Tingling hands

Summerlightning

Pedelecer
May 4, 2015
Basingstoke
Hi,
I wonder is anyone can help me?
I am the happy owner of a Woosh Big Bear which I have had for about a year and just passed 300 miles.
I am finding that on a long ride I get tingling sensation in my hands so bad that I thought my phone was vibrating when I held it.
It seems that the problem is that I grip the handlebars too tightly.
Wearing gloves helps a little but I would like to ask if anyone has any suggestions where I might get some soft handle bar grips to replace / go over current ones?
Or if anyone has any other suggestion other than don’t hold on so tight. :)

Many thanks

Chris

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Hi,
I wonder is anyone can help me?
I am the happy owner of a Woosh Big Bear which I have had for about a year and just passed 300 miles.
I am finding that on a long ride I get tingling sensation in my hands so bad that I thought my phone was vibrating when I held it.
It seems that the problem is that I grip the handlebars too tightly.
Wearing gloves helps a little but I would like to ask if anyone has any suggestions where I might get some soft handle bar grips to replace / go over current ones?
Or if anyone has any other suggestion other than don’t hold on so tight. :)

Many thanks

Chris
I get the same problem sometimes, and I have noticed that it only happens when I lean on my handlebars for too long. I think the circulation to the hands is getting restricted at the wrist.

I probably need to improve my riding posture.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Try first with the left side, the easy side. If it works for you, then you will need to replace the twist grip with a right hand thumb throttle, about £5.
The most comfortable grips I've used are made by Ergon.
The Ergon GP1 are not too expensive (the large size ones):

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ergon-gp1-grips/rp-prod9686?gs=1

Emo Rider

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 10, 2014
Cycling rigormortis, as it is know as, affects a lot of riders including myself. Cures involve adjusting your bike's handle bars and seat to provide a more upright riding position (may also require a different styed handlebar), Fitting a riser on the headset and or better ergo grips. Also, something as simple as fitting a set of bar ends so you can varry your grip will help as well.

electrickery

Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2015
fife scotland
I had same problem..fitting similar to the second link of trex really helped.I also fitted a long adjustable stem.. really good for improving riding position .

Reactions: Emo Rider
D

Deleted member 4366

Yes. It can be a real problem. I don't get it so much on my electric MTB now, but I get it bad on my road bike. Two things: riding position and clothing. The nerves are getting pinched somewhere. I guess it can come from either or both. I had a particular motorbike jacket that fitted fine, but it always made my hands go to sleep. I didn't get that with my other ones.

Whatever the cause, there's a work-around. Every 10 minutes or so, take a hand off the handlebars and hang it by your side for about 30 secs, then do the other side. Don't wait until your hands become numb, because it'll come again sooner after you've done this. You'll see what I mean.

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I never thought I would get that excited by a pair of handlebar grips, but I've ordered the Ergon GP1's suggested by trex.

Looking forward to receiving these, fitting and trying them out. Will post a review, once I've tried them out for a few weeks.

Big thanks to trex :)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I had numbness /tingling in the thumbs and the fleshy tissue around them and remedied the situation by fitting bar ends, no more numbness and gives me an alterantive hold position.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
What bar ends can be fitted and still use a Mirrcyle mirror? A lot of bar ends just look like bare metal tube, a bit cold in winter? I'm looking for some sculpted ones I can use with the mirror.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Thanks Flecc. I see your bars are as crowded as mine. I fear those wouldn't work for me as my bars get thicker towards the middle.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I never thought I would get that excited by a pair of handlebar grips, but I've ordered the Ergon GP1's suggested by trex.

Looking forward to receiving these, fitting and trying them out. Will post a review, once I've tried them out for a few weeks.
They are very good, I also rarely ride with my thumbs wrapped around the grips, I've never had aching hands with them.

Reactions: Fordulike