Time for a replacement Battery

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
Running out of juice after a pathetic 12.2 miles and having to push up the last hill, I realised it was time to replace my Feb 2015 36v LiFePO4 10Ah rear mounted battery. It was one of those book sized jobs with an alloy casing and a euro power socket. Don't see them any more. So considering a Haelong 13Ah which is 1kg lighter, 3cm longer, 2cm higher but a lot narrower. I have to have my saddle pretty high so no problem there. Just one thing. The Haelong has 3-4 different power settings accessed by push buttons.But I have a handlebar mounted controller on the bike which is wired up to the controller already. I assume I can just put the battery on max then at all time. Never sure if Amazon stuff is in the UK or coming from China. Don't want an unexpected cutoms bill!

Attachments

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Running out of juice after a pathetic 12.2 miles and having to push up the last hill, I realised it was time to replace my Feb 2015 36v LiFePO4 10Ah rear mounted battery. It was one of those book sized jobs with an alloy casing and a euro power socket. Don't see them any more. So considering a Haelong 13Ah which is 1kg lighter, 3cm longer, 2cm higher but a lot narrower. I have to have my saddle pretty high so no problem there. Just one thing. The Haelong has 3-4 different power settings accessed by push buttons.But I have a handlebar mounted controller on the bike which is wired up to the controller already. I assume I can just put the battery on max then at all time. Never sure if Amazon stuff is in the UK or coming from China. Don't want an unexpected cutoms bill!
There's no power setting on any battery. Batteries just provide power. All power regulation is done by the motor controller.

You can buy batteries from Ebay, Aliexpress, Amazon or wherever you want. They all come from China. amazon has the best returns procedure if anything goes wrong. When you buy from Ebay, you don't have to pay taxes as long as the seller is located in UK. Amazon stuff might cone from China, but Amazon sorts out any import procedures. Aliexpress is mainly direct from China, but sometimes they'll give you the opportunity to pay taxes up front, which saves additional costs from the courier.

Many forum members have bought 36v batteries from Yose Power's website. It would be difficult to beat Greenlance for 48v batteries. It's a shame they don't do 36v ones.

David989

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 19, 2023
There's no power setting on any battery. Batteries just provide power. All power regulation is done by the motor controller.

You can buy batteries from Ebay, Aliexpress, Amazon or wherever you want. They all come from China. amazon has the best returns procedure if anything goes wrong. When you buy from Ebay, you don't have to pay taxes as long as the seller is located in UK. Amazon stuff might cone from China, but Amazon sorts out any import procedures. Aliexpress is mainly direct from China, but sometimes they'll give you the opportunity to pay taxes up front, which saves additional costs from the courier.

Many forum members have bought 36v batteries from Yose Power's website. It would be difficult to beat Greenlance for 48v batteries. It's a shame they don't do 36v ones.
They actually just released the 36V 16AH and 36V 20AH.

I have decided to build my wife a bike at 36V 250W. The 36V 20AH battery has been great so far. We go for Sunday travels to the nearest parks.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
They actually just released the 36V 16AH and 36V 20AH.

I have decided to build my wife a bike at 36V 250W. The 36V 20AH battery has been great so far. We go for Sunday travels to the nearest parks.
Thanks. That must be new. It was only a few weeks ago that I last checked, and they only had 48v then unless my eyes are going weird. Anyway that's good news, and it makes the decision a lot easier.

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness

You are right of course. I rechecked the video on the website and realised it was for the state of charge. Found what I wanted from a UK supplier in Walsall then ground my teeth when 'Does not deliver to the Highlands' popped up when I ordered. Something we get far to often. Then I saw a German supplier, same model and price with no delivery restrictions. But then I remembered the wonder of Brexit and wondered how much I would be clobbered for Duty and carrier paperwork costs! It does cost more than the £138? top limit for exemption. Another thought. My last battery, nearly 9 years old, had LiFePO4 cells, umpteen recharges and no fires. Now they all seem to be Li-on. A little lighter, less recharges. It probably doesn't matter as I'll be well over 87 by the time the new battery is done!

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
You are right of course. I rechecked the video on the website and realised it was for the state of charge. Found what I wanted from a UK supplier in Walsall then ground my teeth when 'Does not deliver to the Highlands' popped up when I ordered. Something we get far to often. Then I saw a German supplier, same model and price with no delivery restrictions. But then I remembered the wonder of Brexit and wondered how much I would be clobbered for Duty and carrier paperwork costs! It does cost more than the £138? top limit for exemption. Another thought. My last battery, nearly 9 years old, had LiFePO4 cells, umpteen recharges and no fires. Now they all seem to be Li-on. A little lighter, less recharges. It probably doesn't matter as I'll be well over 87 by the time the new battery is done!
Greenlance batteries work, are extremely well priced, the guys there are very keen and helpful, and delivery is lightning fast. Why would you want to get one from anywhere else?

Charliefox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2015
Culloden Moor Inverness
Greenlance batteries work, are extremely well priced, the guys there are very keen and helpful, and delivery is lightning fast. Why would you want to get one from anywhere else?
You are correct here too. the cost per Watt Hour for their 36v 16Ah works out less than for another make of 36v 10Ah which doesn't specify Panasonic batteries inside. Do you know if the Hailong casing comes with a mounting plate. I sent an email to Greenlance about this but no reply yet. Probably all on holiday now till January.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
You are correct here too. the cost per Watt Hour for their 36v 16Ah works out less than for another make of 36v 10Ah which doesn't specify Panasonic batteries inside. Do you know if the Hailong casing comes with a mounting plate. I sent an email to Greenlance about this but no reply yet. Probably all on holiday now till January.
Yes, and a charger.

jh787

May 23, 2023
Do more powerful motors need higher amperage batteries to get the most out of them or will a 10ah battery perform the same as a 20ah battery? (won't last as long obviously)
If I don't need the range should I just get a lower amp battery and stick it on charge every night?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
What matters is the amps (current) a battery can deliver. If they are the same cells and just twice as many (in parallel), then the 20ah battery will be able to deliver twice the current of a 10ah battery. You can get high current 10ah batteries (better cells), but unlikely to be good for a powerful motor used at all powerfully. Battery specs often don't mention current delivery capability.

If you consistently draw too much current from a battery you will shorten its life. A battery that can only just cope will also have much more voltage sag; this can be an issue if the battery is already running low and you hit a steep hill.

Reactions: jh787

jh787

May 23, 2023
P
What matters is the amps (current) a battery can deliver. If they are the same cells and just twice as many (in parallel), then the 20ah battery will be able to deliver twice the current of a 10ah battery. You can get high current 10ah batteries (better cells), but unlikely to be good for a powerful motor used at all powerfully. Battery specs often don't mention current delivery capability.

If you consistently draw too much current from a battery you will shorten its life. A battery that can only just cope will also have much more voltage sag; this can be an issue if the battery is already running low and you hit a steep hill.
Thank you.
Makes sense.
Rack and 20AH it is.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Not only Amps matter. You can easily increase power by increasing voltage. 48V is maximum legal voltage in UK.

Yes, more powerful motors do require more amps and usually more volts. For those motors you need a battery and controller able to deliver both.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
20ah on a rear rack, one may notice some handling characteristics change.