Throttles allowed?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
When I'm out and about doing my bike repairs I hear a lot of interesting stories. The latest one goes something like this.

A large pizza chain wants to buy a very large number of ebikes for pizza deliveries. A known ebike supplier comes up with a proposal and explains the restrictions on throttles. The pizza company is adamant that they want throttles, so the ebike supplier writes to some government office and gets dispensation to supply bikes with throttles on the basis that it's much cleaner for the cities to use electric vehicles, and without throttles, the pizza company would have to use the alternative petrol scooters. The guy that told me thought that the ebikes were license exempt ones.

I have some more details regarding who was involved, but I don't think it's right to bring a private deal into public view. Has anybody else heard any more of the story?

Reactions: LeighPing

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
The pizza company could use more powerful ebikes with throttles, and license and insure them appropriately. They would have to do that anyway with petrol scooters.

anon4

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2017
GB
When I was down London I saw a number of rickshaw type things with big front hubs on them that were likely to be "illegal". They didn't have licence plates or anything like that, so it's either blind eye or they have sought special permission, probably the former tbh. Police don't seem interested in non conforming ebikes yet as noone is causing a nuisance with them. They are silent and most users are responsible, when this changes we might see a crackdown

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
When I was down London I saw a number of rickshaw type things with big front hubs on them that were likely to be "illegal". They didn't have licence plates or anything like that, so it's either blind eye or they have sought special permission, probably the former tbh. Police don't seem interested in non conforming ebikes yet as noone is causing a nuisance with them. They are silent and most users are responsible, when this changes we might see a crackdown
There was and still is a massive crackdown on illegal pedicabs in London. Those ones that you saw most likely met the minimum legal requirements.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing and flecc

jokskot

Pedelecer
Jul 14, 2018
"As of a couple of weeks ago it has become legal to put a throttle onto an ebike. Type approval costs £55.00, we can arrange if anyone is interested in a Wisper with full throttle. "

Does this mean a supplier/manufacturer would pay for approval of the first item and all subsequent sales would piggy-back this initial approval, so that the cost (possibly prohibitive if it would apply to each bike fitted with a throttle) could be spread?
Isn't a "walking/pushing" throttle at up to 6km/h already permitted under EU regulations?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As of a couple of weeks ago it has become legal to put a throttle onto an ebike. Type approval costs £55.00, we can arrange if anyone is interested in a Wisper with full throttle.

All the best, David
Can you give some clarification David?

£55 is the test fee for LIe-A type approval, and if it's that 15.5 mph low powered moped type, it needs registration, number plate, insurance and a group Q driving licence minimum.

Geoff Sleath

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 21, 2019
The Cyclotricity front wheel 250 watt conversion kits come with a throttle. I've converted 4 bikes over the past 18 months or so for me, my wife and a couple of friends and all come with a throttle. My wife uses hers just to set off; I never used mine except as an experiment. We're all ageing (70++) very experienced cyclist who are using the electric push to help us to get up our Derbyshire hills (which I swear are steeper than they used to be) so we want to pedal as hard as possible and pedal assist is perfect for us.

I certainly think a throttle should be very limited in its use and shouldn't allow for unlicensed motor cycles (and I like motor cycles). There's nothing stopping a pizza delivery person from riding a pedal assist eBike.

There is a walking/pushing option on our bikes but walking at 6km/h is more like a trot! I'm not a slow walker but if I'm anywhere where I want to walk with my bike then 3km/h would be more appropriate (eg round a shopping area)

Geoff

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
When I was down London I saw a number of rickshaw type things with big front hubs on them that were likely to be "illegal".
These were probably the Heinzmann hub motor which usually are legal and a popular choice for cargo trikes and pedicabs since they are high torque. They are much larger diameter than our regular Bafang hub motors.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Maybe they were older bikes that had 'Grandfather rights' relating to full speed throttles being allowed? :)
According to the story, the order was for a very substantial number of new bikes and the permission was given by an official government department, and they kept their exemption as pedelecs.

