throttle

djbob

Pedelecer
May 12, 2021
hi i have just per chest a 20in hygge e bike but it comes with out throttle i have had a look to see if there a connection for one but i cant see one i have asked the dealers but they wont help due to the laws . have i got to buy a new controller in order to get throttle if so can some one show me the best one for the bike witch is 250.w 36.v ? thank you

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
My only questions are do you want to flaunt the law and why

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The op can have a throttle as long as it is a pedal first option throttle or a 6kmh twist and go /walk assist mode. The pedal first option removes the twist and go legality, UK law only states one can't have a twist and go though walk assist is allowed.

One will need to buy a KT 6 mosfet 36/48 dual voltage controller and a new display so both are 100% compatible , one also may need to carry out some minor wiring alterations.
We need first to see some pics of the wiring from the controller with the connections nicely laid out, this will tell us which connections you are using and also tell us if your motor is sensored or not.

Typically if you buy the stuff from china shops it will be about £70 - £90 for parts , if buying from the UK expect it to be at least over £100 /£120.

If one isn't up for changing wires or soldering then one can buy complete KT electric replacement kits that include everything so it becomes plug and play, one replaces the PAS ring/sensor , brakes , throttle, controller and display cost is the upper cost I have shown of £90.

With dipslays for KT one chooses to have display and seperate thumb throttle or one can have an integrated display with throttle attached these can be rhs or LHS throttle. For neatness an integrated is best but for relaibility and cost seperates are best in case of failure.

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
If all you want is a push-button throttle that gives you power at the press of a button, you can use one of these and any push switch you want:

The pedal sensor has three wires, which are red (5v), black (0v) and the signal wire that pulses when you pedal.

Splice two wires to the red and black. The wire that you spliced goes to the switch and the other side of the switch goes to Vin+. the wire you spliced to the black goes to Vin-.

Switch on the bike and either hold the brake if you have brake cut-offs to disable the motor or lift the wheel off the ground. Press the switch to switch on and light up the device, then use the buttons to set the pulse frequency to around 12. It might work with any frequency, but best to turn it right down because your controller expects around 8 - 12 pulses per second.

Now, whenever you press the button, the device will put however many pulses per second you set it to into the pedal sensor connection, the same as what you get when you pedal. The speed and power you get will be the same as whatever you set the pedal assist to on your main LCD/LED control panel. Your pedal sensor will still work the same as it did before. Whenever you want a rest from pedalling, press the button.

Switch. Wire to the green horn button:

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
hi i have just per chest a 20in hygge e bike but it comes with out throttle i have had a look to see if there a connection for one but i cant see one i have asked the dealers but they wont help due to the laws . have i got to buy a new controller in order to get throttle if so can some one show me the best one for the bike witch is 250.w 36.v ? thank you
You don't say which of the several 20" wheeled hygge bikes you've bought... but why can't you just use the throttle hygge themselves sell here?

djbob

Pedelecer
May 12, 2021
The op can have a throttle as long as it is a pedal first option throttle or a 6kmh twist and go /walk assist mode. The pedal first option removes the twist and go legality, UK law only states one can't have a twist and go though walk assist is allowed.

One will need to buy a KT 6 mosfet 36/48 dual voltage controller and a new display so both are 100% compatible , one also may need to carry out some minor wiring alterations.
We need first to see some pics of the wiring from the controller with the connections nicely laid out, this will tell us which connections you are using and also tell us if your motor is sensored or not.

Typically if you buy the stuff from china shops it will be about £70 - £90 for parts , if buying from the UK expect it to be at least over £100 /£120.

If one isn't up for changing wires or soldering then one can buy complete KT electric replacement kits that include everything so it becomes plug and play, one replaces the PAS ring/sensor , brakes , throttle, controller and display cost is the upper cost I have shown of £90.

With dipslays for KT one chooses to have display and seperate thumb throttle or one can have an integrated display with throttle attached these can be rhs or LHS throttle. For neatness an integrated is best but for relaibility and cost seperates are best in case of failure.
sorry it a water proof connections front and rear the coulars are x2 red breaks green lcd screen yellow ligt i can take a pick of controller ?

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
this is the one i have ?
I don't really understand your issue... Hygge will sell you a throttle for their bikes for £39.95. The only caveat is you need to sign a liability disclaimer if you order one. From Hygge's website:

djbob

Pedelecer
May 12, 2021
I don't really understand your issue... Hygge will sell you a throttle for their bikes for £39.95. The only caveat is you need to sign a liability disclaimer if you order one. From Hygge's website:

View attachment 55923
i no they will ? but my issue is there is no way to connect it ive looked and there nothing to connect to .

jokskot

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2018
See posts 100 to 102 in the following thread which may assist you:

djbob

Pedelecer
May 12, 2021
thanks every one for your reply's but unfortunately there is no were what so ever i can connect a thumb throttle the only collars i have witch are water proof connects two red one green and one orange which i no is the collars for a throttle but it only for the front light i have plugged it in that connection but nothing . so im guessing i will have to perches a new controller with screen ? could some one recommend one for me pls . this is the bike 250.w 36.v

Attachments

RollingChunder

Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2023
If all you want is a push-button throttle that gives you power at the press of a button, you can use one of these and any push switch you want:

The pedal sensor has three wires, which are red (5v), black (0v) and the signal wire that pulses when you pedal.

Splice two wires to the red and black. The wire that you spliced goes to the switch and the other side of the switch goes to Vin+. the wire you spliced to the black goes to Vin-.

Switch on the bike and either hold the brake if you have brake cut-offs to disable the motor or lift the wheel off the ground. Press the switch to switch on and light up the device, then use the buttons to set the pulse frequency to around 12. It might work with any frequency, but best to turn it right down because your controller expects around 8 - 12 pulses per second.

Now, whenever you press the button, the device will put however many pulses per second you set it to into the pedal sensor connection, the same as what you get when you pedal. The speed and power you get will be the same as whatever you set the pedal assist to on your main LCD/LED control panel. Your pedal sensor will still work the same as it did before. Whenever you want a rest from pedalling, press the button.

Switch. Wire to the green horn button:
Very knowledgeable, I hadn't considered tapping into PAS.

cyclebuddy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 2, 2016
Beds & Norfolk
i no they will ? but my issue is there is no way to connect it ive looked and there nothing to connect to .
If Hygge say there is a way and even offer/can sell you the throttle, there must be a way even if you can't see it. To me it'd seem the plug is either buried in those cable wraps, or it comes with a long lead/extension to run back to the controller and plugs directly in there.

Why don't you call Hygge directly or ask them via their website support page? It's going to be a lot less of a headache and cost asking them rather than attempting to change out your controller, display, maybe wiring etc which might introduce other issues (your integrated lighting for example). Hygge's own throttle isn't a thumb throttle as you've been trying, so whatever it is you've been trying may be wired differently (as Fiido do with throttles on their bikes).

IMHO asking Hygge would be the simplest way forward, because I doubt any alternative is likely to be as simple as you seem to be hoping.

djbob

Pedelecer
May 12, 2021
thank you for your reply but the company are going to send new leads as the wrong ones have bin put on they should two yellows one male and a female but it the female is the one missing . so all sorted now thank you .