Today I found a downside to EMTB's

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Wow! They look mega and ideal for when you need to push your bike through impassable conditions. The only problem I can foresee is that if you wear them with Lycra tights the water on your legs will run down your legs into your boot's, so you need suitable trousers to fit over your boot's But if you do get a pair I would be interested to know if their any good.

I have found that Shimano shoes are small fitting and I have normally bought them one size bigger.
Reading the reviews suggests not the case with these, but looking at the size chart I can go 1/2 a size up..
Anyway, I still haven't spent my birthday money.. so its..
1/ Suspension seat post for the road bike (something else a Roadie wouldn't have..)
2/ New boots,
3/ Purion Display (assuming LBS will fit it.)
4/ Some means of fitting the Garmin on the bars ..
The Boots would definitely be a STEP in the right direction .

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Izzy, sadly just cold water from a hose pipe, although I am in the process of fitting a hot water heater to the outside loo, so perhaps I should extend it to having another outside tap with hot water. There wouldn't be much water pressure, but at least the water would be warm. :)

Gubbins, Izzy has hit the nail on the head, as the only way of having relatively dry feet, is to cover the top of the boot/shoes to stop the water running down the leg and inside.

I bought a pair of Gore-Tex Shimano winter boots about two years ago for about £130.00 and in truth, I might just as well have flushed the money down the drain. The first ride the water ran down my leg and inside the boot, and despite removing the insoles, they took a week to dry out and stunk! This was a weekly ritual with them, and in the end I just used a plastic bag over my feet when using them.
Luckily they fell apart after a year, and I received a full refund from Wiggle.

If you can find a means of stopping the water from entering, they will be a brilliant boot.

Sealskinz socks are just the same. The water runs down your leg, and straight inside the sock, filling it with water that can't escape. At least the water becomes warm after a while though!

With the refund on the original boots, I bought three pairs of Shimano summer boots, and now just rotate wearing them. The BBB thermal overshoes do a brilliant job of keeping feet toasty warm, and because the boots are summer ones, they dry out very quickly.

As an aside, I'm another that wears spd's. I much prefer being clipped in.

Hard to believe that you can get pleasure from returning from a ride looking like this.

Shimano Gore-Tex boots.

And the overshoes, taken during tonight's ride.

edit...Just remembered another clothing method that keeps the legs fairly warm when conditions turn. Cycling shorts, with a pair of Lidl thermal long Johns underneath. They cost a couple of pounds a pair, so it is no big deal if you only use them a few times, before discarding them. Not that I have yet, but they do end up going a bit on the baggy side after a while. looking at the ankles, I suspect I am wearing them in the second photo. Ankles like Norah Batty!!!

Last edited:

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Has to be worth a go. I'd be tempted to put them on the inside of the bib tights rather than on the outside, as you might then have a better chance of the water running down the outside.

I think that I'll get a pair and give it a go. If they fail on the bike, they would still come in handy for work.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Look around ebay and amazon there are a few to choose from.
My view is wear them like roof tiles.. as you say.. gaitors over boots and tights over gaitors so the water should always stay outside.
We have an outdoor shop in town so will go there when boots arive

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
With the cleat holes underneath all in needs is 2 inches of water and your feet are wet. I supose that flats and a decent pair of hiking boots would do it, but I like the spd's.
Have opened a chat with Wiggles and they assure me the cleat holes are full sealed..
Still cringing on the price tho (Aldi Shopper)
The boots may or may not arrive with cleats supplied, mine did, but the summer shoes didn't.

You will find that Shimano also supply a couple of red plastic cover blanks with two raised stud hole covers. These will need to be fitted before the cleat to seal the hole, and then there is a small sticker to go inside the boot/shoes before the insole.

I still wasn't convinced about the waterproofing, so added a smear of silicon sealant prior to all of the above.

To date none of my footwear has let water in via the sole.

• Agree
Reactions: Izzyekerslike

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Won't work! Water still runs down your legs seeps down behind your gaiters and into your boots.
The only solution I know of is a pair of snug fitting, breathable, waterproof over trousers with stirrups that fit under your boots and then another problem arises when you come off in the bad conditions and rip them to bits on the front chain wheel.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Won't work! Water still runs down your legs seeps down behind your gaiters and into your boots.
The only solution I know of is a pair of snug fitting, breathable, waterproof over trousers with stirrups that fit under your boots and then another problem arises when you come off in the bad conditions and rip them to bits on the front chain wheel.
Surely if the gaitors fit snuggly to your legs and over the boot at the ankle, your leggings/tights will zip up over the gaitors then any water has to stay outside..

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Look around ebay and amazon there are a few to choose from.
My view is wear them like roof tiles.. as you say.. gaitors over boots and tights over gaitors so the water should always stay outside.
We have an outdoor shop in town so will go there when boots arive
Maybe I'm missing something but surely you could forget about the gaiters and put your tights straight over your boots and get the same results. Although I must say it could be quite a fight to get your tights over your boots.

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I have 3 pairs.. 2 from aldi (one for road riding only and still look clean and tidy).
And one is the first pair I ever bought.. shimano and weren't cheap but they have done 6 years in all weathers and have been run over in the garage at least 3 times.. so can't complain about shimano.

Related Articles

Advertisers