Through Axle Kit - Maxon - others?

KenR

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 11, 2020
I came across this online: https://www.maxonbikedrive.com/en/home They offer a UK legal 250w motor rear wheel motor kit with a through axle adaptor.
Questions
1. Has anyone got any experience of this kit?
2. Does anyone know of any other 250w hub motor kits which will fit through axle bikes?
3. The Maxon kit is a rear wheel kit, does anyone know of a 250w motor front wheel kit which will fit 100mm x 12mm spacing?
4. And the impossible. Is there a through axle motor rear wheel kit out there which will accept a 12 speed SRAM axs cassette?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
At £1600 to £2000, I can think of a few nice ebikes that I'd rather buy.

Last edited:
Reactions: dwvl

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i doubt you can fit a 12spd eagle cassette to a hub motor just becose of the size of them.

DSC_0095_02.JPG

KenR

Oct 11, 2020
Maxon replied to me as follows:

a) Our motor delivers 500W and is as far as we know not legal in the UK and the EU.
b) SRAM 12x1 speed gear "can" be a problem. We have cases in which the cassette streaks on the motor housing. Our system is made for maximum 11 gear cassettes.
c) Due to point a) we only sell our system to dealers in Switzerland.

Shame because as far as I can see no one sells a 250w through axle motor.

It's a personal thing but I prefer to pay for quality parts for my bike. I would have been prepared to pay this price if it is a high quality product and exactly what I wanted. In the UK many electric bikes kits and parts are very low quality which is not the case in Europe. Maybe that is why we are so far behind them in take up of electric bikes.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
why not get a 250w bafang mid drive kit then you can have a 12spd cassette but if you are doing off road stuff then a hub motor is not the best option because of broken spokes and they dont work well on fs bikes.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

KenR

Oct 11, 2020
I love bafang and just might do that. The bike has an evo386 bottom bracket which has some reinforcing underneath it so the clearances are very tight for bafang. So I would need an eccentric bottom bracket from Fast or similar and then get some longer bolts. Sadly the Lekkie adaptor would not give anything like enough clearance. Then I would need an axle extender kit, the shortest I can find is 100mm which is 14mm longer than I need. If it all works it could be good, but if not a hub motor, if one were available for through axle, would be a lot easier. :):D

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
It's a personal thing but I prefer to pay for quality parts for my bike. I would have been prepared to pay this price if it is a high quality product and exactly what I wanted. In the UK many electric bikes kits and parts are very low quality which is not the case in Europe. Maybe that is why we are so far behind them in take up of electric bikes.
The reason that the UK lagged behind other countries in their take-up of electric bikes has nothing to do with quality.

Your average Chinese hub-motor will outlast and outperform most of those European offerings, and they're a lot easier to fix in the rare cases when they do need attention. To me, that means that they're quality products.

Many of the features that you get on expensive non-electric bikes become moot when you have an electric motor. 12 gears are completely unnecessary for a rear hub-motor. Low tech 9-speed is more than enough. If you ride in circumstances where you need one of those 12-speed setups, a rear hub-motor wouldn't be the best choice, regardless of the type of axle. For normal use, a though axle doesn't really bring any advantage unless you want to keep taking the wheel off to put the bike in your car or something like that. Even then, it probably isn't as easy as a non-electric bike. I can see a big torque arm on the brake side. How do you deal with that when removing the wheel? Also, that torque arm looks quite wide and the disc looks to be a long way away from the frame. How does that work?

Your average rear Chinese motor is near silent, light, powerful and durable. Why would you want anything else?

Some of us have been on this forum a long time. We've seen all sorts of fancy stuff come and go. It's great that people try these things. It's all a learning experience, but those that stick with their winning formula are still riding their bikes after many years. I spent more than £20,000 trying all these new things until I found ebiking nirvana 7 years ago. I go to the shows and try everything new, but nothing since then has tempted me away from what I have, even with my unlimited budget.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
if you want to do red or black tracks then get a mid drive ;)

• Agree
Reactions: Fordulike