To convert or to buy new..

Baneli

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 10, 2017
Cambridgeshire
Hey everyone, I have a classic question i'm sure you all hear everyday! been browsing these forums most days now for a while and finally posted about some bikes but now I have a new idea, the idea to convert my old MTB!!

Okay so I have this bike, a 2014 Giant Revel MTB
https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/2014-giant-revel-0-2014

I am new to ebikes, never owned one and decided instead of buying a new car to commute to work with I would try to do the healthy and environment friendly option of biking to work! I am pretty clueless to what makes a good ebike, and since my budget is £800-£1000 I don't want to go mad on something I'm new to.
I have been reading a lot about people mentioning Befang 8fun kits.. now I would love to give it ago at converting my bike but is it really possible? I feel I am handy at tinkering but being the first I have ever done I'm scared to spend the money and mess it up.. specially since I won't have the time or money to correct such issues! Would it just be safer for me to buy something like this;
https://pedalease.co.uk/index.php?rt=product/product&path=70&product_id=13172407
just to see if ebikes are suited to me and maybe have my old Giant bike as a ongoing project over the summer?

I did post about my commute in another thread but its simply a 14-16 mile round trip with a train ride in the middle, shouldn't be a problem with the bike on the train as done it before with the Giant bike. I feel I want to get something that can abide by the UK Laws but at weekends I can flip the switch and pop some more power into the bike for of-road fun with mates! I don't want to be re-stircted all the time when my mates have more powerful and better bikes then I can afford :( sad times!

So really my question is.. to convert my existing bike or to keep it simple and buy a new ebike this time round..?

Thanks to anyone who replies :)

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
That looks like an ideal bike for a conversion. I would recommend either a bafang BBS kit or the GSM from Woosh. Get yourself a 104 BCD spider and keep the 44 and 32 tooth chainwheels.

Reccomendations:
Get a battery that is 15 Ah or more
Get a hydraulic brake cutoff switch

You can set the cut off speed to higher than road legal from the LCD.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing
I'd say the conversion route is the go! Have a search online for reputable vendors of BBS01 250W kits.
There are some helpful and knowledgeable guys about that will help.
It will deliver all you ask and most likely more. ;)

• Agree

jaydeeuk1

Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2014
I know **** all about bikes and managed to fit a bafang BBS02 kit in an hour or two to my new bike (first bike in about 20 years), was incredibly easy just followed a youtube video.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
There are only two issues that people have.
1 getting the cranks off, tool kit from Lidl helps here.
2 dremmeling out the bottom bracket, if needed. Or you could use a file.
Otherwise it's plug and play.

• Informative

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Otherwise it's plug and play.
it's now even easier to fit a hub kit with a left side pedal sensor.
No occasional need for a mallet to undo the bottom bracket.

1) Take the old wheel out, put the new wheel in.
2) Pull the left crank out, drop the pedal sensor in. Bolt the crank back.

Installation of the battery, LCD, brake levers and throttle is identical between the two.

• Informative

Baneli

Mar 10, 2017
Cambridgeshire
I know **** all about bikes and managed to fit a bafang BBS02 kit in an hour or two to my new bike (first bike in about 20 years), was incredibly easy just followed a youtube video.
what video may the be?? :)

I would love to go down this route, then I would feel the bike is truly mine but even coming to buy the kit I have no idea where to get it from and does everything come in this kit? or will I still need to buy other things because I wouldn't even know if everything was there in the kit ha!

Reactions: mountainsport
D

Deleted member 4366

Fitting a Bafang crank-drive kit is really easy. There isn't really anything to mess up, especially if you get a kit that includes the battery.

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
what video may the be?? :)

I would love to go down this route, then I would feel the bike is truly mine but even coming to buy the kit I have no idea where to get it from and does everything come in this kit? or will I still need to buy other things because I wouldn't even know if everything was there in the kit ha!
I know that frustrating feeling, so please don't feel down trodden over it. You have lots of good people on here that can and are willing to help you.

MS.

