign is. It it is a pedestrian crossing or legally another pedestrian only facility, the sign cannot be ignored since someone on a bicycle is not a pedestrian.

Here is a related legal ruling:

a rider either seated on a bike or with a foot on a pedal as in scooting is not a pedestrian, as ruled by Waller L J in the Court of Appeal, (Crank v Brooks [1980] RTR 441).

Here is where I got it from. Looks as if to be mandatory it also needs a bike in a red circle. Although, the police seem to have the leeway to fine you if ignore the sign and they are in a bad mood.

Where I used to ignore these signs was where a shared path crossed a road. If you could drive in the road, or even cycle along the road it made no sense to stop your bike, cross the road and then get back on again. It was by no means a major road.

Cadence

Pedelecer
Feb 23, 2023
One thing I'd say about the Yose power 250W kit with a throttle (of the OP), is that I've had trouble finding a setting so that the throttle cuts out at 25 kph. Even though the speed setting on the LCD is limited to 25kph, the throttle seems to over ride that and take the bike to it's max possible speed. I've been through all the options, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.
Interesting. I recently bought (March) a Yose 250w. rear hub kit and the throttle would only act as a "walk assist" (about 5mph) regardless of what I did to the throttle settings. I bought and subsituted a Yose 18amp controller that they supply with their 350w. kits. This enabled the throttle to run up to15.5mph, but the max top speed (15.5mph) remained the same. Reducing the max top speed also reduces the throttle by the same amoint.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks. I dont know if it is widespread or just here in London, but the emphasis appears to have changed in favour of cyclists now.

In all places where road works restrict space, contractors etc now display a warning sign to drivers containing the words, "Do not overtake cyclists", with no mention of cyclists needing to dismount. Seems more sensible.

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
To be honest I have no idea how to check it. I just plugged in throttle two years ago and didn't change anything.
To get into basic settings, press the "Set" button and hold until the display flashes. To get into advanced settings, press "Set" and the minus button for at least 10 sec. This allows you to tweak things like the current limit, set up the PAS sensor direction etc. The default current I think is only 14A. You can put this up a bit, to give your motor a bit more pep, but I wouldn't go beyond 20A max as it is a 15A controller. Here is the manual:

Attachments

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Interesting. I recently bought (March) a Yose 250w. rear hub kit and the throttle would only act as a "walk assist" (about 5mph) regardless of what I did to the throttle settings. I bought and subsituted a Yose 18amp controller that they supply with their 350w. kits. This enabled the throttle to run up to15.5mph, but the max top speed (15.5mph) remained the same. Reducing the max top speed also reduces the throttle by the same amoint.
That's interesting. I didn't realise you could buy the controller separately. This LCD will only work with Yose power controllers. I broke one of my 250W controllers in one of my kits, so the LCD is now useless as it is not a true KT compatible system. However, a 350W Yose controller may be able to take better advantage of the ability of the LCD unit to set the current of the controller.

Wayners

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 5, 2023
Gloucester
You need to get in settings then hold down certain buttons. Then do a different combination of buttons and there you will find a setting to increase top speed. Look up on YouTube. You can increase to 40mpm however, 18mph is top speed I can get. Made me laugh when display has such a high top speed but I guess its for other more powerful motors.
The original setting is 15.5mph.
Yose say it's fixed to 15.5mph but it's not if you know where to look.
I have the 250w kit.

Cadence

Pedelecer
Feb 23, 2023
Yes, I am well aware of the settings and do know where to look, thank you. I have a 250w. rear cassette kit:-
E-Bike Conversion Kit 36V 250W 26"/27.5"/ 28"(700C) Rear Motor Kit for (yosepower.com)
If you read the EU website listing you will see that it is restricted to 15.5mph and that cannot be changed. There is no option in the C500 display settings to change the speed. The throttle also cannot be changed from "walk-assist". I purchased and fitted another controller from Yose that they supply with their 350w. kits. This allowed the throttle to be changed, but not the top speed. I also have a 350w. rear freewheel kit on another bike and swapped over the C500 display. This has speed settings, but despite changing it the maximum speed remains at 15.5mph. I have come to the conclusion that there must be a max. speed limit in the motor itself. Not a problem for me particulary as I was more interested in throttle options than top speed. I can change the max speed on the 350w. kit if I want to, up to a maximum of 40Km/h (24.8mph not 40mph!).
It seems that the 250w. rear cassette kit I have is intended as a fully legal kit for the EU/UK market, although Yose don't make this clear - particularly on their UK website. Yours is a 250w. front kit, and I remember in a previous conversation (can't remember with who) that it does indeed have settings to change both max. speed and throttle but if you can only get yours up to 18mph maybe that motor is also restricted.
With a bit of hard pedalling I can get my 250w. up to 18mph, and with the 350w. I've had around 26mph on the flat - not something I want to try too often though!

