Throttle query

zoros

Pedelecer
May 15, 2019
My brother just bought 2 x Batribke Gamma X's. 100Nm motor!
OK - so I'm lost when it comes to the use of a throttle on this Ebike when it is a pedal assist ebike just like many others but it also allows the use of the throttle to ramp up the power.
The bike is still limited to 15mph together with all the other legal requirements that make it an E assist bike.
I can't see what the purpose/benefit of this throttle is?
The 'E' bit of the bike allows for 5 settings of "assistanc

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
It's really useful when you get a throttle that can instantly change the power. It sounds like a very good system.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
when ur 80 you might find it helpful at getting going ;)

zoros

Pedelecer
May 15, 2019
The throttle DOESN'T work withou pedal input (otherwise it would be a moped).
So I say again - what is the purpose of the throttle on a pedal assist ebike?
Thanks in advance
Z

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
Forgetting PAS for a minute the throttle on an ebike does essentially the same thing as a throttle on a motorbike, you twist it and you get power and bike moves, twist it more for more power, it really is that simple.

If your throttle only works when you use PAS then check the settings on your display, you will need to google to find the manual there should be a setting that you can change the parameter value so you use the throttle without PAS having to be being activated.

Are they really rated at 100Nm?

zoros

Pedelecer
May 15, 2019
If I am interpreting your response correctly - you are describing a moped!
If a throttle 'overrides' the pedal input, IE: twist the throttle (do not pedal) and away she goes - that is a moped and not a pedelec.
My brothers bike does NOT allow the bike to be propelled fwd with throttle only, the throttle ONLY works if he/she is pedalling.

So I see a conflict here....the pedal input causes the electrics to assist. Alternatively - IF you are pedalling, the throttle also works to assist???
What exactly is happening here?
Z

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
So I see a conflict here....the pedal input causes the electrics to assist. Alternatively - IF you are pedalling, the throttle also works to assist???
Z
In most cases the pedelec law is being broken, that is what is happening.

In practical terms, some find a throttle useful when needing to manouvre slowly between traffic.

Others with torque sensing pedelecs and not able to put in much pedal shove, find it useful to have maximum power to get away from a standstill, especially on an up slope.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
If I am interpreting your response correctly - you are describing a moped!
If a throttle 'overrides' the pedal input, IE: twist the throttle (do not pedal) and away she goes - that is a moped and not a pedelec.
My brothers bike does NOT allow the bike to be propelled fwd with throttle only, the throttle ONLY works if he/she is pedalling.

Z
No, either way, you must pedal to get power. The control panel fixes the power or speed at a set level. The throttle overrides that to give an instant change in power, like you need when you go up a short steep hill, need to quickly accelerate to beat some traffic, etc.

Most people don't want to ride around on full power all the time, so they set a low level in the control panel. When, suddenly, they need more power temporarily, they can get it instantly and easily with the throttle. It takes a lot of button pressing to use the control panel to get max power temporarily, and it takes too long to be able to get it instantly when you need it.

Last edited:

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
No, either way, you must pedal to get power.
Not on my ebike, I can disconnect PAS sensor and still use throttle.

As touched on having a throttle makes the bike safer as I can get a fast start from lights on busy main roads and also have power available if I need to get out of a situation.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Not on my ebike, I can disconnect PAS sensor and still use throttle.

As touched on having a throttle makes the bike safer as I can get a fast start from lights on busy main roads and also have power available if I need to get out of a situation.
Thata's your bike, not a Batribike! Zoros has a Batribike Gamma and is asking what's the purpose is of the throttle if it only works when pedalling and when the bike is already getting power from the pedal sensor. The answe is it's a different amount of power that can be switched on immediately.

Reactions: portals

zoros

Pedelecer
May 15, 2019
Excellent feedback - much appreciated.
But isn't it a very grey area here? Pedelec Vs Moped for that instant you need more power?
Z

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Excellent feedback - much appreciated.
But isn't it a very grey area here? Pedelec Vs Moped for that instant you need more power?
Z
No, you're misunderstanding. Whether you use the throttle or PAS, you only get power when you're pedalling. The two devices only determine how much power or speed you get up to 15.5 mph. The whole purpose of an ebike is give more power than what comes from your pedalling. If it doesn't do that, you don't need a battery nor motor.

Newt

Just Joined
Dec 4, 2020
We have a Batribike Gamma in our workshop right now with a faulty pedal sensor. We have disconnected it and the throttle still turns the motor. Isn't the throttle's purpose to provide walk assist? It certainly doesn't turn the motor very fast

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
We have a Batribike Gamma in our workshop right now with a faulty pedal sensor. We have disconnected it and the throttle still turns the motor. Isn't the throttle's purpose to provide walk assist? It certainly doesn't turn the motor very fast
The throttle is just a sensor. When you turn it, it gives a signal between 1v and 4v. The controller sees that signal and will do things depending on the way it's programmed and set. Those things might be: Nothing; proportional speed up to 4 mph; proportional speed up to maximum without pedalling; proportional speed up to maximum only with pedalling; any combination of those. The pedal sensor sends a pulsing 5v signal to the controller. When the controller gets the pulse signal, it does things depending on the way it's programmed and set.

Did you look at your one's settings to see how it's set?