• Informative

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Can you give some clarification David?

£55 is the test fee for LIe-A type approval, and if it's that 15.5 mph low powered moped type, it needs registration, number plate, insurance and a group Q driving licence minimum.
Hi Tony, sorry it took a while to get back to you on this point, it's been frantic here since the demise of FreeGo!....

The new class for Twist & Go EAPCs is called "250W LPM", a sub-category of the standard "Low Powered Moped", which is the category which T&G EAPCs fell into before.

The new edition of the test manual reduces the requirements somewhat for this new sub-category. For example, a kickstand is still required, but it does not have to auto-retract. Moped-like mirrors are now not required, etc., etc.

This is the advice from the BAGB.

The Motorcycle Single Vehicle Approval test now includes a sub-category for "Twist and go" electric bikes, which require type approval before sale but which can otherwise be used like other 'normal' e-bikes. Fewer modifications will now be needed for these machines to pass the test and gain type approval. The MSVA test costs £55 per individual vehicle.

Each individual bike must pass the Motorcycle Single Vehicle Approval (MSVA) test. This provides UK-specific type approval (i.e. it is not valid in other EU countries).

We are currently working on TA for five bikes, I will let you know how it goes.

This is particularly important to us as the new 48V 100Nm Wisper Wayfarer range with centre motor, to be officially launched later this year will hopefully be available with a full throttle.

All the best, David

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
[QUOTE="Wisper Bikes, post: 488358, member: 181"
The new class for Twist & Go EAPCs is called "250W LPM", a sub-category of the standard "Low Powered Moped", which is the category which T&G EAPCs fell into before.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the full information David, I rather thought this might be the case but didn't want to quote without confirmation.

Thankfully it now provides throttles once again on manufactured pedelecs and gives an advantage in some respects to our UK suppliers like yourselves, since Oriental suppliers will still be tending to supply in conformity with EU law.

I wonder if home builds will be able to take advantage, since SVA's can apply to them too. I would think so.

I look forward to seeing that new Wayfarer, it sounds exciting and would be ideal for many of the slightly disabled.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
The words in the last two posts still don't make it clear. Is a 250w LPM with throttle and Type approval an EAPC? In other words, are you confirming what I wrote in the OP?

If you're still reading, Mr Wisper, is that a 250W 48v 100 NM EAPC? I was chuckling at the thought!

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi vfr!

I don’t think there was a special dispensation to allow EAPCs with a full throttle without TA.

The new Wayfarer range makes me smile too. They will be superb!

All the best, David

Last edited:
  • Offensive Language
Reactions: vfr400

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The words in the last two posts still don't make it clear. Is a 250w LPM with throttle and Type approval an EAPC?
Yes. it is an EAPC and not a motor vehicle. Below is an extract of a reply received from James Brown, International Vehicle Standards section of the DfT:

Although ‘Twist and Go’ cycles will require Type Approval according to the dates in EU 168/2013 the decision has been taken that cycles that have ‘Twist and Go’ capabilities up to 15.5 mph will not be considered as motor vehicles and therefore will not require registration, tax, insurance and rider licensing. Any cycle with ‘Twist and Go’ capability above this speed will be classed as a motor vehicle.​

Of course the rest of the EAPC conditions must be met, such as rated power of 250 watts and minimum riding age of 14 years.

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Question still not answered. I'll try again.

Is a 25 km/h 250w bike with pedals and a throttle and type approval an EAPC?

The bikes referred to in the OP had type approval as far as I was told.

Sorry Flecc, you ninja'd my post. Thanks for clarification.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Question still not answered. I'll try again.

Is a 25 km/h 250w bike with pedals and a throttle and type approval an EAPC?

The bikes referred to in the OP had type approval as far as I was told.

Sorry Flecc, you ninja'd my post. Thanks for clarification.
Yes.