to buy or not to buy?!

neilhapgood

Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2020
Hi all,

I converted a bike using the tongsheng and it was amazing, did what I needed to do which was allow me to cycle 7.5m to the beach with a trailer full of equipment.

However my parents came to visit on the weekend on my step dad tried it couldn't believe it, he thought his cycling days were years behind him so he has taken it home!

I was planning on ordering another motor and battery immediately and converting another one for me now, however just before I hit buy on paypal I thought is it worth waiting until next year, a few factors at play:

1 - I won't use it much at all over the winter so no problem to wait, is it a waste to have a battery sitting doing nothing over the winter or do they not degrade if not being used and stored in a cool place anyway?

2 - this is the main factor, is there a new chance companies will release new models in 2021 so its worth waiting, any idea if anything is in the pipeline?

3 - A further factor is that I buy from pswpower, currently no tax from Germany to UK, however as the UK leaves the EU I might well be stuck with 20% VAT after 1st Jan 2021 so it might be worth buying now unless something epic could be coming out next year.

It is all a bit hypothetical but any thoughts on what you would do in my shoes would be great!

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Buy it now, the PSWPower tax/shipping free prices are good at the moment

Reactions: Nealh

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
don't you think it's unfair to UK suppliers that PSWPower selling without VAT?

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
Surely PSWPower who ship from Germany will be paying VAT applicable in Germany (16%) on every sale regardless of where it is exported to within the EU ?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
No, that's the problem. They are Chinese company, not registered in the EU. They simply treat their customers as traders.
Check your invoice. If I charge VAT, I have to show my VAT registration number and how much VAT you can reclaim if you are a trader.
Goods imported into the EU needs to pay import duty but as long as it's held in a bonded warehouse, VAT is not paid.

egroover

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2016
UK
No, that's the problem. They are Chinese company, not registered in the EU. They simply treat their customers as traders.
Check your invoice. If I charge VAT, I have to show my VAT registration number and how much VAT you can reclaim if you are a trader.
Goods imported into the EU needs to pay import duty but as long as it's held in a bonded warehouse, VAT is not paid.
I guess it's no different to an individual ordering direct from China - Aliexpress, Banggood etc and paying the import duty themselves when it arrives in the UK, they (or the customer) are avoiding VAT unless there is VAT paid by the company locally in China (probably not).
I guess it comes down to an individual's feeling about avoiding VAT, supporting UK business, and the local pre and aftersales service and support they get from you and other UK dealers, as opposed to next to no support for saving a couple of hundred quid on a motor and battery combo kit

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
that loophole (UE cross border trade being exempt of VAT inspection) is closed from 1/1/2021. Brexit protects small UK traders!

• Informative
Reactions: Scorpio

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
It's unfair and shouldn't be allowed to happen.
We can't blame customers for looking for the best deal but the best deal isn't always about the cost. I would put a higher priority on proven after sales service which is why woosh would always be my first choice for a conversion kit.
Dave.

Reactions: Woosh