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh

Baneli

Mar 10, 2017
Cambridgeshire
Fitting a Bafang crank-drive kit is really easy. There isn't really anything to mess up, especially if you get a kit that includes the battery.
You really think so? I'm not to useless when it comes to actually tinkering as long as I don't come across something to much of a hit in the face! I mean my bike is pretty decent, probably just needs a new chain as its a little old! Does anyone know a good website to order a kit from? Befang BBS02 is the only one I have ever heard of but wouldn't even know if its really good or not..? If I went for something more then 250W would that really effect the bikes speed that much to make its not road legal?

Try googling it, check reviews etc.
See whether they know their stuff and will provide support or are simply flogging kits.
Often helps if they've got a phone number and will speak to you, shows they are genuine rather than just a web face so to speak.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
You really think so? I'm not to useless when it comes to actually tinkering as long as I don't come across something to much of a hit in the face! I mean my bike is pretty decent, probably just needs a new chain as its a little old! Does anyone know a good website to order a kit from? Befang BBS02 is the only one I have ever heard of but wouldn't even know if its really good or not..? If I went for something more then 250W would that really effect the bikes speed that much to make its not road legal?
Ignore the 500+ watt claims the bbs 01 can run at over 800watts, the rating system is pants.
A legal kit like that can do 20+ mph on the flat with very little effort.( if the speed was de restricted.
Any motor marked greater than 250 watts is automatically illegal, it doesn't matter what power it really has or speed limit.

Baneli

Mar 10, 2017
Cambridgeshire
Ignore the 500+ watt claims the bbs 01 can run at over 800watts, the rating system is pants.
A legal kit like that can do 20+ mph on the flat with very little effort.( if the speed was de restricted.
Any motor marked greater than 250 watts is automatically illegal, it doesn't matter what power it really has or speed limit.
Okay brilliant.! So I could technically have a legal ebike kit on my bike but have it set by the controller to not cut out at 15mph assist and keep it going? does that mean it will never cut off because I doubt I will ever get up to 30+ haha! How would I go about doing that with say the BBS01 kit? I haven't found anywhere that sells a good version of it yet but still looking.
what would I have to do to make sure a 250watt marked motor can be de-restricted to give me that weekend fun I want!! also are all the Bafang kits mid drive motors? Are they the ones that hand off the bottom of your pedal crank bit? sorry I'm not very technical with all this yet!

Reactions: Andy Bluenoes

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Yes you could, bafangs are adaptable and they come in hub and crank( mid) drive. Ask here if its doable D8veh knows how to adjust most kits.
SW can advise on where to get dongles for posh bikes.
And I will say, it's not worth the risk going illegal.
15 mph uphill is fast. You will out run any normal cyclist in the hills on an ebike. If you have an accident you could lose any claim against the 4*4 etc that hit you.

Baneli

Mar 10, 2017
Cambridgeshire
Yes you could, bafangs are adaptable and they come in hub and crank( mid) drive. Ask here if its doable D8veh knows how to adjust most kits.
SW can advise on where to get dongles for posh bikes.
And I will say, it's not worth the risk going illegal.
15 mph uphill is fast. You will out run any normal cyclist in the hills on an ebike. If you have an accident you could lose any claim against the 4*4 etc that hit you.
of course I don't want it for the road, but I understand that even with the capability to go faster with it makes the bike not road legal.! It's just I can't afford two separate bikes, one for off-road and one for commuting! I guess I will go for the BBS01 250Watt and keep the legal side of things and maybe in a few months when I saved again I can look into a new bike :)

Has anyone has any experience with the Pandaebike conversion kits?

• Informative
D

Deleted member 4366

If you will ride the bike on the road, I'd go for the 25 amp BBS01 from EM3ev because it's completely legal and it makes more 30% more power than a Bosch or Yamaha bike. If you're not worried about the legality, the logical choice would be the BBSHD, which has 40% more power than the 25 amp BBS01.

The only thing you need to worry about with a Bafang BBSxx is getting the right length shaft for your BB. First step: Measure the length of your bottom bracket shell - just the frame, i.e. the bit with paint on. If it's the standard 68mm, you get the standard 68/73mm BBSxx. If it's longer, you have to get one of the special longer ones.

• Informative