Thumb Throttle for Ezee

BertYardbrush

Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2008
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
I want to change my ancient throttle only (i.e. non pedelec) Quando from twist throttle to thumb throttle. It is all too easy to accidentally twist the throttle whilst walking the bike, an alarming and potentially dangerous predicament.
I would like to call upon the wisdom and wealth of experience on this site to point me in the right direction.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't know of a suitable thumb throttle, but for other's info, it's a Hall sensor throttle.

Should anyone doubt the danger of an e-bike's power in this respect, I punched a hole in a door once when I accidentally twisted a Quando throttle, and the bike is capable of turning itself upside down with the speed of acceleration if the handlebars are hung onto.

Diesel City Tracker

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 20, 2008
Cambridgeshire PE7 1
Hi BertYardbrush, agree it's all too easy to accidently twist the throttle when walking the bike. How about adding an on/off switch into the throttle circuit, so when walking the bike you can turn the throttle off? Would save changing the twist throttle for a thumb throttle. I have one on my Powercycle - just have to remember to use it.
Rob:)

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I suppose I could remove one of the brake lever switches and make it into a manual on/off switch.

I'd also prefer a thumb throttle as the grips on the bike are not particularly shock absorbent.
you can change the grips and wear decent gloves as well.:)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There is already an on/off keyswitch on the Quando, the accidents only occur if that's left switched on when walking the bike.

Personally I've added the split throttle mod to mine which makes it both safer and easier on the hands when riding. The description of how to do this is on my Torq/Quando website here:

Split Throttle Modification

Last edited:

BertYardbrush

Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2008
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Job done!

Chopped throttle lever in half, didn't realise it's plastic all the way through.
A few twists of duct tape round the handlebar then jam the sawn off end back on.

Should have done it ages ago.

Next job is to get rid of band brake threads, re-spoke the motor on a 26" wheel, find an old bike and convert it!

jkirkebo

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2009
I suppose I could remove one of the brake lever switches and make it into a manual on/off switch.

I'd also prefer a thumb throttle as the grips on the bike are not particularly shock absorbent.
I changed the throttle on my Ezee Forza for a half throttle and installed a pedal sensor on the bottom bracket. I always pedal anyway, and since I have swapped the brakes for hydraulic ones, the pedal sensor does the job the brake cutouts normally do.