Today I found a downside to EMTB's

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
so can't complain about shimano.
I can't complain about them either. It was just bad luck as far as I'm concerned.
The only comment that I would make in relation to their footwear, is that they have traditionally produced footwear that has been a bit on the narrow side, but even that issue has now been addressed with much of the range available in wide fit. With the summer shoes, I managed to get a wide fit and half size. Perfect. :)

If I had any sense, Id use my RedHead Ultra Hunter side-zip boots for winter use. They could be a bit tricky to ride in though. :D

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Overshoes are a pain to put on and as my daily post office run is only 4 miles it just isn't worth the effort..
These are the ones I use they open up at the back and are very easy to get on and off, only £12.95 ,they are warm and long lasting. Highly recommended

Screenshot_2016-11-16-22-01-27.png

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
These are the ones I use they open up at the back and are very easy to get on and off, only £12.95 ,they are warm and long lasting. Highly recommended

View attachment 16402
I have aldi's offering which are well made and do the job, but right now they are in the back of the garage caked in mud that doesnt seem to want to dry awaiting a good clean.
TBH there are all sorts of gear out there and we all will have our likes and dislikes, but I am from Yorkshire.. And we are not known for splashing out on shoes an stuff!!.. A bit like a Scot, but English speaking... sort of!!

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
I have aldi's offering which are well made and do the job, but right now they are in the back of the garage caked in mud that doesnt seem to want to dry awaiting a good clean.
TBH there are all sorts of gear out there and we all will have our likes and dislikes, but I am from Yorkshire.. And we are not known for splashing out on shoes an stuff!!.. A bit like a Scot, but English speaking... sort of!!
The PlanetX Overshoes are much thicker neoprene than the Aldi ones, it will please you to know that I have used them on my road bike and mtb for 4 years and still going strong.

I have heard it said that a Yorkshire man is just like a Scotsman... But with the generosity squeezed out!

Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: Tugwell Gibson

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
As they say up this way.
See all, hear all, say nowt, sup all, eat all, pay nowt and if thee ever does owt for nowt, do it for yer self.
Especially if you are from Cleckhudersfax! (spellchecker didn't like this one.)

Sent from a computer keyboard using 2 fingers

Reactions: Izzyekerslike

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Reactions: Izzyekerslike

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
Man, I'm glad I live in the desert. :p
It could be that you would love it, it's a man against elements and the terrain thing, every hill and turn gives you a new view and the more difficult the conditions the more fun it is.
The worst part is having to wash your bike in the freezing cold in wet cycling gear.

• Agree
Reactions: Steve UKLSRA

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Another bonus you wont get in that crappy warm dry weather is the unenviable feeling one gets when you dab your foot down on seemingly solid ground and you sink up to your ankle with the refreshingly cool icy water gushing into your shoe!! And if you are really lucky you fall sideways and get that cold tingly numb feeling that masks the hurt you know you should be experiencing! But, you know you can look forward to that sensation later when you thaw out..
I bet you get none of that...

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Only desert here is eaten after dinner..[emoji513] [emoji510] [emoji511] [emoji512] [emoji508] [emoji507] [emoji509]
He's right, we're all in the custard.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Boots just arrived and am impressed.
I opened a chat with Wiggle re sizing and used their recommendations and first impression is that they are just a tad on the big side but that's with just a thin pair of socks on so room for a couple of layers. No cleats so will call at halfords for a new pair later today.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Bought some new cleats and went for a short run out this morning.
Wearing jeans today which easily covered the boot tops even at the top of the pedal stroke and went looking for a bit of wet mud..
My other cycling shoes are a bit of an exact fit so it was a pleasure to have a bit of Wiggle room for my toes and room for extra socks for when it gets cold..
Laces are a bit thin and cheap feeling but do the job so not too worried as yet and they certainly feel warm and secure when done up.
Water just bounces off and I did try to get them wet so I would give them 4.5 out of 5 because of the Laces.

Revoli

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 27, 2016
Wilts
Wow! They look mega and ideal for when you need to push your bike through impassable conditions. The only problem I can foresee is that if you wear them with Lycra tights the water on your legs will run down your legs into your boot's, so you need suitable trousers to fit over your boot's But if you do get a pair I would be interested to know if their any good.

I have found that Shimano shoes are small fitting and I have normally bought them one size bigger.
The best way to keep your feet dry and warm is as follows. Going from the foot out: good warm wool or similar socks, then goretex socks; then put your bib leggings over that; then your spuds or whatever shoes you use; then neoprene overshoes. Been doing this for many years after an even longer period of trial and error. It minimises amount of water running down the legs as that all goes outside the goretex sock. Used in Alps, sub zero temps, in the worst British muddy conditions and wouldn't do anything else now. At end of day jet wash bike and shoes whilst wearing, feet should still be dry and warm. Berghaus used to make superb goretex socks. If your shoes are tight with all that just take out the inner sole, you won't be needing that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Related Articles

Advertisers