Reactions: Wayners

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Yes, I am well aware of the settings and do know where to look, thank you. I have a 250w. rear cassette kit:-
E-Bike Conversion Kit 36V 250W 26"/27.5"/ 28"(700C) Rear Motor Kit for (yosepower.com)
If you read the EU website listing you will see that it is restricted to 15.5mph and that cannot be changed. There is no option in the C500 display settings to change the speed. The throttle also cannot be changed from "walk-assist". I purchased and fitted another controller from Yose that they supply with their 350w. kits. This allowed the throttle to be changed, but not the top speed. I also have a 350w. rear freewheel kit on another bike and swapped over the C500 display. This has speed settings, but despite changing it the maximum speed remains at 15.5mph. I have come to the conclusion that there must be a max. speed limit in the motor itself. Not a problem for me particulary as I was more interested in throttle options than top speed. I can change the max speed on the 350w. kit if I want to, up to a maximum of 40Km/h (24.8mph not 40mph!).
It seems that the 250w. rear cassette kit I have is intended as a fully legal kit for the EU/UK market, although Yose don't make this clear - particularly on their UK website. Yours is a 250w. front kit, and I remember in a previous conversation (can't remember with who) that it does indeed have settings to change both max. speed and throttle but if you can only get yours up to 18mph maybe that motor is also restricted.
With a bit of hard pedalling I can get my 250w. up to 18mph, and with the 350w. I've had around 26mph on the flat - not something I want to try too often though!

I've got 3 Yose power 250W front wheel kits, two for 26", one for 20" wheel size. They have the C500 LCD. It is no problem setting the max speed to higher than 15.5 mph. However, due to the way motors work - for a given voltage, they will only rotate so fast. For 36V nominal, this is about 19 mph. So although you can set the LCD to 25mph, Once you hit 19 mph, that's it, it won't go any faster unless you put in the effort.

Not sure why yours is limiting you to only 15.5 mph. How are you measuring the speed?

Cadence

Pedelecer
Feb 23, 2023
I've got 3 Yose power 250W front wheel kits, two for 26", one for 20" wheel size. They have the C500 LCD. It is no problem setting the max speed to higher than 15.5 mph. However, due to the way motors work - for a given voltage, they will only rotate so fast. For 36V nominal, this is about 19 mph. So although you can set the LCD to 25mph, Once you hit 19 mph, that's it, it won't go any faster unless you put in the effort.

Not sure why yours is limiting you to only 15.5 mph. How are you measuring the speed?
Take a look at the Yosepower EU website downloads:-
Download (yosepower.com)
There you will see two pdf's for the C500 display instructions.
One is " C500 display manual for 350W motor kits.pdf ". This has 4.1.2 Speed limit settings.
The other is "New C500 display manual for 250W motor kits". This does not have the 4.1.2 speed limit setting so it is not possible to change the speed from the maximum 15.5mph (4.1.2 is the wheel size setting in this version). This is how the display for my 250w. kit is - despite the printed instructions that came with it showing the speed setting!
I tried changing the controller to the one they supply with their 350w kit and swapping the C500 Display from my 350w. kit, and although I could now change the settings in the display the motor still cuts out 15.5mph.
I assume that as the 250w pdf says "new", max speed setting may have been possible with earlier kits.
I've checked my speeds with a GPS bike computer and they are accurate, give or take a small margin.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: WheezyRider

WheezyRider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 20, 2020
Take a look at the Yosepower EU website downloads:-
Download (yosepower.com)
There you will see two pdf's for the C500 display instructions.
One is " C500 display manual for 350W motor kits.pdf ". This has 4.1.2 Speed limit settings.
The other is "New C500 display manual for 250W motor kits". This does not have the 4.1.2 speed limit setting so it is not possible to change the speed from the maximum 15.5mph (4.1.2 is the wheel size setting in this version). This is how the display for my 250w. kit is - despite the printed instructions that came with it showing the speed setting!
I tried changing the controller to the one they supply with their 350w kit and swapping the C500 Display from my 350w. kit, and although I could now change the settings in the display the motor still cuts out 15.5mph.
I assume that as the 250w pdf says "new", max speed setting may have been possible with earlier kits.
I've checked my speeds with a GPS bike computer and they are accurate, give or take a small margin.

That's interesting to know. My Yose kits were bought around 18 months back. I'm glad now I didn't go for getting the spare rear hub controller recently. I doubt I'll be buying any more Yose kits if they are locked down like this and I'll stick to fully KT compatible systems.

Cadence

Pedelecer
Feb 23, 2023
That's interesting to know. My Yose kits were bought around 18 months back. I'm glad now I didn't go for getting the spare rear hub controller recently. I doubt I'll be buying any more Yose kits if they are locked down like this and I'll stick to fully KT compatible systems.
I'm fairly certain that the C500 display that Yose sell separately will include max speed settings as they don't specify different versions for different motors. If anybody has a 350w. they will expect the replacement to have the same speed setting option. The 350w. controller is a worthwhile upgrade for the 250w (more amps).
I've only used Yose kits with the Lishui controllers and display so I've no experience of the older KT versions. I read from others on here that they are better in terms of user settings, but I actually like the fact that The Lishui ones are easy to use out of the box and pretty idiot-proof - they must have had me in mind!:D
Seriously though, I'm not much into settings and just like to ride. If one of my controllers and displays pack up I might be tempted to replace with KT just to see what they are like. If I do I can almost guarrantee I'll be on here begging for help!